Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of 3 March 2019, UA elites are being matched to the new Marriott Bonvoy Gold level including those UA elites who had gone Marriott Plat status during the Marriott / Starwood merger process. Marriott Bonvoy Gold does not include lounge access and late checkout is 2 PM

Archive Thread RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

************************************* Information below applied to the previous arrangement with Marriott and parts are out of date ***********************************
FAQs: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...s.html?lang=en

Q: If I registered and was granted complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus and have re–qualified for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following year, will I need to also re–register my request for complimentary Gold Elite status for the following year?

A: No. Members who have already registered for and received complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus in a calendar year and who qualify for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following calendar year will have their previous registration with RewardsPlus automatically renewed and will receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status for the following calendar year.

-------------------------------

For the United elites who are new to Marriott Rewards, here are the benefits you receive as Gold. Please familiarize yourself with what you are and are not entitled to as a Marriott Gold.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/gold.mi

Also, please be nice to the Marriott 'newbies' who come to this forum to figure out what UA Silver gets (or doesn't get) them.

And here is a thread with some details for the newly-minted UA Silvers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...riences-q.html

RewardsPlus combines the best of MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards

United MileagePlus® and Marriott Rewards® are excited to announce that the exclusive travel benefits of our RewardsPlus program will continue into 2016. Once registered for RewardsPlus, MileagePlus members with Premier® Gold status or higher are eligible for Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, and all of the benefits that come with it. This year’s status offerings will be effective through January 2017.

Go places you’ve dreamed of in 2016 and elevate your experience everywhere.

• MileagePlus Premiers who are already registered: If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016, we’ll automatically renew your benefits in Marriott Rewards for another year, until January 2017
• If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016 and have not yet registered, sign-up now. Registration is easy and complimentary, and you’ll enjoy a year of great benefits with an upgrade to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status
• Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members who are already registered: If you qualify for Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards for 2016, more good news – we’ll automatically renew your benefits in MileagePlus for another year, until January 2017
• All members of both programs: You’ll continue to enjoy a 20% discount every time you convert Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles as well as 10% more miles when you redeem points for RewardsPlus travel packages

Continue to take your benefits above and beyond.

For United MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher, Marriott Rewards will offer Gold Elite status, which includes:

• Lounge access and complimentary continental breakfast at participating JW Marriott®, Renaissance Hotels®, Marriott® Hotels and Autograph Collection® Hotels (Resorts are excluded)
• Room upgrades, based on availability and limited to Member’s personal guest room
• Complimentary in-room enhanced Internet access at more than 3,800 hotels globally
• 25% point bonus on all Marriott stays
• Priority late check-out, based on availability
• Gold Elite customized offers and awards
• One-to-one transfer of MileagePlus miles into Marriott Rewards points, a benefit United’s Premier Silver members will also receive

For Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members, United MileagePlus will offer Premier Silver status, which includes:

• Complimentary access to Economy Plus® at check-in for you and a companion (when available)
• Complimentary Premier Upgrade confirmation as early as day of departure
• Premier Access® priority airport services, including check-in, baggage handling, security screening (where available) and boarding
• One complimentary checked bag, standard size
• 7 award miles for every dollar you spend on United flights*

Elevate your travel experience with another year of RewardsPlus. For more information about RewardsPlus and to learn how to register, visit united.com/rewardsplus or mrrewardsplus.com.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/loyalty-program/pages/elevate-your-experience-with-united-mileageplus-and-marriott-rewards.aspx

While not publicly stated, in 2017, Marriott Platinum Premiers were matched as United Premier Gold (Marriott Platinum Elites are matched as Premier Silver)
and United Global Services members were matched as Marriott Platinum Elites (appears this was for 2017 only and will not be offered in 2018)
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
You won't get Marriott Platinum past the new program launch in February 2019 from UA status.
Why is this said with such certainty. Where is the announcement?

I thought we were still operating under noone knows what is happening Feb.2019. People (and Marriott) barely know what is happening August 2018.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
Notice that last line: "Elite tier will be based on the status earned, not status granted via linking and status matching."
Seems somewhat clear to me that a Marriott Gold matched from UA Gold/Plat/1K will only be Marriot Devalued Gold come August.
That is the way I read it, too. And rather than take a chance, I have decided to hold some Rewarding Meetings before August one to bump my 2018 EQN total to 50 or 75 (will have to assign a value to the extra SNAs),
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu

I thought we were still operating under noone knows what is happening Feb.2019. People (and Marriott) barely know what is happening August 2018.
There is no such announcement.
No one knows what is happening 100% yet.

People say things with such certainty when they're just speculating.

