Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of 3 March 2019, UA elites are being matched to the new Marriott Bonvoy Gold level including those UA elites who had gone Marriott Plat status during the Marriott / Starwood merger process. Marriott Bonvoy Gold does not include lounge access and late checkout is 2 PM

Archive Thread RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

************************************* Information below applied to the previous arrangement with Marriott and parts are out of date ***********************************
FAQs: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...s.html?lang=en

Q: If I registered and was granted complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus and have re–qualified for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following year, will I need to also re–register my request for complimentary Gold Elite status for the following year?

A: No. Members who have already registered for and received complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus in a calendar year and who qualify for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following calendar year will have their previous registration with RewardsPlus automatically renewed and will receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status for the following calendar year.

-------------------------------

For the United elites who are new to Marriott Rewards, here are the benefits you receive as Gold. Please familiarize yourself with what you are and are not entitled to as a Marriott Gold.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/gold.mi

Also, please be nice to the Marriott 'newbies' who come to this forum to figure out what UA Silver gets (or doesn't get) them.

And here is a thread with some details for the newly-minted UA Silvers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...riences-q.html

RewardsPlus combines the best of MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards

United MileagePlus® and Marriott Rewards® are excited to announce that the exclusive travel benefits of our RewardsPlus program will continue into 2016. Once registered for RewardsPlus, MileagePlus members with Premier® Gold status or higher are eligible for Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, and all of the benefits that come with it. This year’s status offerings will be effective through January 2017.

Go places you’ve dreamed of in 2016 and elevate your experience everywhere.

• MileagePlus Premiers who are already registered: If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016, we’ll automatically renew your benefits in Marriott Rewards for another year, until January 2017
• If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016 and have not yet registered, sign-up now. Registration is easy and complimentary, and you’ll enjoy a year of great benefits with an upgrade to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status
• Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members who are already registered: If you qualify for Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards for 2016, more good news – we’ll automatically renew your benefits in MileagePlus for another year, until January 2017
• All members of both programs: You’ll continue to enjoy a 20% discount every time you convert Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles as well as 10% more miles when you redeem points for RewardsPlus travel packages

Continue to take your benefits above and beyond.

For United MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher, Marriott Rewards will offer Gold Elite status, which includes:

• Lounge access and complimentary continental breakfast at participating JW Marriott®, Renaissance Hotels®, Marriott® Hotels and Autograph Collection® Hotels (Resorts are excluded)
• Room upgrades, based on availability and limited to Member’s personal guest room
• Complimentary in-room enhanced Internet access at more than 3,800 hotels globally
• 25% point bonus on all Marriott stays
• Priority late check-out, based on availability
• Gold Elite customized offers and awards
• One-to-one transfer of MileagePlus miles into Marriott Rewards points, a benefit United’s Premier Silver members will also receive

For Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members, United MileagePlus will offer Premier Silver status, which includes:

• Complimentary access to Economy Plus® at check-in for you and a companion (when available)
• Complimentary Premier Upgrade confirmation as early as day of departure
• Premier Access® priority airport services, including check-in, baggage handling, security screening (where available) and boarding
• One complimentary checked bag, standard size
• 7 award miles for every dollar you spend on United flights*

Elevate your travel experience with another year of RewardsPlus. For more information about RewardsPlus and to learn how to register, visit united.com/rewardsplus or mrrewardsplus.com.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/loyalty-program/pages/elevate-your-experience-with-united-mileageplus-and-marriott-rewards.aspx

While not publicly stated, in 2017, Marriott Platinum Premiers were matched as United Premier Gold (Marriott Platinum Elites are matched as Premier Silver)
and United Global Services members were matched as Marriott Platinum Elites (appears this was for 2017 only and will not be offered in 2018)
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
From today's Onemileatatime post, seems Untied Gold and up will get new Marriott Platinum status, possible at least by year end :

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....status-update/

There’s an update there. Nights earned will determine status in the new program, but not linking accounts. This means that SPG Gold members who earned Marriott Gold from linking accounts will not receive Marriott Platinum status come August. However, United RewardsPlus members would earn Marriott Platinum status, since they didn’t earn the status by linking their SPG account.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by sincx
The vast majority of routes have E+ (both aisle and window) available at the 24-hour check-in window. That's dozens or hundreds of dollars in savings per flight. E+, unlike CPUs, is a tangible benefit that can be used 90%+ of the time by silvers.

The old Marriott gold included free breakfast, which is a tangible and for-certain benefit with significant value, as much as $15-$20 per person per night, in addition to late checkout.
Most travelers are actually willing to pay $15-20 for breakfast. Nobody, to a first approximation, is willing to pay $79, $99, or $129 for an E+ seat, which is why UA tries to sell one to every single person that books a ticket, gives them out for free to GS (+ 8 companions), 1K (+8 companions), Platinum (+8 companions), and Gold (+1 companion), and still may have some left at T-24. It's not worth nothing, but it's certainly not worth anywhere near what UA charges.

