Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates) at IAD / Dulles?

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates) at IAD / Dulles?

Old Jul 15, 13, 4:24 am
  #1  
Used to be 'IAD22066'
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: IAD
Programs: UA 1K AA
Posts: 279
Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates) at IAD / Dulles?

I was reading comments in another thread about how the United Club at IAD was getting to be a dump. I think the entire terminal is becoming one.

Is there any chance that United will be building new terminals at IAD that are as nice as Terminals A and B? I haven't seen any sign of it. If I couldn't stand MD-80s I'd be tempted to fly AA.

Aside from the fact that the train station is in a location that forces everyone to walk 50-100 yards to get from the train station to Terminal C, I don't see anything to suggest that C & D will ever get upgraded. There are some days (when I have time) that I hop off the train at Terminal A to get some food because that is sometimes a better option than the United Club (or maybe I just like Five Guys).
IADDCA is offline  
Old Jul 15, 13, 4:52 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Posts: 1,713
They "plan" to replace C/D in the same way that they "plan" to build Metro to IAD. I don't expect to live long enough to see either of these "plans" realized.
Garroakul and zeer0 like this.
EricH is offline  
Old Jul 15, 13, 5:49 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 53,482
Unless you've a late-stage terminal illness, you'll live to see the Metro reach IAD. Now, as to a replacement for the "temporary" midfield concourse...
exerda is offline  
Old Jul 15, 13, 6:23 am
  #4  
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,010
Originally Posted by IAD22066 View Post
I was reading comments in another thread about how the United Club at IAD was getting to be a dump. I think the entire terminal is becoming one.
Um, I'm pretty sure it already is a dump.
Ari is offline  
Old Jul 15, 13, 6:40 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,781
Pretty sure we will see the LGA CTB rebuilt (begins 2014 -- prework is almost done minus that parking garage construction) before IAD.
edcho is offline  
Old Jul 15, 13, 6:52 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 40,519
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Unless you've a late-stage terminal illness, you'll live to see the Metro reach IAD. Now, as to a replacement for the "temporary" midfield concourse...
Do you think Metro will be operational to IAD by 2018? I don't. Nor will there be a proper C/D concourse by then. UA considers its IAD customers as hostages with no other options, and the MWAA is too busy engaged in patronage games and expensive staff vacations to get it done.
halls120 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 13, 7:20 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 44,491
The good news is that the Aerotrain already stops at where the C terminal will be built by 2023. The bad news is that for the next 7-10 years, you can continue to schlep back to the C terminal from what IAD calls the C Aerotrain station.

As others note, there are no other options, so there's no urgency. If there were actually high speed rail to BWI and Amtrak/MARC actually stopped at the airport as opposed to a rail station called "BWI" there would be competition. But, the train doesn't, so BWI isn't and won't be serious competition.
Often1 is online now  
Old Jul 15, 13, 7:44 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 40,519
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The good news is that the Aerotrain already stops at where the C terminal will be built by 2023. The bad news is that for the next 7-10 years, you can continue to schlep back to the C terminal from what IAD calls the C Aerotrain station.
You're an optimist.
halls120 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 13, 8:01 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 5,778
The DC travel forum has a thread on the subject.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/washi...airport-2.html

Suffice to say, a new C/D terminal is a mere gleam in the eye. There's no funding for it right now, and just general concept plans, nothing specific.

There was an article in the Post yesterday (I think) about building a new road to Dulles to expand its cargo capacity, noting that business there (cargo + pax) has been flat or declining for the last 5 years. Given that, a new terminal isn't likely to seem urgent.
drewguy is offline  
Old Jul 15, 13, 8:12 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 40,519
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post

There was an article in the Post yesterday (I think) about building a new road to Dulles to expand its cargo capacity, noting that business there (cargo + pax) has been flat or declining for the last 5 years. Given that, a new terminal isn't likely to seem urgent.
That new road the state is pushing is already meeting stiff opposition in Prince William and Loudon counties.
halls120 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 13, 8:13 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,035
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
Do you think Metro will be operational to IAD by 2018? I don't. Nor will there be a proper C/D concourse by then. UA considers its IAD customers as hostages with no other options, and the MWAA is too busy engaged in patronage games and expensive staff vacations to get it done.
Last week the final contract was signed to build Metro to IAD with a completion date of July 31, 2018. Of course, that date could slip, but it's a relatively straightforward project. The existing Phase 1 project is on schedule and was far more complex.

As for C/D....it reminds me of the ol' song. In the year 2525, if man is still alive, if woman can survive, we may find a new C/D replacement. In all seriousness, the only thing that might spur UA to move forward on C/D replacement, is an eventual hub consolidation that shutters CLE and moves connecting traffic to IAD. But absent something major like that, I don't see UA being in any rush given IAD's dwindling traffic numbers.
ConnFlyer is offline  
Old Jul 15, 13, 8:24 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 3,992
I think it's more likely UA will de-hub IAD or at least seriously cut capacity over the next few years.
JetAway is offline  
Old Jul 15, 13, 8:29 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: many - mostly ZRH
Posts: 232
Originally Posted by IAD22066 View Post
... to get some food because that is sometimes a better option than the United Club (or maybe I just like Five Guys).
On a sidenote: EVERY food is better than the "food" in the UC. At least the view to the tarmac is quiet nice.
Frederik123 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 13, 8:37 am
  #14  
QBK
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: WAS
Programs: UA 1K + UC + 0.94MM, Marriott/Hiltongold, National EE
Posts: 1,294
I've accepted that C/D are hopeless. When I connect through IAD, I have two strategies:

(1) Book a 60-minute or less connection. If it goes well, I don't have to spend any time in C/D terminal. If IRROPS happen, I get rebooked with a 4-hour layover; GOTO (2) below.

(2) Book a 3+ hour connection. Get off the UA plane, go to Terminal B, enjoy the nice terminal and the foreign carrier widebodies, hang out in the LH lounge for a couple of hours. Then go back to C/D at T-40 minutes and get on my UA flight.

As a rule, it works pretty well. But being stuck in C/D for more than an hour is... suboptimal.
Antonio8069, zeer0 and dchambric like this.
QBK is online now  
Old Jul 15, 13, 8:50 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 53,482
Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
I think it's more likely UA will de-hub IAD or at least seriously cut capacity over the next few years.
Not to go off onto too much of a tangent, but I doubt that. With US exiting *A, IAD is UA's hub for the southeast--EWR and IAH are just too far out of the way to make them viable alternatives for connecting traffic. And there's too much business in the area who won't accept connecting to EWR on a puddle jumper beholden to WX irrops to go TATL. For that matter, the fact that they actually have room to grow at IAD whereas at EWR they don't (due to ATC) pretty much assures IAD of remaining a hub for the foreesable future.
exerda is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: