Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning status from shopping (MileagePlus)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus

Hello everyone ,
I'm new to FlyerTalk and the frequent flyer world. I'm not a "frequent flyer" but I will have around 23,000 miles here in a few weeks. Can I order something from one of the partner retailers that United has (earning me 2,000 miles) to receive silver status or do those miles not count towards that? If so what way is there to cheaply earn silver status? Or is it just not worth it?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold

Eqm ( elite qualification miles ) can only be earned through flying.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coplatflyer
Not necessarily true. Some CC can get you EQM's and you can even buy them on UA.com in conjunction with purchasing a ticket (though this one I think you have to already have status)
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
You may get a buy up offer from United because you're so close, but this won't likely arrive in your email until mid the 3rd quarter (that's when mine did in 2011).

Or, if time allows, why not just book a lower EQM fare class flight somewhere to liking and earn those last few miles?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Nothing from retail partners BUT ....
Originally Posted by coplatflyer
no entirely true

OP should look in Premier Accelerator/Elite Maximizer to purchase the missing 2K PQMs. Not cheap, might be $200 - $250 and one may want to ask if Silver is worth that but it is possible. This option is available to all MP members (not just elites).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2013-a.html

BTW, the earlier mentioned credit card appraoch is not available to new customers. None of the new credit cards still offer the PQM option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.