Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of 3 March 2019, UA elites are being matched to the new Marriott Bonvoy Gold level including those UA elites who had gone Marriott Plat status during the Marriott / Starwood merger process. Marriott Bonvoy Gold does not include lounge access and late checkout is 2 PM

Archive Thread RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

************************************* Information below applied to the previous arrangement with Marriott and parts are out of date ***********************************
FAQs: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...s.html?lang=en

Q: If I registered and was granted complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus and have re–qualified for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following year, will I need to also re–register my request for complimentary Gold Elite status for the following year?

A: No. Members who have already registered for and received complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus in a calendar year and who qualify for MileagePlus Premier Gold® status or higher for the following calendar year will have their previous registration with RewardsPlus automatically renewed and will receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status for the following calendar year.

-------------------------------

For the United elites who are new to Marriott Rewards, here are the benefits you receive as Gold. Please familiarize yourself with what you are and are not entitled to as a Marriott Gold.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/gold.mi

Also, please be nice to the Marriott 'newbies' who come to this forum to figure out what UA Silver gets (or doesn't get) them.

And here is a thread with some details for the newly-minted UA Silvers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...riences-q.html

RewardsPlus combines the best of MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards

United MileagePlus® and Marriott Rewards® are excited to announce that the exclusive travel benefits of our RewardsPlus program will continue into 2016. Once registered for RewardsPlus, MileagePlus members with Premier® Gold status or higher are eligible for Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, and all of the benefits that come with it. This year’s status offerings will be effective through January 2017.

Go places you’ve dreamed of in 2016 and elevate your experience everywhere.

• MileagePlus Premiers who are already registered: If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016, we’ll automatically renew your benefits in Marriott Rewards for another year, until January 2017
• If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016 and have not yet registered, sign-up now. Registration is easy and complimentary, and you’ll enjoy a year of great benefits with an upgrade to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status
• Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members who are already registered: If you qualify for Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards for 2016, more good news – we’ll automatically renew your benefits in MileagePlus for another year, until January 2017
• All members of both programs: You’ll continue to enjoy a 20% discount every time you convert Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles as well as 10% more miles when you redeem points for RewardsPlus travel packages

Continue to take your benefits above and beyond.

For United MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher, Marriott Rewards will offer Gold Elite status, which includes:

• Lounge access and complimentary continental breakfast at participating JW Marriott®, Renaissance Hotels®, Marriott® Hotels and Autograph Collection® Hotels (Resorts are excluded)
• Room upgrades, based on availability and limited to Member’s personal guest room
• Complimentary in-room enhanced Internet access at more than 3,800 hotels globally
• 25% point bonus on all Marriott stays
• Priority late check-out, based on availability
• Gold Elite customized offers and awards
• One-to-one transfer of MileagePlus miles into Marriott Rewards points, a benefit United’s Premier Silver members will also receive

For Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members, United MileagePlus will offer Premier Silver status, which includes:

• Complimentary access to Economy Plus® at check-in for you and a companion (when available)
• Complimentary Premier Upgrade confirmation as early as day of departure
• Premier Access® priority airport services, including check-in, baggage handling, security screening (where available) and boarding
• One complimentary checked bag, standard size
• 7 award miles for every dollar you spend on United flights*

Elevate your travel experience with another year of RewardsPlus. For more information about RewardsPlus and to learn how to register, visit united.com/rewardsplus or mrrewardsplus.com.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/loyalty-program/pages/elevate-your-experience-with-united-mileageplus-and-marriott-rewards.aspx

While not publicly stated, in 2017, Marriott Platinum Premiers were matched as United Premier Gold (Marriott Platinum Elites are matched as Premier Silver)
and United Global Services members were matched as Marriott Platinum Elites (appears this was for 2017 only and will not be offered in 2018)
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by greg99
....I'm also sure that the positive impact of the partnership for them will decline, ...
There have been mixed reports on the success of the partnership. Many long-time high stay Marriott elites have been quite unhappy due to the crowding in Marriott lounges with UA faux-elites and (with the botched merger helping) there have been reports a very significant number of the long-time elites leaving Marriott.

