Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of 3 March 2019, UA elites are being matched to the new Marriott Bonvoy Gold level including those UA elites who had gone Marriott Plat status during the Marriott / Starwood merger process. Marriott Bonvoy Gold does not include lounge access and late checkout is 2 PM

Archive Thread RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

************************************* Information below applied to the previous arrangement with Marriott and parts are out of date ***********************************
FAQs: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...s.html?lang=en

Q: If I registered and was granted complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus and have re–qualified for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following year, will I need to also re–register my request for complimentary Gold Elite status for the following year?

A: No. Members who have already registered for and received complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus in a calendar year and who qualify for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following calendar year will have their previous registration with RewardsPlus automatically renewed and will receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status for the following calendar year.

-------------------------------

For the United elites who are new to Marriott Rewards, here are the benefits you receive as Gold. Please familiarize yourself with what you are and are not entitled to as a Marriott Gold.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/gold.mi

Also, please be nice to the Marriott 'newbies' who come to this forum to figure out what UA Silver gets (or doesn't get) them.

And here is a thread with some details for the newly-minted UA Silvers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...riences-q.html

RewardsPlus combines the best of MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards

United MileagePlus® and Marriott Rewards® are excited to announce that the exclusive travel benefits of our RewardsPlus program will continue into 2016. Once registered for RewardsPlus, MileagePlus members with Premier® Gold status or higher are eligible for Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, and all of the benefits that come with it. This year’s status offerings will be effective through January 2017.

Go places you’ve dreamed of in 2016 and elevate your experience everywhere.

• MileagePlus Premiers who are already registered: If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016, we’ll automatically renew your benefits in Marriott Rewards for another year, until January 2017
• If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016 and have not yet registered, sign-up now. Registration is easy and complimentary, and you’ll enjoy a year of great benefits with an upgrade to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status
• Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members who are already registered: If you qualify for Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards for 2016, more good news – we’ll automatically renew your benefits in MileagePlus for another year, until January 2017
• All members of both programs: You’ll continue to enjoy a 20% discount every time you convert Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles as well as 10% more miles when you redeem points for RewardsPlus travel packages

Continue to take your benefits above and beyond.

For United MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher, Marriott Rewards will offer Gold Elite status, which includes:

• Lounge access and complimentary continental breakfast at participating JW Marriott®, Renaissance Hotels®, Marriott® Hotels and Autograph Collection® Hotels (Resorts are excluded)
• Room upgrades, based on availability and limited to Member’s personal guest room
• Complimentary in-room enhanced Internet access at more than 3,800 hotels globally
• 25% point bonus on all Marriott stays
• Priority late check-out, based on availability
• Gold Elite customized offers and awards
• One-to-one transfer of MileagePlus miles into Marriott Rewards points, a benefit United’s Premier Silver members will also receive

For Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members, United MileagePlus will offer Premier Silver status, which includes:

• Complimentary access to Economy Plus® at check-in for you and a companion (when available)
• Complimentary Premier Upgrade confirmation as early as day of departure
• Premier Access® priority airport services, including check-in, baggage handling, security screening (where available) and boarding
• One complimentary checked bag, standard size
• 7 award miles for every dollar you spend on United flights*

Elevate your travel experience with another year of RewardsPlus. For more information about RewardsPlus and to learn how to register, visit united.com/rewardsplus or mrrewardsplus.com.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/loyalty-program/pages/elevate-your-experience-with-united-mileageplus-and-marriott-rewards.aspx

While not publicly stated, in 2017, Marriott Platinum Premiers were matched as United Premier Gold (Marriott Platinum Elites are matched as Premier Silver)
and United Global Services members were matched as Marriott Platinum Elites (appears this was for 2017 only and will not be offered in 2018)
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:11 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I’ve been loyal to Marriott and IHG in that order. Getting a Hilton Diamond or the equivalent Hyatt wouldn’t alter my behavior. I’m driven by convenience and habit, in that order. I’m the same way on flight selection, it’s about schedule and cost.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
try matching again. Should be Gold. Strange if you are currently UA Gold to see it go to Silver
I got the Mariott Gold status (thanks to UA Gold) in December 2018.
March 1st I got downgraded to Mariott Silver (even though still UA Gold).
I called them and they said that they don't know and I should try matching again, which I did 4 days ago.
Question: Do you have to match every year over and over again?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
Done with Marriott

Without the lounge access I am finished with Marriott. I had been focused on them for the last couple of years and already have GOLD for life with Marriott, but now there is no benefit for me to prefer Marriott. Now focused on Hilton, have their Aspire card which provides Diamond level and all the benefits. I did enjoy Marriott, but they have nothing to offer me now.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jimaras08
No, I got to UA Gold in October 2017, did the comped status to Marriott then and never had to do anything again.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jimaras08
I got the Mariott Gold status (thanks to UA Gold) in December 2018.
March 1st I got downgraded to Mariott Silver (even though still UA Gold).
I called them and they said that they don't know and I should try matching again, which I did 4 days ago.
It has been hit or miss on that for the life of the program. Initially, UA/Marriott seemed to want folks to annually do the matching but in recent years it has seemed that was unneeded. But every year there have been reports of folks being dropped and needing to re-match, So, the best answer is probably not but sometimes yes.

Realize the Marriott program has been in flux for a year and a half with a "few" IT issues, so the past couple of years really is probably a poor predictor of the future.
jimaras08 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Here to report the day before the downgrade I got the usual letter from the resort welcoming me as a Platinum.
I wrote back and milked it a bit, asking for an ocean view and a large tub, also mentioned it’s my birthday ; )
The Sheraton Soma Bay Resort welcomed me as a Plat at check in.
Writing this now from my top floor corner Exec Suite with jacuzzi tub and 3 balconies : )

Leaving Marriott with a bang.
And letting my Hyatt status drop off to nothing this year as well.
I’m freeeee!
StuckinITH and bigwings8 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
IMO Marriott is saturated (way way way too much) with too many high "elites". They have not figured out a good way to differentiate Platinum, Titanium, and Ambassador statuses. Hyatt has this figured out and is not saturated with Globalist status. I suspect the saturation is leading them not to offer United GS any additional benefits in the partnership.
Hyatt is "not saturated" because they have a much smaller hotel portfolio. Globalist is a 60-night requirement; it's not that much more exclusive than Marriott Platinum, really. If you see more "elites" with Marriott, it's likely because people who travel outside of the major cities are much more likely to have a nearby Marriott than a nearby Hyatt, and that's without even comparing room rates.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
Woke up this morning to find out I have been downgraded to Gold. Guess we got an extra month
Wish I could see the glass half full, but was and angry to see my status updated to Gold when I returned home from my last trip (ironically a Marriott property). This will hit hard soon when we stay at the St. Regis properties in Italy this summer.

I still have mixed feeling about moving upcoming stays to Hyatt which also does not provide a free breakfast until 55 nights, though I have plenty of lounge certs. But I feel that if enough of us penalize Marriott the decrease in business by former elites will not go unnoticed and may cause a change in behavior.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Wish I could see the glass half full, but was and angry to see my status updated to Gold when I returned home from my last trip (ironically a Marriott property). This will hit hard soon when we stay at the St. Regis properties in Italy this summer.

I still have mixed feeling about moving upcoming stays to Hyatt which also does not provide a free breakfast until 55 nights, though I have plenty of lounge certs. But I feel that if enough of us penalize Marriott the decrease in business by former elites will not go unnoticed and may cause a change in behavior.
just curious, were you expecting to keep platinum through RewardsPlus and this is a surprise that you are now gold?

Get the credit card and 35 nights and be platinum again which is easier than Hyatt 55 nights with credit card.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If Marriott Plat status (or the previous iteration of Gold) was comp'd via RewardsPlus, you didn't earn any status on the hotel side.

If lounge access and other perks are important, it's only fair to play by the rules and stay the prerequisite nights. There are other programs with different structures which may be more suitable for some.
myperks and naumank like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 9, 2019 at 6:45 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo

If you have stayed the minimum of 50 nights (or 35 with a credit card), you would have Platinum status already. If you only stay at Marriott occasionally, you really shouldn’t have the Platinum status. If you could have it, then why does Marriott not give Platinum status to anyone who wants it? (I have made this point before.) I really don’t believe that travellers who occasionally stay at Marriott (who happen to have UA Gold+) will have enough clout to “punish” Marriott by moving their occasional stays to a different hotel.
Plane-is-home likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by naumank

If you have stayed the minimum of 50 nights (or 35 with a credit card), you would have Platinum status already. If you only stay at Marriott occasionally, you really shouldn’t have the Platinum status. If you could have it, then why does Marriott not give Platinum status to anyone who wants it? (I have made this point before.) I really don’t believe that travellers who occasionally stay at Marriott (who happen to have UA Gold+) will have enough clout to “punish” Marriott by moving their occasional stays to a different hotel.
Well if you are right, people like me who travel and want somewhere to sit and work quietly and not in their room will abandon hotels for the new shared economy, i.e. VRBO and Airbnb. Hotels will get their wish with less of the occasional guests.

As you say, I am sure the hotels such as Marriott will not notice any drop in business. Their corporate clients will keep them afloat - oh hang on margins get squeezed for the hotels which will be even tighter as they need more corporates staying to fill the rooms.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Well if you are right, people like me who travel and want somewhere to sit and work quietly and not in their room will abandon hotels for the new shared economy, i.e. VRBO and Airbnb. Hotels will get their wish with less of the occasional guests.

As you say, I am sure the hotels such as Marriott will not notice any drop in business. Their corporate clients will keep them afloat - oh hang on margins get squeezed for the hotels which will be even tighter as they need more corporates staying to fill the rooms.
and there are people who travel and want somewhere to sit and work quietly and not in their room will actually pay for it because it’s a loyalty program, not a free for all. It’s like the Marriott folks saying who won’t fly United because no more silver for platinum members so they are going to fly ultra low cost air to get back at United
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by myperks

and there are people who travel and want somewhere to sit and work quietly and not in their room will actually pay for it...
I am sure you are right. 😛💰💰
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Oh well

GS here.

I only have 70 more nights to go to lifetime Plat with Marriott. Which I should achieve end of next year.
Already have the 10 years as a plat.

I usually put short stays (1day) with Hilton to maintain my diamond status. So about 30 stays / 40 nights a year with them. Still got like 280 nights to get to lifetime diamond.

Being a plat did have me moving some longer stays or by convenience to Marriott. With move to gold I’ll just take major city stays to Hilton and the places I go and stay in a courtyard anyway (with essentially no benefits for gold or plat) I’ll leave and grind my way through to lifetime plat. Maybe it will take 6 extra months but I will get there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.