Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of 3 March 2019, UA elites are being matched to the new Marriott Bonvoy Gold level including those UA elites who had gone Marriott Plat status during the Marriott / Starwood merger process. Marriott Bonvoy Gold does not include lounge access and late checkout is 2 PM

Archive Thread RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

************************************* Information below applied to the previous arrangement with Marriott and parts are out of date ***********************************
FAQs: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...s.html?lang=en

Q: If I registered and was granted complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus and have requalified for MileagePlus Premier Gold status or higher for the following year, will I need to also reregister my request for complimentary Gold Elite status for the following year?

A: No. Members who have already registered for and received complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus in a calendar year and who qualify for MileagePlus Premier Gold status or higher for the following calendar year will have their previous registration with RewardsPlus automatically renewed and will receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status for the following calendar year.

-------------------------------

For the United elites who are new to Marriott Rewards, here are the benefits you receive as Gold. Please familiarize yourself with what you are and are not entitled to as a Marriott Gold.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/gold.mi

Also, please be nice to the Marriott 'newbies' who come to this forum to figure out what UA Silver gets (or doesn't get) them.

And here is a thread with some details for the newly-minted UA Silvers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...riences-q.html

RewardsPlus combines the best of MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards

United MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards are excited to announce that the exclusive travel benefits of our RewardsPlus program will continue into 2016. Once registered for RewardsPlus, MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher are eligible for Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, and all of the benefits that come with it. This years status offerings will be effective through January 2017.

Go places youve dreamed of in 2016 and elevate your experience everywhere.

MileagePlus Premiers who are already registered: If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016, well automatically renew your benefits in Marriott Rewards for another year, until January 2017
If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016 and have not yet registered, sign-up now. Registration is easy and complimentary, and youll enjoy a year of great benefits with an upgrade to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status
Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members who are already registered: If you qualify for Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards for 2016, more good news well automatically renew your benefits in MileagePlus for another year, until January 2017
All members of both programs: Youll continue to enjoy a 20% discount every time you convert Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles as well as 10% more miles when you redeem points for RewardsPlus travel packages

Continue to take your benefits above and beyond.

For United MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher, Marriott Rewards will offer Gold Elite status, which includes:

Lounge access and complimentary continental breakfast at participating JW Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott Hotels and Autograph Collection Hotels (Resorts are excluded)
Room upgrades, based on availability and limited to Members personal guest room
Complimentary in-room enhanced Internet access at more than 3,800 hotels globally
25% point bonus on all Marriott stays
Priority late check-out, based on availability
Gold Elite customized offers and awards
One-to-one transfer of MileagePlus miles into Marriott Rewards points, a benefit Uniteds Premier Silver members will also receive

For Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members, United MileagePlus will offer Premier Silver status, which includes:

Complimentary access to Economy Plus at check-in for you and a companion (when available)
Complimentary Premier Upgrade confirmation as early as day of departure
Premier Access priority airport services, including check-in, baggage handling, security screening (where available) and boarding
One complimentary checked bag, standard size
7 award miles for every dollar you spend on United flights*

Elevate your travel experience with another year of RewardsPlus. For more information about RewardsPlus and to learn how to register, visit united.com/rewardsplus or mrrewardsplus.com.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/loyalty-program/pages/elevate-your-experience-with-united-mileageplus-and-marriott-rewards.aspx

While not publicly stated, in 2017, Marriott Platinum Premiers were matched as United Premier Gold (Marriott Platinum Elites are matched as Premier Silver)
and United Global Services members were matched as Marriott Platinum Elites (appears this was for 2017 only and will not be offered in 2018)
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you mean the possibility of a free upgrade on property at check-in -- it's roughly equivalent to UA telling Marriott Platinum members that they are eligible for upgrades as UA Silver. That is to say, it's technically possible, but don't hold your breath.
As a matched Gold, I get fantastic suite upgrades if and only if my stay is going to be for eight hours or less
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Could there also be a recalibration of United elite tiers matching into different levels of the new Marriott tiers? I'd vote for GS & 1K in a Platinum (plus?) tier.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
Could there also be a recalibration of United elite tiers matching into different levels of the new Marriott tiers? I'd vote for GS & 1K in a Platinum (plus?) tier.
This occurred to me as well, and I'd be in support of it. Maybe they could include UA Platinum, as I don't think there are very many of them, and it would match the Hertz agreement.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
The two biggest benefits (for me) to the current Gold program are the Lounge/Breakfast and the enhanced WiFi. Looks like the enhanced WiFi will go with the new Gold and up. The Lounge access is another matter as has been stated several times by others. Hope UA Gold+ members do continue to map to the new Platinum.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Travel blog One Mile At A Time has officially confirmed that, after the August transition, United MileagePlus Gold and above members will be given Gold Elite status in the new program, not Platinum Eite.

