Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of 3 March 2019, UA elites are being matched to the new Marriott Bonvoy Gold level including those UA elites who had gone Marriott Plat status during the Marriott / Starwood merger process. Marriott Bonvoy Gold does not include lounge access and late checkout is 2 PM

Archive Thread RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

************************************* Information below applied to the previous arrangement with Marriott and parts are out of date ***********************************
FAQs: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...s.html?lang=en

Q: If I registered and was granted complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus and have re–qualified for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following year, will I need to also re–register my request for complimentary Gold Elite status for the following year?

A: No. Members who have already registered for and received complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus in a calendar year and who qualify for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following calendar year will have their previous registration with RewardsPlus automatically renewed and will receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status for the following calendar year.

-------------------------------

For the United elites who are new to Marriott Rewards, here are the benefits you receive as Gold. Please familiarize yourself with what you are and are not entitled to as a Marriott Gold.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/gold.mi

Also, please be nice to the Marriott 'newbies' who come to this forum to figure out what UA Silver gets (or doesn't get) them.

And here is a thread with some details for the newly-minted UA Silvers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...riences-q.html

RewardsPlus combines the best of MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards

United MileagePlus® and Marriott Rewards® are excited to announce that the exclusive travel benefits of our RewardsPlus program will continue into 2016. Once registered for RewardsPlus, MileagePlus members with Premier® Gold status or higher are eligible for Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, and all of the benefits that come with it. This year’s status offerings will be effective through January 2017.

Go places you’ve dreamed of in 2016 and elevate your experience everywhere.

• MileagePlus Premiers who are already registered: If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016, we’ll automatically renew your benefits in Marriott Rewards for another year, until January 2017
• If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016 and have not yet registered, sign-up now. Registration is easy and complimentary, and you’ll enjoy a year of great benefits with an upgrade to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status
• Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members who are already registered: If you qualify for Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards for 2016, more good news – we’ll automatically renew your benefits in MileagePlus for another year, until January 2017
• All members of both programs: You’ll continue to enjoy a 20% discount every time you convert Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles as well as 10% more miles when you redeem points for RewardsPlus travel packages

Continue to take your benefits above and beyond.

For United MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher, Marriott Rewards will offer Gold Elite status, which includes:

• Lounge access and complimentary continental breakfast at participating JW Marriott®, Renaissance Hotels®, Marriott® Hotels and Autograph Collection® Hotels (Resorts are excluded)
• Room upgrades, based on availability and limited to Member’s personal guest room
• Complimentary in-room enhanced Internet access at more than 3,800 hotels globally
• 25% point bonus on all Marriott stays
• Priority late check-out, based on availability
• Gold Elite customized offers and awards
• One-to-one transfer of MileagePlus miles into Marriott Rewards points, a benefit United’s Premier Silver members will also receive

For Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members, United MileagePlus will offer Premier Silver status, which includes:

• Complimentary access to Economy Plus® at check-in for you and a companion (when available)
• Complimentary Premier Upgrade confirmation as early as day of departure
• Premier Access® priority airport services, including check-in, baggage handling, security screening (where available) and boarding
• One complimentary checked bag, standard size
• 7 award miles for every dollar you spend on United flights*

Elevate your travel experience with another year of RewardsPlus. For more information about RewardsPlus and to learn how to register, visit united.com/rewardsplus or mrrewardsplus.com.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/loyalty-program/pages/elevate-your-experience-with-united-mileageplus-and-marriott-rewards.aspx

While not publicly stated, in 2017, Marriott Platinum Premiers were matched as United Premier Gold (Marriott Platinum Elites are matched as Premier Silver)
and United Global Services members were matched as Marriott Platinum Elites (appears this was for 2017 only and will not be offered in 2018)
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
From my perspective, the RewardsPlus program did exactly what it was supposed to in that I directed a decent amount of hotel stays towards Marriott that would've gone to Hilton. If the breakfast/lounge access go away, then I'll just go back to Hilton (for better or worse).
Xyzzy, 1K Student, nsx1164 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Tried writing to 1kvoice, and got this response:

Dear Mr. tarheelnj:

I apologize, at this time we haven't been advised of any changes with the Marriott status match program. I'm sorry to disappoint you, Mr. tarheelnj.

As a Premier 1K member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United and MileagePlus.

Regards,
(name redacted)
MileagePlus® Service Center
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Tried writing to 1kvoice, and got this response:

Dear Mr. tarheelnj:

I apologize, at this time we haven't been advised of any changes with the Marriott status match program. I'm sorry to disappoint you, Mr. tarheelnj.

As a Premier 1K member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United and MileagePlus.

Regards,
(name redacted)
MileagePlus® Service Center
A little unnessary. Why would they know? People seem to forget that the 2018-2019 RewardsPlus contract between Marriott and UA was confirmed to be renewed in what, January/Feburary of this year?

And you expect them to have run all the way up the food chain, renegotiated a contract, figured out the dollar amounts, and run all the way back down the food chain in...less than a week? This isn't a bay area startup.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta Gold, United MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I just cant see them giving suite upgrades for a freebie status.
It happens overseas. I've enjoyed Marriott Gold as a UA Million Miler. Twice in Asia I've been upgraded from a standard room to a pool villa at Marriott properties.
nsx1164 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by r_pad
It happens overseas. I've enjoyed Marriott Gold as a UA Million Miler. Twice in Asia I've been upgraded from a standard room to a pool villa at Marriott properties.
I was referring to the confirmable suite upgrades that are much more useful. I have had a few 1 night suite upgrades with Marriott but never when I would really want them.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:44 pm

I think there is a bit of overstatement at how beneficial UA Silver is to a MR Plat. UA isn't giving away the house with UA Silver.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
From my perspective, the RewardsPlus program did exactly what it was supposed to in that I directed a decent amount of hotel stays towards Marriott that would've gone to Hilton. If the breakfast/lounge access go away, then I'll just go back to Hilton (for better or worse).
I feel the same. Marriott got more of my business with RewardsPlus, and I lost gold status at Hilton. If I become a New Marriott Gold next year, it will just mean that I go for the property with the best price, location, etc. - not loyalty based on perks.