We're all just cogs in a huge rewards program people, I'd like to think my $XX,XXX yearly spend in Marriott is super important, but let's face it, it's chump change. Marriott could care less if my spend goes away to Hilton or hotels.com due to not getting Premier Platinum / Platinum / Gold from United.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by rankourabu

It's abundantly clear from the official answers on the SPG board that the status bumps are only for the interim program that runs from August until February when the new program name launches. The reason for the bumps is to keep everyone whole and not take away benefits in middle of an elite year. Next elite year it's back to business as regular.

Of course United can negotiate for their elites to get Marriott Platinum going forward, but otherwise it will be back to Gold next February. Now that Platinum members get suite upgrades, I think the odds that UA will be able to negotiate Platinum is very small.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
It's abundantly clear from the official answers on the SPG board that the status bumps are only for the interim program that runs from August until February when the new program name launches. The reason for the bumps is to keep everyone whole and not take away benefits in middle of an elite year. Next elite year it's back to business as regular.

Of course United can negotiate for their elites to get Marriott Platinum going forward, but otherwise it will be back to Gold next February. Now that Platinum members get suite upgrades, I think the odds that UA will be able to negotiate Platinum is very small.
There is no guarantee that UA elites will even be Gold beginning in February. The partnership may dissolve altogether. Or, it may continue in some other form.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
You won't get Marriott Platinum past the new program launch in February 2019 from UA status.
And that is my point!!!! If in the unlikely event that UA Gold+ does maintain Platinum in the new program post February then I sever my loyalty to Marriott and do a few mileage runs with UA. After that, you won't see me on another UA flight for a year but you will see me in the Marriott Lounge.

James
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Does that mean it will be status quo with MR Golds becoming Platinum in the new program? Possibly, but I think at the detriment of the Platinum Premiere in the new program.
Does the existing RewardsPlus program come at the detriment of Platinum (or Gold, for that matter) in the current program?

RewardsPlus favours UA MileagePlus members over Current MR Platinum Elites as I see it.
The fact that half of the posters on this board feel this way, and half feel the opposite, is a pretty good indication that they got the balance correct.

It is apparent that Marriott values UA gold/platinum/1K more than UA values MR Platinum Elites. Perhaps UA was a better negotiator. The reality is that with status matching, RewardsPlus, Credit Card affiliations and the monetization of benefits on standard room "packages" for non-elites, the Elite Program has been watered down.
And you expect this to change with the introduction of the new Marriott program?

I can do a few quick UA Mileage Runs in January, obtain UA Gold and be granted Platinum in Marriotts new program for a couple grand rather than $10K-$15K to obtain it organically.
The average Marriott customer would pay nowhere near that amount for Gold status. $15K is three quarters of the way to Ambassador status in the new program. The vast majority of Marriott properties are available for less than $100 per night and have no lounge anyway. I understand that not everyone stays in those properties, but when you’re trying to figure out what UA and Marriott may to do in terms of a status match, it’s good to know how your profile stacks up against others. These numbers suggest that you’re a serious outlier in the Marriott program, so — while I’m sure they appreciate your business — your experience is unlikely to be representative.

I don’t know if the Marriott Rewards credit card is available to Canadian residents, but keep in mind that many US members only need 35 nights to reach New MR Platinum — $3500 or so, even without booking any meetings.

At least 100 hours of in-flight time.... There are 168 hours in a week! You cannot reach New Platinum in January based on stays, not enough days in the month to do that.
Certainly you can (although what’s the hurry?). With the demise of the rollover night, though, it does require at least one meeting. Or you can “suffer” for an additional four nights at New Gold before your New Platinum status kicks in (if a credit card holder)

If I am spending $2K to attain New Platinum via RewardsPlus on flights the bag fee is inconsequential compared to spending $10K+ on organic stays for the same benefit.
Not only do the vast majority of MR Gold/New Platinum members spend nowhere near that, most UA Gold members spend more than $2K. Here, you’re benefitting from the PQD waiver for non-US residents — which is very much the sort of diluting of benefits you’re decrying in other situations.

Would you be incentivized to attain UA Gold if your lounge access was dependent on how busy it was when you wanted to use it?
It very much is, at least if you want to sit down. And again, you’re benefitting from being Canadian — many UA Gold members get lounge access on 0% of their flights (US members who don’t fly internationally).

E+ ACCESS is not the same as Lounge, Late Check out & Breakfast GUARANTEED!
None of those three things are guaranteed. There are plenty of lounges closed on weekends, in addition to the fact that the majority of properties don’t have a lounge at all. There are a couple of brands that exclude Late Check Out, and the Breakfast guarantee is applicable only to about 2/3 of the brands.