See article here:

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....yalty-program/

Instead Marriott Platinum status will have the same night requirements that Gold status currently has, though United elite members wont be comped that.

Last edited by blahmeh14; Apr 18, 2018 at 4:03 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
Travel blog One Mile At A Time has officially confirmed that, after the August transition, United MileagePlus Gold and above members will be given Gold Elite status in the new program, not Platinum Eite.
A blog saying so doesnt make it true.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
A blog saying so doesnt make it true.
I have to imagine that they did some fact checking since the statement they made in that article was unambiguous:

Instead Marriott Platinum status will have the same night requirements that Gold status currently has, though United elite members wont be comped that.

I think they were also one of the few blogs that got the information about the new program ahead of time before the embargo was lifted.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:55 pm

This is a reciprocal agreement where Marriott Plat elites get UA silver and UA Gold+ get Marriott Gold. The primary upshot is that UA elites get Lounge/Breakfast and Marriott elites get E+ seating and a free checked bag. Both elites also get (very rare) upgrade opportunities for either J seats or suites.

This agreement was negotiated based on the effective value of the two elite programs and estimates of the number of members from each side who would benefit. Reciprocal benefits dilute their own loyalty program for their own members, so these benefits would not be given lightly. Perhaps some cash also changes hands depending on the number of members or expected value of the benefits.

If Marriott is removing a primary reciprocal benefit for UA elites (lounge/breakfast), why would UA continue this relationship? I see several possibilities:
- The reciprocal relationship ends
- Reciprocal benefits are in parity with the old agreement
- United downgrades Marriott elites by removing E+ seating and free checked bag, effectively creating a "Bronze" tier.
- Marriott pays some cash to UA to subsidize the new inbalance in reciprocal benefits.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by east_west
This is a reciprocal agreement where Marriott Plat elites get UA silver and UA Gold+ get Marriott Gold. The primary upshot is that UA elites get Lounge/Breakfast and Marriott elites get E+ seating and a free checked bag. Both elites also get (very rare) upgrade opportunities for either J seats or suites.

This agreement was negotiated based on the effective value of the two elite programs and estimates of the number of members from each side who would benefit. Reciprocal benefits dilute their own loyalty program for their own members, so these benefits would not be given lightly. Perhaps some cash also changes hands depending on the number of members or expected value of the benefits.

If Marriott is removing a primary reciprocal benefit for UA elites (lounge/breakfast), why would UA continue this relationship? I see several possibilities:
- The reciprocal relationship ends
- Reciprocal benefits are in parity with the old agreement
- United downgrades Marriott elites by removing E+ seating and free checked bag, effectively creating a "Bronze" tier.
- Marriott pays some cash to UA to subsidize the new inbalance in reciprocal benefits.
Would it possibly help if UA members complained about the lack of benefits for UA gold members compared to what Marriott people get?

I'm sure Marriott expressed intent to only match UA people to Gold in the future but I can't imagine it continuing with UA members getting basically nothing of value in the future.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Another option could be that going forward, UA Golds get matched to MR's new Gold level. And UA Plats and 1Ks get matched to MR's new Platinum level. Keep in mind that MR's current Gold members (who get hotel lounge access and room upgrades) get no type of status match at United as it is. @:-)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Agreed. They won't even give it to those who have the $450 a year annual fee credit card. Even those people have to spend at least 25K in order to get Platinum status
$75k.

Marriott Gold for UA Gold under the "old" Marriott structure was a sweet deal for UA elites, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:07 am

I agree completely.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:14 am

If there's no lounge access/free breakfast for UA elites, there should be no E+ access for Marriott elites.

E+ is crowded enough already, and with PE reducing the number of E+ seats, it's only going to get worse. Time for UA to pull out of this program.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
$75k.

Marriott Gold for UA Gold under the "old" Marriott structure was a sweet deal for UA elites, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
And some would say United Silver is a sweet deal for Marriott elites, particularly those who don't spend much time in the air to accumulate status. The value of E+/free baggage vs. breakfast/lounge depends a lot on travel patterns and needs. Marriott hotels and lounges in the US are generally pretty dumpy, so the benefit is also most useful for those traveling in Asia/Europe.

The point being, both United and Marriott agreed to this reciprocal benefit arrangement in 2013 and it has continued more or less intact since. One side can't just change it unilaterally by stripping out the most useful benefits without expecting some retaliatory benefit reductions. If both sides are truely happy with the status quo, then the benefits will remain at parity.

Raising the reciprocal requirement to UA Plat or 1K would also change the balance of this equation, because far fewer UA elites would benefit than by leaving it at Gold.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
UA Platinum and UA 1K should get Marriott Platinum Elite. In return, UA can offer Marriott Elites 50 RPUs ......"redeemable on select routes"....<cough>....<cough>
east_west likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.