Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:03 am

wake up and find out United program becomes better
There is no better way to start a day
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
If I was a Marriott guy, I would be upset!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Stay tuned for responses from existing 50+ night Marriott Golds (and higher) who already experience overcrowded lounges and aren't going to like this at all.
I'd be one of those with that concern. I'd also ask when I can comp my Marriott Platinum to UA Platinum.

I'm certainly happy that it sounds like travel packages should convert 156K miles instead of 120K miles (20%+10%).
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I'm sighing in relief that UA didn't partner with super8

are we seeing a new trend - instead of just airline rewards or hotel rewards or car rewards, we'll unify around "travel rewards" ? UA partnering with Marriott and some car rental company or cruise company ?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 787fan
I'm sighing in relief that UA didn't partner with super8

are we seeing a new trend - instead of just airline rewards or hotel rewards or car rewards, we'll unify around "travel rewards" ? UA partnering with Marriott and some car rental company or cruise company ?
or formally become a part of Chase?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Does this effectively mean that MMs and their significant others will have "lifetime" Marriott Gold/Platinum status as well?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Marriott Plat here so no real benefit (again, it would be nice if being plat could put you up one level with MP, eg Silver to Gold or Gold to Plat)

The easy transfer will be nice!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by mecabq
(I would have expected United to partner with Choice Hotels, actually.)
UA and Westin used to be part of the same company (along with Hertz) so one might have thought Starwood approached them first before doing its deal with DL. However, since UA's management is CO, suppose the historical link wasn't even in anyone's mind.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
This is great for UA elites, great for Marriott (if replies in this thread are any indication). Bad for MR elites, especially MR Golds. As MR Plat, UA Premier Silver is a joke. A more equivalent relationships would have been giving UA 1Ks given MR Silver; or giving MR Gold and Plats UA Premier Gold.

While the 25% bonus miles will be nice, the other benefits are a joke with the possible exception of free bag for those that check bags. Upgrades will never happen (I buy F or J on UA when I fly them anyway) and I don't know about E+ availability but the benefit is at check-in so my guess is middle seat at best on today's full flights.

So for 25% extra UA miles, we are once again degrading Marriott lounge experience by adding more elites to already crowded domestic lounges. I must say that UA management was very adept in negotiating this relationship and Marriott only looked at the quantity of customers at the expense of their elite experience. JMHO.

BTW, for those of you unfamiliar with MR: MR and RCR are identical except for the promotions each programs' members receive. The redemption rates for MR and RCR members are identical at Marriott and RC properties. The lounge access policies are identical, which means no elite access to RC clubs if anyone is salivating. Rules and benefits are identical.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
with the current tie up between MM and HHonors, i'm actually surprised it's with marriott. i'm not displeased with it, just surprised.

so spg is my primary which gets me priority boarding and check in. hyatt is my secondary so i get status there. and now this will get me gold on marriott.

last year i randomly just got a hilton gold card as well saying that as a "valued UA flyer" they sponsored me without even asking. again, still surprised it didn't go hilton. i guess hilton (and AA) are the only two places i don't get anything. i'm guessing that'll change somehow.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), AA P, Marriott PP (LT PP), SPG P (LT P), HH G, and Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shttrdrvr
Marriott keeps those programs completely different. Can't redeem points from Marriott to R-C.
That's not true. I redeem Marriott Rewrds all the time for RC and earn Marriott Rewards points when staying at Ritz-Carltom all the time. As Marriott Platinum I get full Ritz benefits (which are not much....).
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
This is great news, I mainly stay at SPG but will be nice to get status treatment on my Marriott stays. Thanks UA !
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great news! True enhancement.^

I hope UA Insider can clarify if MR Gold match is a one-time deal or is it annual, as long you remain UA Gold? MR Gold needs to be re-qualified every year.

EDIT: Found answer. It is a one-time match.
5. Complimentary status offerings are valid through January 31, 2014.
https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...tusMatchTC.jsp

Last edited by TerryK; Jul 15, 2013 at 8:00 am
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Wonder who AA will be "partnering" with...Hilton I suppose
AA and HH only makes sense. If for no other reason than the stupid double-letter thing.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:32 am

As a Marriott Plat and nearing lifetime Gold with a ton of points in both programs I can't say this helps me that much. However I think it is a good partnership and certainly much better news than we spent the past 4 days fretting over

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.