Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of 3 March 2019, UA elites are being matched to the new Marriott Bonvoy Gold level including those UA elites who had gone Marriott Plat status during the Marriott / Starwood merger process. Marriott Bonvoy Gold does not include lounge access and late checkout is 2 PM

Archive Thread RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

************************************* Information below applied to the previous arrangement with Marriott and parts are out of date ***********************************
FAQs: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...s.html?lang=en

Q: If I registered and was granted complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus and have requalified for MileagePlus Premier Gold status or higher for the following year, will I need to also reregister my request for complimentary Gold Elite status for the following year?

A: No. Members who have already registered for and received complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus in a calendar year and who qualify for MileagePlus Premier Gold status or higher for the following calendar year will have their previous registration with RewardsPlus automatically renewed and will receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status for the following calendar year.

-------------------------------

For the United elites who are new to Marriott Rewards, here are the benefits you receive as Gold. Please familiarize yourself with what you are and are not entitled to as a Marriott Gold.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/gold.mi

Also, please be nice to the Marriott 'newbies' who come to this forum to figure out what UA Silver gets (or doesn't get) them.

And here is a thread with some details for the newly-minted UA Silvers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...riences-q.html

RewardsPlus combines the best of MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards

United MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards are excited to announce that the exclusive travel benefits of our RewardsPlus program will continue into 2016. Once registered for RewardsPlus, MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher are eligible for Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, and all of the benefits that come with it. This years status offerings will be effective through January 2017.

Go places youve dreamed of in 2016 and elevate your experience everywhere.

MileagePlus Premiers who are already registered: If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016, well automatically renew your benefits in Marriott Rewards for another year, until January 2017
If you qualify for Premier Gold status or higher for 2016 and have not yet registered, sign-up now. Registration is easy and complimentary, and youll enjoy a year of great benefits with an upgrade to Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status
Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members who are already registered: If you qualify for Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards for 2016, more good news well automatically renew your benefits in MileagePlus for another year, until January 2017
All members of both programs: Youll continue to enjoy a 20% discount every time you convert Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles as well as 10% more miles when you redeem points for RewardsPlus travel packages

Continue to take your benefits above and beyond.

For United MileagePlus members with Premier Gold status or higher, Marriott Rewards will offer Gold Elite status, which includes:

Lounge access and complimentary continental breakfast at participating JW Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott Hotels and Autograph Collection Hotels (Resorts are excluded)
Room upgrades, based on availability and limited to Members personal guest room
Complimentary in-room enhanced Internet access at more than 3,800 hotels globally
25% point bonus on all Marriott stays
Priority late check-out, based on availability
Gold Elite customized offers and awards
One-to-one transfer of MileagePlus miles into Marriott Rewards points, a benefit Uniteds Premier Silver members will also receive

For Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members, United MileagePlus will offer Premier Silver status, which includes:

Complimentary access to Economy Plus at check-in for you and a companion (when available)
Complimentary Premier Upgrade confirmation as early as day of departure
Premier Access priority airport services, including check-in, baggage handling, security screening (where available) and boarding
One complimentary checked bag, standard size
7 award miles for every dollar you spend on United flights*

Elevate your travel experience with another year of RewardsPlus. For more information about RewardsPlus and to learn how to register, visit united.com/rewardsplus or mrrewardsplus.com.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/loyalty-program/pages/elevate-your-experience-with-united-mileageplus-and-marriott-rewards.aspx

While not publicly stated, in 2017, Marriott Platinum Premiers were matched as United Premier Gold (Marriott Platinum Elites are matched as Premier Silver)
and United Global Services members were matched as Marriott Platinum Elites (appears this was for 2017 only and will not be offered in 2018)
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}

Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I guess that devaluation continues for all programs including RewardPlus for MP elite members. There is no reason to stay at Marriott after Feb. 1, 2019. Lounge access has been the main reason for booking Marriott hotels. This is a sad news, indeed.
Kannai likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by tcp1
Being August now, has anyone seen this happen? My Marriott account is still showing Gold. Got my RewardsPlus renewal email in February as a 1K.
August 18 is listed as the official conversion date for Marriott so you should see the benefits from that date onwards.

Good to see they're doing the right thing and keeping us at Platinum till end of January as I have several stays booked at SPMarriott properties in the coming months. However, I'm bummed out about getting merely Gold in the new SPMarriott program as I really made use of the 4 PM and lounge/breakfast benefit at JW's & Marriotts. This makes it equally difficult for myself as an HHonours Gold (through 2020) since I'm more or less guaranteed Comp'd breakfast as a YourChoice reward (but don't have the guaranteed late check out). Pricing being equal and supposing I don't have a need for late checkout I'll probably opt for Hilton now to retain Gold status through 2021 (only need 20 nights @ Hilton to get the status supposing you are like me and ensure you never stay at the same Hilton twice ).

Safe Travels,

James
JMBResona likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Bye-bye!

Thanks for everything Marriott/SPG/Ritz!

