Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
A replacement for Terminal C has been on MWAA's 'to-do-list' for several years, so it's not like they *couldn't* already be deep into the planning stage.
You're mistaking the MWAA for a competent organization.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
A replacement for Terminal C has been on MWAA's 'to-do-list' for several years, so it's not like they *couldn't* already be deep into the planning stage.
They were deep into planning, with a completed EIS and everything. I gather they were about to start, then 9/11 happened, and then UA got cold feet, then the Great Recession hit, and everything changed.

http://www.metwashairports.com/sites...ust%202002.pdf

Since then, however, costs are a bigger concern for IAD, so they would likely want to revise this plan.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
I know this is pure speculation on my part, but is this a glimmer of hope that UA will at least start negotiating with MWAA to build a new C/D concourse at IAD?

Senior Project Manager ? Corporate Real Estate Job in Washington, DC United
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Until the Metro extension is completed, MWAA isn't going to do anything new at either Dulles or National. Rates on the Toll Road are about to go through the roof to pay for the extension - what was $0.50 15 years ago is $2.50 today and going up to north of $3.50 soon. So, they are not swimming in cash right now. That said, the design for the new C/D has been completed for years, which is why the Train to Nowhere ends up where it does. A lot of design work and building plans are done, so as soon as United ponies up the money to lease a new terminal for 30+ years, they could get bids out pretty quickly.

As I always say though, I once took a school field trip to check out the "temporary" terminals when they were about to open. That was in 1985, I believe. The "permanent" terminal was supposed to begin construction around 1990. 33 years later, they're still temporary.

Last edited by catocony; Jul 9, 2018 at 8:20 am
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
And for those coming to the summer mini-DO, we'll talk more about it directly with UA...

David
DCA writer and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by DELee
And for those coming to the summer mini-DO, we'll talk more about it directly with UA...

David
Was going to suggest this will be a *great* opportunity to ask questions about this. I can't attend, but hopefully someone who does can report back on this.
am1108 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by catocony
Until the Metro extension is completed, MWAA isn't going to do anything new at either Dulles or National. Rates on the Toll Road are about to go through the roof to pay for the extension - what was $0.50 15 years ago is $2.50 today and going up to north of $3.50 soon. So, they are not swimming in cash right now. That said, the design for the new C/D has been completed for years, which is why the Train to Nowhere ends up where it does. A lot of design work and building plans are done, so as soon as United ponies up the money to lease a new terminal for 30+ years, they could get bids out pretty quickly.

As I always say though, I once took a school field trip to check out the "temporary" terminals when they were about to open. That was in 1985, I believe. The "permanent" terminal was supposed to begin construction around 1990. 33 years later, they're still temporary.
Well, MWAA just started Project Journey which is going to renovate a lot of the infrastructure at DCA, not to mention a brand new terminal that they are spending $1BN on. So I wouldn't necessarily say that MWAA isn't doing anything at National. Which is when I saw the job opening last night I thought that UA is probably looking to at least start evaluating options for a new terminal at IAD and we might finally see a permanent terminal.... in our lifetime of course
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by am1108
I know this is pure speculation on my part, but is this a glimmer of hope that UA will at least start negotiating with MWAA to build a new C/D concourse at IAD?

It looks like it is a links to nowhere just the IAD train to nowhere.

am1108 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by catocony
That said, the design for the new C/D has been completed for years, which is why the Train to Nowhere ends up where it does. A lot of design work and building plans are done, so as soon as United ponies up the money to lease a new terminal for 30+ years, they could get bids out quickly .
Architectural designs have a shelf life. They would need to be updated to reflect changes in lighting technology, passenger expectations, airport catering standards, curtainwall technology, sustainability, airframe requirements, air bridge developments, airline lounge standards, baggage system technology, etc etc. as well as aesthetics. So there’s no design sitting on a shelf ready to go. Though those renderings that used to be in the transit station looked quite alluring.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Summary of FFG lunch chatter

Originally Posted by DELee

David
Indeed, we did! To sum up my conversations with United's IAD station manager and chief pilot:

• Everybody hates the C/D concourse. Fun fact: Because it consists of separate facilities joined together (I guess that's why you have those corridors that slope up or down), it doesn't have any kind of central HVAC system. However, people in Chicago may not quite realize how bad it is.

• UA is no longer neglecting IAD: Flights and passenger volumes are way up, and management seems to have realized the asset they have for north-south connecting flights that would earlier have gone to EWR, where they can be the first ones delayed or cancelled.

• But United still doesn't like the debt at IAD, in particular that for the Aerotrain. I've tried to look up when that comes off the books but haven't been able to find out; however, since that project began in 2003, it can't be that far off. Right? The airline is also concerned about IAD's cost per emplanement, although that's been trending down. Per this Feb. 2018 report in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, at $20.95 it's now below EWR's $28.05 (and EWR has its own expensive projects coming, the Terminal A replacement and the PATH extension). Finally, UA really favors keeping the DCA perimeter rule.

• My sense is that UA both wants to see MWAA retire a bunch more debt and agree to kick in more to replace the C/D concourse. And if the airline's going to build out an extension to the C concourse for a Polaris Lounge, it must not see that coming in the next several years. Marginal upgrades to C/D may happen in the meantime - the station manager mentioned things like bigger windows and higher ceilings.

In short, IAD has at least a few more years to go serving as America's most persuasive argument for flying with *G status.
Duke777 and drewguy like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by DCA writer
• My sense is that UA both wants to see MWAA retire a bunch more debt and agree to kick in more to replace the C/D concourse. And if the airline's going to build out an extension to the C concourse for a Polaris Lounge, it must not see that coming in the next several years. Marginal upgrades to C/D may happen in the meantime - the station manager mentioned things like bigger windows and higher ceilings.

In short, IAD has at least a few more years to go serving as America's most persuasive argument for flying with *G status.
A few more years? Try a few more decades. If they are going to spend $$ to raise the ceilings and install bigger windows, that means decades, not years before the new concourse is built.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by DCA writer
They're also in the process of renovating the Flight Attendant offices and related areas. Not a small project at all as it'll be about a year's worth of construction once it's all finished.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by fezzington
They're also in the process of renovating the Flight Attendant offices and related areas. Not a small project at all as it'll be about a year's worth of construction once it's all finished.
Just another nail in the coffin for a new C/D concourse. As long as UA has no perceived competition there, customers will be treated accordingly.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by fezzington
From what I've heard, you all could use some new digs there.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by am1108

United needs to fly more of its OWN planes from IAD rather than the regional junk. Why build a new terminal if you have no real planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.