So Marriott may be thinking it is better to lose a few occasional stay UA elites and work on retaining their Marriott high stay elites.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Good point ... anyone asked Marriott?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There have been mixed reports on the success of the partnership. Many long-time high stay Marriott elites have been quite unhappy due to the crowding in Marriott lounges with UA faux-elites and (with the botched merger helping) there have been reports a very significant number of the long-time elites leaving Marriott.

So Marriott may be thinking it is better to lose a few occasional stay UA elites and work on retaining their Marriott high stay elites.
Totally agree. I am sure Marriott must have done their analysis through number crunching. Many of those folks who got matched Platinum status are no different from those occasional travelers. For example, someone mentioned 11 nights / 4 stays - you barely make Silver status. The rate of conversion into loyal Marriott customers (I.e. staying for 50 nights or more, or 35 nights by getting a Marriott branded credit card) must be very very low.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Well, I just checked in yesterday and found myself at Gold and no room upgrade. Boo. :-(

So I called and immediately registered for Plat Elite status challenge. I will easily have 16 nights over next 45 days (90 for the challenge) and should hit 50 by summer. So for me at least, this actually increases the number of stays at Marriotts. I do really like the room upgrades!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by naumank
The rate of conversion into loyal Marriott customers (I.e. staying for 50 nights or more, or 35 nights by getting a Marriott branded credit card) must be very very low.
I don't know how high or low the rate is, but these "taste of status" type challenges lose their effectiveness over time. If you make the matched status more or less permanent, there's little incentive for the matched elite to meet the stay or spend thresholds that are normally required to maintain status. So to the extent this program succeeded in "converting" UA Premiers to committed Marriott elites, that has probably already largely occurred. (Adding that this is my story . . . after being fired by Hyatt, I changed from an occasional Marriott customer to a 79 night Platinum Premier last year.)
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by naumank

Totally agree. I am sure Marriott must have done their analysis through number crunching. Many of those folks who got matched Platinum status are no different from those occasional travelers. For example, someone mentioned 11 nights / 4 stays - you barely make Silver status. The rate of conversion into loyal Marriott customers (I.e. staying for 50 nights or more, or 35 nights by getting a Marriott branded credit card) must be very very low.
Splitting hairs here, but this point it seems like an excessively generous (to Marriott) interpretation. They may in fact be making a good business decision by letting RewardsPlus slip to a devalued Gold tier, but given their track record of effectively managing the loyalty program for the past two years, I can't believe they did any thorough number crunch on this.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't know how high or low the rate is, but these "taste of status" type challenges lose their effectiveness over time. If you make the matched status more or less permanent, there's little incentive for the matched elite to meet the stay or spend thresholds that are normally required to maintain status. So to the extent this program succeeded in "converting" UA Premiers to committed Marriott elites, that has probably already largely occurred. (Adding that this is my story . . . after being fired by Hyatt, I changed from an occasional Marriott customer to a 79 night Platinum Premier last year.)
After five years, the comp'ed status hasn't converted me. I might stay at a Marriot once a year. I prefer Hilton and Accor properties.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Wow, I got matched from UA MP Gold to Marriott Gold and now it says that I am Marriott Silver. What is going on? Is this a mistake?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jimaras08
Wow, I got matched from UA MP Gold to Marriott Gold and now it says that I am Marriott Silver. What is going on? Is this a mistake?
try matching again. Should be Gold. Strange if you are currently UA Gold to see it go to Silver
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: United Global Services
Marriott Demotion

Has anyone with GS just get demoted from Platinum to Gold for Marriott?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by roseallday
Yes, yesterday
​​​​​​
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by roseallday
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...3mar19-83.html
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
try matching again. Should be Gold. Strange if you are currently UA Gold to see it go to Silver
Thanks! It says, "Congratulations. You're eligible to receive complimentary Marriott BonvoyTM Gold Elite status."

Let's see ...
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by myperks

35 nights with credit card 15 nights or platinum challenge 16 nights in 90 days.
If I complete platinum challenge in June, is my platinum status valid until Feb. 2020 or 2021?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
So...time to switch to Hilton? Get status there either with amex platinum (earn hilton gold) or via amex aspire card (earn hilton diamond)?

Gold at marriott seems to be quite lackluster. If hilton and marriott hotels are of similar quality and price, then the free breakfast and room upgrades at hilton seem to beat those at marriott. But perhaps marriott has better hotel availability (i.e. more hotels since it's now marriott + spg).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.