FlyerTalker70 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by JMBResona
Thanks for everything Marriott/SPG/Ritz!

I'm in the exact same boat as you, unless I need that 2 PM late checkout I don't quite see the point in staying loyal to Marriott. I'll use up the Platinum benefits this year then go by whatever is the cheapest and includes breakfast!
JMBResona likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I'm in the exact same boat as you, unless I need that 2 PM late checkout I don't quite see the point in staying loyal to Marriott. I'll use up the Platinum benefits this year then go by whatever is the cheapest and includes breakfast!
Exactly! Although if I didn't have stays at the Hilton Odaiba/Conrad Tokyo coming up in early August, I would've liked to wait to do the status match until the program change occurred.

Who knows, if Hilton are matching current SPG Golds to Hilton Gold, maybe they would've matched me to Hilton Diamond after August 18 as a new-ly minted (devalued) Marriott Platinum! But alas...
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by JMBResona
Exactly! Although if I didn't have stays at the Hilton Odaiba/Conrad Tokyo coming up in early August, I would've liked to wait to do the status match until the program change occurred.

Who knows, if Hilton are matching current SPG Golds to Hilton Gold, maybe they would've matched me to Hilton Diamond after August 18 as a new-ly minted (devalued) Marriott Platinum! But alas...
I will say this about Hilton properties, their breakfast leaves much to be desired in comparison to Marriott breakfasts at the lounge/restaurant. So far I've stayed at several Hiltons & HGI's and found their continental breakfast to be around the same quality as a Best Western. I've stayed at several Marriotts & JW's as a Gold and found both the quantity and quality of items were far superior to the point where I left the Executive Lounge feeling satisfied. If ever I could hit Platinum without having to stay that often at a Marriott I would do it in a heartbeat!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I will say this about Hilton properties, their breakfast leaves much to be desired in comparison to Marriott breakfasts at the lounge/restaurant. So far I've stayed at several Hiltons & HGI's and found their continental breakfast to be around the same quality as a Best Western. I've stayed at several Marriotts & JW's as a Gold and found both the quantity and quality of items were far superior to the point where I left the Executive Lounge feeling satisfied. If ever I could hit Platinum without having to stay that often at a Marriott I would do it in a heartbeat!

Safe Travels,

James
it really does depend on the individual property. For example the Hilton London Bankside has a fantastic breakfast in the lounge, or you have the option of the even better offerings in the restaurant as a Hilton Gold/Diamond.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Good to see they're doing the right thing and keeping us at Platinum till end of January
Very interesting and completely unexpected. Will this count as a year of Platinum status toward Lifetime?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Very interesting and completely unexpected. Will this count as a year of Platinum status toward Lifetime?
Actually this was pretty much expected as Marriott didn't want to 'downgrade' those who had lounge access in 2018 and suddenly take those benefits away. Come 2019 though....

All indications point toward yes.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you're Gold now you have already qualified 1 year toward new Plat (50 night level), assuming, of course, that RewardsPlus matching counts at all.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
2PM is subject to availability just like Hilton.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Very disappointed to see the devaluation from old gold to new gold, especially losing the breakfast benefit.. that's gotten a lot of good use out of it. Now there's really nothing left driving me to Marriott over IHG/Hilton, same as many others. sad sad.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
With this change, Hilton Gold will be worth more than Marriott Gold, and once my UA matched status reverts in 2019, I foresee a move to the Hilton brands as my first choice for lodging.
east_west likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by transportprof
With this change, Hilton Gold will be worth more than Marriott Gold, and once my UA matched status reverts in 2019, I foresee a move to the Hilton brands as my first choice for lodging.
Yep. I already comped to HH Diamond and am fast tracking to keep it until March 2020. Thanks United for the RewardsPlus program, boo Marriott for tanking it.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by tomwhom
From Marriott Insiders announcement:

As a valued United MileagePlus Premier member who is currently receiving complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus, youll be elevated to Platinum Elite status in August 2018 through January 2019, as a result of Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) becoming one Loyalty Program.* Platinum Elite benefits will include lounge access (restrictions apply), 50% points bonus and more.

Starting in August 2018, RewardsPlus offers members the following benefits:

United MileagePlus members receive:
  • Complimentary Gold Elite status in Rewards and SPG (open to MileagePlus Premier Gold members and above, registration required***)
  • Conversion of MileagePlus award miles into points at a 1:1 ratio (open to Premier Silver members and above, registration not required)
  • 10% more MileagePlus miles when converting points into MileagePlus miles (open to all members, registration not required)
  • 10% more MileagePlus miles when redeeming points for RewardsPlus Travel Packages (open to all members, registration not required)

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...rogram-changes
Much of this Marriott Merger is above by head, but as far as I can tell, my United Gold, which got me old Marriott Gold, should get me new Marriott Platinum until Jan 2019? My updated Marriott app still says Gold status, however. Maybe it's too early and they're still mapping things over?

Anyone in my shoes still showing Gold, or anyone now showing the new Platinum?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.