Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Old Jul 15, 13, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Marriott Prem Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Pax levels at IAD have declined while those at DCA have increased. SFO, LAX and SEA have all been downgauged. Some IAH flights are now RJs. EZE is gone. HNL is a tourist route as is DUB. I doubt that MAN will last long (who goes there?). What are the upgauges on "several" routes you refer to?
United flew almost exactly the same number of pax through Dulles in 2012 as they did in 2010, about 9.5 mil or so. The number of flights affected by the merger have largely just amounted to shuffling around a few high-visibility flights. Most flights have remained the same.

SFO and LAX lost the x1 or x2 daily widebody flights, which, yes, is a bummer. EZE was dropped but a few other flights have been gained. I can't see how SEA has been downgauged since it never had widebody service and has always been served by a mix of 320s and 757s. IAH-IAD was served by mostly RJs before the merger, now served by mainline. A few Canadian cities are getting mainline service. But these are mostly changes around the edges.

Mainline ops have remained at about the same level at IAD since 2009 - same number of mainline flights as pmUA.

If you can draw from these statistics that ops are "a shadow of their former selves" you've got a special talent in hyperbole that I'd like to help you market.
Old Jul 15, 13, 11:30 pm

I think the IAD terminal is arguably the worst major hub operation amongst all of the legacy carriers. It's simply awful.
Old Jul 16, 13, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is plan to rebuild IAD mid-field terminal before it was built. It was meant to be a temporary facility until a permanent one can be built.
Old Jul 16, 13, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
IAD works for me. I'm used to it now and at least the "new" carpeting makes it a little better. You can't beat the midfield concourse when arriving into the USA if you are connecting--heck of a lot better than most UA hubs.

Would love a new terminal like B, of course, but also don't want to pay an extra $10 every time I fly through IAD...you get what you pay for.

Silver Line will be a nice addition...boy do I miss living in Washington.
Old Jul 16, 13, 4:43 am

Programs: UA 1k, UA MP
IAD

MWAA is busy with the new Silver line. 2018 is a reality as bids have now been awarded and the construction of Phase II will be far simpler than Phase I due to the need for elevated tracks and a tunnel under Tysons Corner.

IAD probably wont get a real makeover for 5-7 years but it will happen as DCA continues to decline. Maybe by then UA wont need 757's to fly you to Europe.
Old Jul 16, 13, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
IAD works for me. I'm used to it now and at least the "new" carpeting makes it a little better. You can't beat the midfield concourse when arriving into the USA if you are connecting--heck of a lot better than most UA hubs.

Would love a new terminal like B, of course, but also don't want to pay an extra $10 every time I fly through IAD...you get what you pay for.

Silver Line will be a nice addition...boy do I miss living in Washington.
I will actually say that I don't avoid connecting there. For whatever reason it feels like you've earned your flight after going through the hoops at Dulles. At some point you'll have to resort to some MacGyver like trick to get where you need to go, which is disturbingly satisfying.
Old Jul 16, 13, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by annezbillb View Post
MWAA is busy with the new Silver line. 2018 is a reality as bids have now been awarded and the construction of Phase II will be far simpler than Phase I due to the need for elevated tracks and a tunnel under Tysons Corner.
Has any project connected to the Metro ever been completed on time?
Old Jul 16, 13, 7:14 am

IAD probably wont get a real makeover for 5-7 years but it will happen as DCA continues to decline. Maybe by then UA wont need 757's to fly you to Europe.
FYI-DCA has continued to gain pax while they have declined at IAD.
Old Jul 16, 13, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by andrewwm View Post
United flew almost exactly the same number of pax through Dulles in 2012 as they did in 2010, about 9.5 mil or so. The number of flights affected by the merger have largely just amounted to shuffling around a few high-visibility flights. Most flights have remained the same.

SFO and LAX lost the x1 or x2 daily widebody flights, which, yes, is a bummer. EZE was dropped but a few other flights have been gained. I can't see how SEA has been downgauged since it never had widebody service and has always been served by a mix of 320s and 757s. IAH-IAD was served by mostly RJs before the merger, now served by mainline. A few Canadian cities are getting mainline service. But these are mostly changes around the edges.

Mainline ops have remained at about the same level at IAD since 2009 - same number of mainline flights as pmUA.

If you can draw from these statistics that ops are "a shadow of their former selves" you've got a special talent in hyperbole that I'd like to help you market.
As someone who lives in the area and uses IAD on a weekly basis, my actual experience and frustration with UA belies your statistics.
Old Jul 16, 13, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
What's the decline in DCA? It remains busy, with more destinations, and the new terminal is relatively nice.

Perhaps they'll move the 757s to DCA for flights to countries with preclearance, such as Ireland.
Old Jul 16, 13, 7:34 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I wonder if MWAA could raise the PFCs at both IAD and DCA to help fund projects including the new C/D concourse? I suppose US & DL et al would be upset that their pax at DCA would be effectively subsidizing a facility which primarily benefits UA.
Old Jul 16, 13, 7:39 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

We all can agree that UA has really shrunk considerably in the WAS market. Over at BWI, UA has axed many flights and shrunk capacity on many routes.

Through May 2013 for BWI, UA's total enplanement and deplanement has shrunk around or close to 10% and the trend is not even close to leveling out.

DCA's UA ops, OTOH, is probably holding steady. One of the perks of a slot controlled airport, airlines think twice, maybe thrice, before axing a route or reducing frequencies.

Originally Posted by exerda View Post
I wonder if MWAA could raise the PFCs at both IAD and DCA to help fund projects including the new C/D concourse? I suppose US & DL et al would be upset that their pax at DCA would be effectively subsidizing a facility which primarily benefits UA.
Didn't UA pax largely finance DL/US/AA's passengers with a spanking new A/B concourse?

It is time to turn the tables and have the other airlines return the favor.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 16, 13 at 8:20 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 16, 13, 8:44 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Marriott Prem Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
As someone who lives in the area and uses IAD on a weekly basis, my actual experience and frustration with UA belies your statistics.
United (mainline) in 2012 flew about the same number of pax through IAD as in 2010, had about the same gross tonnage of airplanes land at IAD (so no real shrinking of widebody->narrowbody), and had the same number of movements of mainline airplanes as pre-merger.

Unless MWAA is lying, it seems likely that what has happened is the couple of routes you are flying on have been changed but most other routes have not, and new routes have been started.

Hate to tell you, but changing a couple of routes from a hub happens all the time in the airline business.
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, DL, AA, SK, AC, NH, Starwood, Choice, Hilton
Bring back Terminal G!
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:19 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by andrewwm View Post
I can't see how SEA has been downgauged since it never had widebody service and has always been served by a mix of 320s and 757s.
IAD-SEA-IAD was served off and on by a 3-class 763, usually in the summertime. The IAD-SEA 763 was a late-afternoon departure, the return a morning flight. I recall it was UA917 FRA-IAD-SEA and UA916 SEA-IAD-FRA (with the IAD-FRA-IAD segments flown by a 777).

Search this Thread