Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by skidooman
But since C/D is pretty crowded, I assume they won't be able to do this much.
C/D are fairly empty in the mornings and early afternoons at IAD. The megabank goes out at ~5-7pm, which is when the highest number of passengers are around.

Nothing like ORD or EWR which seem to be much more evenly spread throughout the day in terms of passengers lounging about.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
We all know that the go-to East hub is EWR. The problem is that it is EWR.
United's near-term business strategy involves routing as much connecting traffic over IAD as possible, leaving seats into and out of EWR primarily for O/D flyers that command higher fares and yields. Outside of a fairly small number of lucrative ex-EWR longhaul markets, United would rather IAD be your "go-to" hub.
am1108 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fezzington
C/D are fairly empty in the mornings and early afternoons at IAD. The megabank goes out at ~5-7pm, which is when the highest number of passengers are around.

Nothing like ORD or EWR which seem to be much more evenly spread throughout the day in terms of passengers lounging about.
IAD has four banks of flights, at least for departures.
8-9am
12-1pm
5-7pm
10-11pm

Outside of these times, C/D is pretty empty. The ORD flight that leaves at 10:30-11am is a good one due to the short lines at TSA and empty concourse. There's a DEN flight at 2:30pm which is similar.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by fezzington

I rarely fly to Europe, but good lord UA has a bunch of flights all leaving in that window (or an even shorter one), most on widebodies, and seemingly all from adjacent gates.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
United's near-term business strategy involves routing as much connecting traffic over IAD as possible, leaving seats into and out of EWR primarily for O/D flyers that command higher fares and yields. Outside of a fairly small number of lucrative ex-EWR longhaul markets, United would rather IAD be your "go-to" hub.
Why are IAD-Europe and IAD-Asia flights almost always more expensive than their Newark counterparts? Just lack of competition at IAD?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Why are IAD-Europe and IAD-Asia flights almost always more expensive than their Newark counterparts? Just lack of competition at IAD?
1. Lack of competition, especially for IAD-Asia. NYC has JFK and EWR, where lots of airlines fly to Asia and/or Europe. European flights out IAD aren't too bad usually, thanks to airlines like KLM/BA/AF at IAD, but Asia it is pretty bad, especially to Japan.

2. The DC area is very wealthy in general.

3. Government contracts requiring US airline travel. With UA and IAD being it for US airline operated flights internationally...
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by UAL250

2. The DC area is very wealthy in general.
Not sure the wealth of an area is a factor for ticket pricing, with that logic New York could have just as high of fares. I think it boils down to pure competition.
drewguy likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Definitely competition - NYC is a fully saturated market whereas WAS pretty much only has UA for long-haul.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I have not particularly noticed that IAD TATL is more expensive than EWR. When I look for a TATL flight, I usually look at both EWR and IAD, since I can get to either (and am looking for PZ), and normally EWR has less PZ and is more expensive (especially to LHR). I figured it was just a difference in supply and demand causing NY to be more. NOVA is a fairly wealthy business community. I think that means there is a relatively high proportion of people who want to and can afford to buy business class, making it desirable to the airlines to be there - but many will still buy the cheapest quality flight they can. Also, I understand that government workers can get on non-US airlines by buying codeshares with US airlines. At least that was what I was told when I saw some of them were flying AF.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by UAL250
3. Government contracts requiring US airline travel. With UA and IAD being it for US airline operated flights internationally...
Not sure this really contributes . . . the contracting rules allow codeshares, so for example the current IAD-LHR contract is American but on BA metal. For IAD-CDG it's Delta, but on Air France. And most government fares don't really displace non-gov fares. There are some higher priced gov fares that are last seat, but generally you get a lower tier fare bucket that's just as available as they are for non-gov. And no biz travel (or extremely limited).
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by drewguy
Not sure this really contributes . . . the contracting rules allow codeshares, so for example the current IAD-LHR contract is American but on BA metal. For IAD-CDG it's Delta, but on Air France. And most government fares don't really displace non-gov fares. There are some higher priced gov fares that are last seat, but generally you get a lower tier fare bucket that's just as available as they are for non-gov. And no biz travel (or extremely limited).
Government, business (incl. govt. contractor), and media flyers are indeed sizable drivers of DC international traffic. Importantly, they are often extremely time-sensitive, and require access to last seat availability. To accommodate those needs, and to mitigate commercial risks, airlines do tend to charge a bit more for ex-WAS longhaul tickets, especially for the more popular international destinations.

Conversely, DC sometimes gets fantastic deals to more off-the-beaten path (for Americans) destinations that don't extend to NYC flyers (since the diasporas in the NYC metro area guarantee some demand to most everywhere year round). I've scored some amazing DC-Serbia, DC-Stockholm, DC-Ukraine, and DC-Kazakhstan tickets on account of this phenomenon.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not just government contracts, but deep discounted corporate contracts as well. A lot of those people are paying nowhere near what you see quoted for ticket prices.

The fact that a government traveler can book AA and fly BA codeshare does not change the equation for either AA or BA as it is not only a JV, but a revenue share arrangement.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

The fact that a government traveler can book AA and fly BA codeshare does not change the equation for either AA or BA as it is not only a JV, but a revenue share arrangement.
Right. My point was that United wasn't the only international option. "Delta" and "AA" offer flights as well from IAD to at least some European destinations non-stop (and of course myriad connections on various airlines).
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by drewguy
the contracting rules allow codeshares, so for example the current IAD-LHR contract is American but on BA metal. For IAD-CDG it's Delta, but on Air France
That is exactly what I was told. Gee, I wonder why a government employee would rather fly AF TATL in economy (on a DL codeshare) than UA in economy on the same route?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:33 am

Well, IAD sees a great future when the # of passengers will be north of 30M but I doubt they see that future coming only from United. Or at least not prompted by United.

Maybe they will get more international flights... that will go to A/B. If they are *A, then maybe United will find within their heart to do code shares, then increase the # of domestic flights.

But since C/D is pretty crowded, I assume they won't be able to do this much. So, eventually, either

1- They take over a few gate in A/B

2- They get a much larger terminal

We all know that the go-to East hub is EWR. The problem is that it is EWR. Frankly, I am in Boston and I am trying to avoid EWR as much as possible. Too often, I get rude service, lunching there is pricey and quality did not improve accordingly, and ever since they put retails in the middle of the alleywards I find it as crowded at IAD. And EWR is prone to delays in my experience. Despite the lesser facilities I still opt for IAD when I can.
To the contrary, getting IAD to 30m passengers absolutely relies on United. That's the only realistic path for IAD to grow that much that quickly.

As others have noted, C/D is only crowded when it's crowded. At other times, all of that capacity is unused (and really, only the 5-7pm bank is completely at capacity). The opportunity for UA is to add more banks, as well as beef up the smaller banks of flights. And United has hinted that they're considering this in the recent past: https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....les-expansion/

All of this makes sense: United doesn't have a business case to replace C/D based on current Dulles traffic. But if Dulles were to grow - and specifically grow with additional banks of flights that make better all-day use of expensive airport assets, then suddenly the business case looks a lot better. You'd be adding costs, but defraying that cost across more passengers. And you'd build new gates, but pay for those gates with 6 departures a day instead of 4...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.