Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
Correct guess that this announcement would be a hotel partnership: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21093193-post305.html

Originally Posted by 777lover
My guess is a partnership with a hotel chain (mc maybe?) a la DL and Starwood.
Correct guess that the partner would be Marriott: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21094850-post317.html
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
If it's going to be a hotel partnership, my bet would be on the mediocrity of Marriott. I'd like to think Hyatt, but I think that's too much of a stretch.

I'm guessing (/hoping) it's more along the lines of AA's Elite Rewards though. Which would be somewhat ironic, as I JUST wrote a post about how nothing happened when I hit 40K PQMs on United
I don't really share the sentiment about "mediocrity"; this is a nice deal for a bunch of travelers and it's great to see UA doing it. I also am not a very good Hotel Experience Maximizer (am much better at air travel).
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by CDKing
Except for UA silvers will not be happy
Maybe? I guess the bad part is more competition for E+ seats because a Silver shouldn't be expecting upgrades anyway. In my mind, the only benefits that would affect other silvers is access to E+ (more competition at T-24) and a few more people in the Premier Access line which affects all elites. The other benefits of silver like checked baggage and whatnot doesn't really impact my travel experience. In addition, I'd speculate that high level elites in hotel programs likely have reasonable status on some airline, so may be significant overlap.

We'll see what happens.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This is some welcome news to see walking off the plane Monday morning. I was fearing the worst and this is solid. The only thing I would've liked to see is the crossover earnings a la DL and SPG, but apart from that I'm happy not to need to go out of my way to re-earn Marriott Gold and to have a nice transfer rate.

The scariest thing about this new partnership was the fact that upon entering my MP number to register it already knew my Marriott number even though I've never done any cross promotions between the two. Oh well big data at its best.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Color me surprised! A great enhancement for those that do not already have Marriott elite status and for those of us that do, the points earning/transfer opportunities are a nice benefit. ^^
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Announcing RewardsPlus

Not much I can say, except this is a nice perk. I don't have Marriott status, but in case I stay at one of their hotels I now will. It may, make me stay at one now too.

One thumbs up to UA for adding a benefit, unlike taking them away, as we suspected when the vague twitter announcement went out last week.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Nice, but not that nice. I was at 49 nights with marriott this year anyways.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I would expect Marriott to make some changes if lounge overcrowding gets worse, such as limiting to one guest per member, or reduced food offering (no more hot breakfast). Room upgrades (rare for Golds anyway) will be even less likely.

Probably the best benefit for me has been the free WiFi. which can be very expensive, particularly at urban properties.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
A change I actually like? ^

I am a loyal SPG customer, but I can see myself staying at Marriott here and there a little more often now. At the least, have it as my secondary hotel chain choice after the Hilton devaluation debacle.

Let's hope this positive news isn't superseded by worse bad news.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by CDKing
Except for UA silvers will not be happy
I have to imagine that anybody who travels enough to make Platinum on Marriott already has a high likelihood of being Silver on United, except I guess if they're mainly traveling on DL, AA, or WN already but will take advantage of a lower fare and silver status on occasion. I wouldn't expect a large impact.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
A very nice enhancement, more generous in my mind than the Delta-Starwood partnership. I won't take much advantage of these perks though since I'm primarily an SPG/Hilton/Accor customer. But I'm sure I'll get some stays in over the years and will appreciate the perks. Who knows, maybe I'll ditch Hilton for Marriott next year.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Doesn't do anything for me as I am already a Marriott Platinum with 200+ nights for the year so far.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
maybe this is me going bye bye to Hilton....nothing was taken away, so im happy
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
As Marriott Platinum I already have a tough time with upgrades. Now I'm going to be fighting to get a cot in the parking lot...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:52 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
I appreciate this offer from United & Marriott. Gold status will provide me another good option for booking hotels away from my regular hotel loyalty programs.

UAInsider, these are the types of benefits United elites like to receive, a real and tangible benefit.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Interesting after the Starwood/Delta tie-up. Wonder who AA will be "partnering" with...Hilton I suppose (they did that movie together).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.