I am afraid, however, that Marriott will follow the airlines in downgrading loyalty. UA Premier Executives got "down graded" in the merger with Continental - despite the complaints and moans. Why would Marriott not follow the lead, and (in their eyes) refine and limit the really valuable perks to those who pay a lot for them?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
I think there is a bit of overstatement at how beneficial UA Silver is to a MR Plat. UA isn't giving away the house with UA Silver.
The vast majority of routes have E+ (both aisle and window) available at the 24-hour check-in window. That's dozens or hundreds of dollars in savings per flight. E+, unlike CPUs, is a tangible benefit that can be used 90%+ of the time by silvers.

The old Marriott gold included free breakfast, which is a tangible and for-certain benefit with significant value, as much as $15-$20 per person per night, in addition to late checkout. But the new downgraded Marriott gold has nothing except some bonus points and "subject to availability" late checkout and "enhanced" rooms (no suites). There's little-to-no guaranteed (or close-to-guaranteed) tangible value in that. That's fundamentally unfair for UA, because E+ for silvers is close-to-guaranteed.

So UA needs to either devalue the comped silvers just like how Marriott is devaluing the comped golds, or UA needs to pull out of the program and save more E+ seats for its own members.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I was referring to the confirmable suite upgrades that are much more useful. I have had a few 1 night suite upgrades with Marriott but never when I would really want them.
SNA’s are earned after meeting the qualifying thresholds e.g. 5 SNA’s after 50 nights in the new program. So even if UA elites were comped Platinum then they would not get the SNA’s.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
And how beneficial is the old Marriott Gold? Lounge access and breakfast only apply to full service hotels. If you spend most nights in Residence Inn/Fairfield Inn/SpringHill Suites, breakfast is free for everyone and there are no lounges.
nsx1164 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by sincx
The vast majority of routes have E+ (both aisle and window) available at the 24-hour check-in window. That's dozens or hundreds of dollars in savings per flight. E+, unlike CPUs, is a tangible benefit that can be used 90%+ of the time by silvers.
I think this is a bit of an overstatement. I'd say more like 3-4 aisle/window E+ seats at exactly T-24. And if you're a silver, are you checking in exactly at T-24 just for this benefit, probably not.

Also, wouldn't one logically think someone staying 75 nights in a hotel to reach Marriott Plat travels a bit? So chances are they already have status somewhere with one of the airlines...

I think you overstate the benefits of UA silver.
jsloan and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I think this is a bit of an overstatement. I'd say more like 3-4 aisle/window E+ seats at exactly T-24. And if you're a silver, are you checking in exactly at T-24 just for this benefit, probably not.

Also, wouldn't one logically think someone staying 75 nights in a hotel to reach Marriott Plat travels a bit? So chances are they already have status somewhere with one of the airlines...

I think you overstate the benefits of UA silver.
E+ is a tangible, widely available benefit to silvers. There is no commensurate tangible, widely available benefits available to the new Marriott golds.

UA Silver isn't too much compared to other UA tiers, sure, but compared to "almost nothing" for golds in Marriott's new program, it's a lot. This makes the as-is continuation of the UA-Marriott program unfair for United elites, because UA elites will still have to share E+ space with Marriott elites, but UA elites will no longer be eligible for Marriott lounge access/breakfast/guaranteed late checkout.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Awful lot of complaining around here about the relative benefits of free Marriott status.

Anyone who really wants Marriott Plat can continue to achieve it through stays
milypan and laxmillenial like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Awful lot of complaining around here about the relative benefits of free Marriott status.

Anyone who really wants Marriott Plat can continue to achieve it through stays

Totally agree with you Kacee. It is a gift received as a bonus for United loyalty.

Also while we can argue the relative merits of each program, United is only looking at what they are "giving away" to Marriott members vs. what business they gain in return. Whether MP members are getting a "fair" return in the deal is nowhere in United's calculus, imho.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Also while we can argue the relative merits of each program, United is only looking at what they are "giving away" to Marriott members vs. what business they gain in return. Whether MP members are getting a "fair" return in the deal is nowhere in United's calculus, imho.
Correct. It is no different than Hertz giving Five Star and President's Circle status to United Premier members. Is it fair to loyal Hertz customers when I show up and select the car they wanted? Probably not. But, Hertz got a rental that they wouldn't otherwise have gotten, which is all they care about.

"Loyalty program" is an almost Orwellian turn of phrase. MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards are both marketing programs. Their goal, in both cases, is to gain additional business -- preferably highly-profitable business. It has nothing to do with loyalty and everything to do with selling more seats / hotel rooms.

PS: To everyone who's upset about Suite Night Awards: (a) it doesn't look likely that you'll be able to get them without earning 50 status nights, and (b) they don't really look all that useful. They "may" clear starting 5 days in advance. They seem a lot like RPUs without the possibility of clearing into R inventory.
narvik, bluedemon211 and tomwhom like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.