If a MR Gold granted from UA Gold+ arrives at a hotel an hour before I do and gets the last available upgrade then shouldn't a MR Platinum Elite granted UA Silver get the last upgrade on a flight when arriving at the airport before a UA Gold+?
If that’s the way the programs operated, yes. It’s not.

It is easy to argue "balance" when you are on the "favourable" side! There is nothing balanced about it.
Again, your point of view is extremely colored by your rather unusual travel profile.

As such, I remain and happy to USE UA to attain Gold and be granted New Platinum at a fraction of the outlay because apparently Marriott values UA Gold+ members more than their own organic Elites.
I’m sure both Marriott and UA would be happy with that situation, so I’m not exactly sure what’s eating you up.

I already have 64 stays combined this year, spent the first 2 months of 2018 on an RTW trip booked in Business and First for 2 on awards and currently have 37 Y & J & F flights booked between August and November and another 17 between February and March.
It would be insanity for either an airline or a hotel chain to tailor their program for people who meet your profile. No offense intended; it’s just that this further proves my point. You’re an outlier. You’ll likely always be on the short end of one stick and very much on the long end of another, just because you do things that most people don’t do and therefore that most programs don’t consider.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And none of us know how this is going to turn out, as I for one, plan to just wait and see, and than make a decision that works for me personally -- I would not expect you to do different. Marriott / UA have a vast range of customers to consider and they have the date, we'll see what they do (in their self-interest)
This, 100%.

Would you keep the same position if Marriott had named their new tiers Bronze / Silver / Gold / Platinum? New Marriott Platinum is basically Marriott Gold. It’s not immediately apparent to me that New Platinum is much different than current Gold. It’s clear that matched status will not grant Suite Night Awards (although I’m not sure those will be that useful — they’re not guaranteed, so they’re a lot like RPUs). And nobody really knows how suite upgrades will be prioritized, but, again, the vast majority of Marriott properties have few / no suites.

And that is my point!!!! If in the unlikely event that UA Gold+ does maintain Platinum in the new program post February then I sever my loyalty to Marriott and do a few mileage runs with UA.
That’s certainly your prerogative. I don’t consider it the least bit unlikely that this is how things shake out. Personally, I can’t imagine 50K of PQM — especially in mileage run form — in order to get new Marriott Platinum status — but, then, I mostly stay at non-suite, non-lounge properties at $80-$110 per night.

As a lifetime UA Gold, and within a month (or less) of being a lifetime Marriott New Platinum Premier, I don’t have any skin in the game. However, I’m a big fan of the partnership, from the extra miles on Marriott -> United transfers to the new bonus miles for linked hotel stays, and I hope they continue to find ways to improve it.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Just curious; Does 100% of United, United Express aircraft have E+?

Thanks

James
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:53 am

Just curious; Does 100% of United, United Express aircraft have E+?

Thanks

James
From my experience flying a combination of UA/UX aircraft (including 737, 757, 767, 787, C/ERJs) the answer is a definite yes and across the fleet there are at least 1 seat that is objectively awesome (i.e. tons of legroom).

One other point I'd argue about are those who say that Marriott got a raw deal from UA since they only get Silver for their most elite travellers while Golds and above got Gold access (with lounge access, late check-out, etc.). The problem with this assertion is you're comparing Apples to Oranges.

Sure us UA Golds get lounge access/breakfast and late check out but the Marriott Elites also get several items of value: one free checked bag, Economy+ seating for themselves and a +1 at checkin which can easily cost hundreds of dollars on an international itinerary and the occasional upgrade. Depending on how you work those benefits you can easily get hundreds if not thousands of dollars in value if you're a UA flyer who doesn't tick all the boxes necessary to get status (i.e. PQD).

The next level up (UA Gold) is IMHO even more valuable than Silver since you can choose E+ seating at purchase, which given the limited amount of E+ seating is going to make it harder and harder for us loyalist who fly Executive Economy on UA to get. Upgrades are slightly better which is neither here nor there. The major draw of the Gold, however, is you're now considered a VIP flyer by *A and are granted access to priority everything (including rebooking in the case of WX/MX IRROPs) and lounge access. Having been to several Marriott including the JW Marriott in Dubai, I can assure you that the lounges at a SPMarriott can't hold a candle against the wonderful *A lounges in Asia. In particular the NH and SQ lounges!

If you're a SPMarriott loyalist and are upset at your lounge space being eaten up, you should be more concerned about the kettles who have a credit card or worse association membership that grants them these benefits! At least in our case we are frequent travellers who are racking up tens of thousands of miles travelled each and every year!