IMO the late checkout benefit is analogous to E+ at T-24. Neither is guaranteed, and some people may not value the extra time, just like some may not value the extra legroom, but it can be useful to have.

Originally Posted by tomwhom
From today's Onemileatatime post, seems Untied Gold and up will get new Marriott Platinum status, possible at least by year end :

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....status-update/

There’s an update there. Nights earned will determine status in the new program, but not linking accounts. This means that SPG Gold members who earned Marriott Gold from linking accounts will not receive Marriott Platinum status come August. However, United RewardsPlus members would earn Marriott Platinum status, since they didn’t earn the status by linking their SPG account.
For one year. After that it will presumably revert to new Marriott Gold.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milypan
.... For one year. After that it will presumably revert to new Marriott Gold.
Is that a guess or have you some new information to back that up?
Old May 9, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
For one year. After that it will presumably revert to new Marriott Gold.
Isn't it from August -> December? So 5/6 months? Then everyone must qualify (or get it via United, whomever, etc) as of January and onward for their status?
Old May 10, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
.....But, Hertz got a rental that they wouldn't otherwise have gotten, which is all they care about.

"Loyalty program" is an almost Orwellian turn of phrase. MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards are both marketing programs.....

And it definitely paid off for them in my case.
I've used Hertz and Marriott a LOT more than I used to before getting status with them through UA.
coolbeans202 and dinoscool3 like this.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is that a guess or have you some new information to back that up?
Marriott clearly stated that the Current Marriott Gold -> New Marriott Platinum bump, which is what we're discussing above, is a one-time deal. So no, it's not new information, but it's not in dispute either.*

It's possible that Marriott might choose to start giving UA elites the (new) Marriott Platinum tier, just like it's possible that UA might choose to start giving Marriott elites the UA Gold tier, but that would be totally independent of what's being discussed in the linked blog post above, and I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

* To be clear on the details, the blog post above is discussing the status of current Marriott Gold members who have Marriott Gold by virtue of being SPG Gold. The question is whether they qualify for the complimentary one-year upgrade from current Marriott Gold to new Marriott Platinum – i.e., can you go SPG Gold -> current Marriott Gold -> new Marriott Platinum (for one year). The answer is no, that is a match too far. However, since UA Gold was matching into current Marriott Gold, they do qualify for the one-year bump. Presumably if UA had instead been partners with SPG prior to the merger, then UA elites would not have qualified for the one-year bump.

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Isn't it from August -> December? So 5/6 months? Then everyone must qualify (or get it via United, whomever, etc) as of January and onward for their status?
Yes, you're right, it's really more like a six-month bump.

Last edited by milypan; May 11, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Old May 11, 2018, 6:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Marriott clearly stated that the Current Marriott Gold -> New Marriott Platinum bump, which is what we're discussing above, is a one-time deal. So no, it's not new information, but it's not in dispute either.*

It's possible that Marriott might choose to start giving UA elites the (new) Marriott Platinum tier, just like it's possible that UA might choose to start giving Marriott elites the UA Gold tier, but that would be totally independent of what's being discussed in the linked blog post above, and I certainly wouldn't bet on it......
So while I agree with this speculation as the likely outcome, it is speculation and no new information. So we need to wait to hear from MR
Old May 11, 2018, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So while I agree with this speculation as the likely outcome, it is speculation and no new information. So we need to wait to hear from MR
Sure, anything could happen. My point is simply that the Onemileatatime post should not change your expectations about whether MR will start granting UA elites Platinum status in 2019 and beyond by one iota.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, anything could happen. My point is simply that the Onemileatatime post should not change your expectations about whether MR will start granting UA elites Platinum status in 2019 and beyond by one iota.
Especially since omaat first said RewardsPlus wouldn't get Platinum at all.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by fumje
Especially since omaat first said RewardsPlus wouldn't get Platinum at all.
Especially since omaat, like the rest of us, has no clue or insight on what is going to happen, and is only doing posts to push credit card referrals.

Sometimes I wonder even if United and Marriott know already what the plan is for 2019.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
I doubt they've talked about it. In previous years they always renew in January for the next year.
east_west likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I doubt they've talked about it. In previous years they always renew in January for the next year.
that's exactly what i said, yet, everyone seems to have expected them to have figured this out right when the merger details were announced lol
Old May 12, 2018, 6:11 pm

No more complimentary breakfast? Then I am done with Marriott. Will transfer my SPG miles through Chase to some airline program and not look back. Was good as long as it lasted.
Unfortunately nowadays good things don't last very long anymore.
mathprof and dinoscool3 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Frequentmiler claims that in future UA elites will only get the new devalued Marriott Gold:
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...before-august/

Is there actually any information/confirmation on this yet?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by a9504477
Frequentmiler claims that in future UA elites will only get the new devalued Marriott Gold:
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...before-august/

Is there actually any information/confirmation on this yet?
No. No information either way. I wouldn't hold your breathe though. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.