Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I dropped to UA Dirt Feb 1. My Marriott still shows Gold. When do I get downgraded?

i do have the Marriott Chase Visa card which I believe comps Silver via crediting the account 5 nights or something.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I dropped to UA Dirt Feb 1. My Marriott still shows Gold. When do I get downgraded?

i do have the Marriott Chase Visa card which I believe comps Silver via crediting the account 5 nights or something.
March 1st
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Just got a MP email about Marriott Gold renewed for another year.
Enjoy another year of complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status.
We’re pleased to announce that your Marriott Rewards® Gold Elite status has been automatically renewed for 2018. Now you can look forward to another year of great benefits at Marriott® properties worldwide.
Your 2018 benefits include:*
■ 25% bonus on Rewards base points
■ Lounge access/breakfast1
■ Enhanced Wi-Fi
■ Guaranteed late checkout2
■ And much more
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Me too.. except for GS no match to Platinum

Enjoy another year of complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status.We’re pleased to extend Marriott Rewards® Gold Elite status to you for 2018. Please note that the special RewardsPlus promotion from 2017 featuring Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards has ended, but you can still look forward to another year of Elite benefits at Marriott® properties worldwide.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:22 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Me too.. except for GS no match to Platinum
Completing the Marriott Gold hat trick
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780

Me too but I'm not sure what it's suppose to get me.

I am considering going to Malta and Sicily so I searched for hotels there. None on either. Just a Meridien hotel and some other resort on Malta, which would be under the Starwood program, so I wouldn't get those benefits like enhanced Wifi.

Only other trip I have booked already is Singapore and Bali but I already booked the hotels. I would gather that Marriott and SPG properties cost considerably more than the hotels I booked, which aren't suppose to be bad at all.

Marriott seems to be more of a thing in Anglophone world. Meridien gives them some coverage in Europe and Francophone countries but I don't know if Marriott is even an option unless you stay in big capitals all the time.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Got the email as well. However, as SPG LT Plat and therefore MR Plat, this is more than worthless to me.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Me too but I'm not sure what it's suppose to get me.

I am considering going to Malta and Sicily so I searched for hotels there. None on either. Just a Meridien hotel and some other resort on Malta, which would be under the Starwood program, so I wouldn't get those benefits like enhanced Wifi.

Only other trip I have booked already is Singapore and Bali but I already booked the hotels. I would gather that Marriott and SPG properties cost considerably more than the hotels I booked, which aren't suppose to be bad at all.

Marriott seems to be more of a thing in Anglophone world. Meridien gives them some coverage in Europe and Francophone countries but I don't know if Marriott is even an option unless you stay in big capitals all the time.
You can get Starwood Gold with Marriott Gold status. However, Starwood Gold doesn't mean much.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:00 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CIT85
Got the email as well. However, as SPG LT Plat and therefore MR Plat, this is more than worthless to me.
Same, I wish there was a way that we could choose some other benefit instead of this, because for a lot of people this will probably be a wasted benefit.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by fumje
Starwood Gold doesn't mean much.
50% more points than non-status can be significant.

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
for GS no match to Platinum
Don't sweat it. Marriott Platinum is a very tiny marginal improvement over Gold.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
50% more points than non-status can be significant.

Don't sweat it. Marriott Platinum is a very tiny marginal improvement over Gold.
Good point re: points. However, the stay experience for Starwood Gold doesn't seem much distinguished. The significant step for Marriott is Member -> Gold, but for Starwood it's Gold -> Platinum.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
You can link your Marriott and Starwood accounts, match statuses, and transfer points back and forth between them at a 3 to 1 ratio (3 Marriott points = 1 Starwood point). And there are other benefits too. Don't be so quick to sneer at Marriott Gold. Instead, take the time to learn about the ways you can use Marriott and/or Starwood before you dismiss it out of hand.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
You can link your Marriott and Starwood accounts, match statuses, and transfer points back and forth between them at a 3 to 1 ratio (3 Marriott points = 1 Starwood point). And there are other benefits too. Don't be so quick to sneer at Marriott Gold. Instead, take the time to learn about the ways you can use Marriott and/or Starwood before you dismiss it out of hand.
Do you have to book through Marriott directly to earn all the points and benefits?

Seems like their rates are already higher than comparable properties, so maybe those benefits and points make up for the higher prices?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by wco81
Do you have to book through Marriott directly to earn all the points and benefits?

Seems like their rates are already higher than comparable properties, so maybe those benefits and points make up for the higher prices?
No, although they like to imply that you do. I'm not sure if you book through discount booking engines, but you would run the risk of not getting full benefits. This holds true for point redemptions through Chase or other travel programs. You might end up using a consolidator rate that does not get all benefits.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Glad to see this partnership renewed, although the UA GS comp to Marriott Plat will be sorely missed. I am curious when my status dropped from Marriott Gold to Plat. I stayed at the Renaissance Aruba Feb 11-16 and received Platinum benefits. Although, as I type this, the MR points for that stay have not yet posted and I am now fearful I won't get my 50% bonus...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.