Personally, I won't be too upset if I stay at Gold. Most of the time I'm staying at Marriott that don't even have a lounge (i.e. Courtyard) or already include breakfast (i.e. Residence Inn). Having done a Status Match run this year using my Marriott Gold (and achieving Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond Select and Choice Gold), with all else being equal (and supposing JW Marriott is out of price range) I'll choose either SPMarriott (if I want the guaranteed late checkout) or Hilton (if I want the better breakfast). Unlike airlines (who often are part of a global alliance), it's much more difficult to remain loyal to hotels these days when pricing, availability and quality vary rapidly between regions and time.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
From my experience flying a combination of UA/UX aircraft (including 737, 757, 767, 787, C/ERJs) the answer is a definite yes and across the fleet there are at least 1 seat that is objectively awesome (i.e. tons of legroom).
There’s no such thing as “objectively awesome.”

Every UA plane has E+ seats. The CRJ-200 only has four (of 50), and the legroom isn’t that different on them. Every other plane has a meaningful E+ cabin.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
There’s no such thing as “objectively awesome.”

The "objective" measure I use in my case is if I can extend my legs up fully horizontally. If we want to put this into a measure I'd say the pitch should be 40 inches or more. Another benefit of E+ seating is access to a power outlet.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Every UA plane has E+ seats. The CRJ-200 only has four (of 50), and the legroom isn’t that different on them. Every other plane has a meaningful E+ cabin.
In my experience flying them, there's usually an emergency exit row that provides a respectable amount of leg room (certainly not as nice as the mythical 1A seat on the ERJs which are both a window and an aisle and allow you to stretch out your legs full).

Joking aside, those E+ seats really do make a difference on the longer haul flights (i.e. EWR -> SFO or ORD -> NRT). In particular on the 777 there are emergency exit rows that allow you to have a window seat and literally be able to get out of your seat, walk into the galley without having to wake anyone or (or wait for them to wake up for that matter) which makes a huge difference on a 15 hour flight!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "objective" measure I use in my case is if I can extend my legs up fully horizontally. If we want to put this into a measure I'd say the pitch should be 40 inches or more. Another benefit of E+ seating is access to a power outlet.
There are only a smattering of E+ seats in the fleet that offer 40” of pitch, and they’re all situations where there’s no seat immediately in front of the passenger. E+ is 34-36” in most cases; exit rows may be closer to 38”.

In-seat power is not available in all planes (although, in planes where it is available, it’s universal within E+).

In my experience flying them, there's usually an emergency exit row that provides a respectable amount of leg room
The exit row seat on the CRJ-200 is not sold as E+. I think it does offer a bit more legroom, but all seats on the CRJ-200 are pretty awful.

Joking aside, those E+ seats really do make a difference on the longer haul flights (i.e. EWR -> SFO or ORD -> NRT). In particular on the 777 there are emergency exit rows that allow you to have a window seat and literally be able to get out of your seat, walk into the galley without having to wake anyone or (or wait for them to wake up for that matter) which makes a huge difference on a 15 hour flight!
No question (although it helps to peruse the “Where to sit on a XXX” threads .
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
From Marriott Insiders announcement:

As a valued United MileagePlus® Premier® member who is currently receiving complimentary Marriott Rewards® Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus, you’ll be elevated to Platinum Elite status in August 2018 through January 2019, as a result of Marriott Rewards®, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® and Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®) becoming one Loyalty Program.* Platinum Elite benefits will include lounge access (restrictions apply), 50% points bonus and more.

Starting in August 2018, RewardsPlus offers members the following benefits:

United MileagePlus members receive:
  • Complimentary Gold Elite status in Rewards and SPG (open to MileagePlus Premier Gold members and above, registration required***)
  • Conversion of MileagePlus award miles into points at a 1:1 ratio (open to Premier Silver members and above, registration not required)
  • 10% more MileagePlus miles when converting points into MileagePlus miles (open to all members, registration not required)
  • 10% more MileagePlus miles when redeeming points for RewardsPlus Travel Packages (open to all members, registration not required)

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...rogram-changes
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
This, buried in the footnotes, is why as of February 2019, Marriott will be no more desirable to me than Hilton or Hyatt, where I also hold "mediocre tier" status:

In February 2019, all registered MileagePlus members who requalify for RewardsPlus for the next program year will receive the updated Gold Elite status benefits for a full calendar year with Rewards and SPG.
Kannai likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Being August now, has anyone seen this happen? My Marriott account is still showing Gold. Got my RewardsPlus renewal email in February as a 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.