Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I'm thinking of Star Trek II when Kirk suggests Kahn's thinking is 2 dimensional and they move the Enterprise Z minus whatever.
z-10,000m, standby photon torpedoes.

So, for the long run, it seems MWAA has to keep developing IAD and keep the airlines from leaving. What is preventing it from allocating the expenses differently? Does the "disproportionate" allocation apply to debts only or all the overheads? What purposes were the debts for? How much of this is to appease the politicians / lobbyists in DC - keep DCA fares low for them artificially (i.e. no premium for the convenience)? How does it work between LGA and JFK?
Where are they going to go? The international carriers except AC can't serve DCA, so for international flights its the only game in town. And frankly, the B concourse of IAD is quite nice, the aerotrain is quite nice (its a bit ridiculous). And the architecture of the main terminal is great.

The problem is C/D, and its United's problem, all the other airlines are in B (and the part of B they renamed A). Its only a tad bit older than the Livery.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by nevansm
DCA is a better airport in every way and will continue to be until the C/D concourses are replaced. Even then, there's still many problems like the time it takes to park, walk, train, walk to the gate.
I'll take a non-stop out of IAD ANY DAY over a connection out of DCA.

Originally Posted by EWR764

I continue to believe that IAD is a future play for United. The region is growing and international service remains sustainable. At some point, DCA will reach an absolute limit of capacity and growth will return to IAD. At the same time, UA can't do much more at EWR than upgauge, and the DC local market is larger than Chicago to a lot of key international points. The problem is that domestic O&D at IAD to inside-perimeter markets is just about nonexistent. It won't be that way forever. I hope UAL can hold on at IAD until all that happens.
This is spot on. DC is the 3rd wealthiest US MSA - the O&D demand should be there for both domestic and international traffic. Unlike EWR, IAD is no where near capacity (unlike EWR) and rarely has weather/ATC delays (unlike EWR and ORD).
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by StingWest
Except for the important fact that the longest runway there is only 7169 feet (and the others are just 5000+ a little).

I like the safety and operational aspects of IAD's much longer runways (up to 11,500 feet and a true cross runway of 10,500).
I use both terminals frequently (several times a month to and from DEN) and I love the proximity to downtown (especially convenient with afternoon meeting timing).

HOWEVER - the short runway concerns me and they are already over capacity in the terminal and at the gates. There's just no room for 5 lines with heavy elite traffic.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I wouldn't, but I don't live in DC. I'd rather not deal with the hassle of a car, driving out there, car rental, OR taking the metro and the bus. perhaps once the silver line goes all the way it would tip the scales, but as of now, its an unpredictable ride. I like airports where I can target arriving 45 minutes out.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
When I lived in the DC area and routinely drove out to IAD at odd hours, I felt the same way. Now I live elsewhere but visit DC often, and IAD is my least favorite airport, even with the Silver Line reaching as far as Wiehle. I prefer BWI + MARC and that's my routine fallback when DCA is too expensive.

I know UA ought to be thinking of IAD as a long-term play in a wealthy market, but management doesn't think in terms any longer than necessary. I believe UA will continue to short IAD and create a vacuum for other, smarter airlines to exploit.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
When I lived in the DC area and routinely drove out to IAD at odd hours, I felt the same way. Now I live elsewhere but visit DC often, and IAD is my least favorite airport, even with the Silver Line reaching as far as Wiehle. I prefer BWI + MARC and that's my routine fallback when DCA is too expensive.

I know UA ought to be thinking of IAD as a long-term play in a wealthy market, but management doesn't think in terms any longer than necessary. I believe UA will continue to short IAD and create a vacuum for other, smarter airlines to exploit.
Of the major hubs of the big 3 carriers, I can't think of one that's less capacity constrained for challenger airlines than Dulles. And it's been that way since what...2005 when Independence Air gave it a go?

Plenty gates at Z and B. And no runway issues.

Just corrupt airport management and lawmakers who refuse to make the drive, and do everything they can to make National more convenient for their own trips home.

Not to mention more Gulf competition than any other airport except JFK.

Combine that with terrible traffic issues that make taking flow from other parts of the region difficult and it's not a compelling case for Delta or American to 'exploit.'

This is coming from someone who likes Dulles and wants to see it grow.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by BearX220
I believe UA will continue to short IAD and create a vacuum for other, smarter airlines to exploit.
But is that really happening? Frontier has established a sizable network of irregular service to strongly price-sensitive leisure destinations, as well as a handful of other domestic cities. I don't see carriers using IAD for any novel purpose that has thus far evaded United...

IAD's woes are attributable to United in very small part, if at all.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by entropy
And frankly, the B concourse of IAD is quite nice, the aerotrain is quite nice (its a bit ridiculous). And the architecture of the main terminal is great.

The problem is C/D, and its United's problem, all the other airlines are in B (and the part of B they renamed A). Its only a tad bit older than the Livery.
I think this is lost in the conversations around IAD - those of you who regularly experience only UA's terminals think (correctly) it's a dump but terminal B is quite nice. Last week I had nice glass of wine at the Starbucks (!!) while waiting for my SAA flight to board

Regardless of UA's future at IAD it will continue to be THE TATL/TPAC airport for the DC area. DC/NoVa based flyers are not keen to leave from DCA and to stop at EWR, JFK, PHL etc for long-haul flights. UA may cut some domestic feed but I don't see IAD-NRT/LHR/CDG/BRU/FRA going anywhere.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by BrianCUnited
Regardless of UA's future at IAD it will continue to be THE TATL/TPAC airport for the DC area. DC/NoVa based flyers are not keen to leave from DCA and to stop at EWR, JFK, PHL etc for long-haul flights. UA may cut some domestic feed but I don't see IAD-NRT/LHR/CDG/BRU/FRA going anywhere.
Which is precisely why I don't see United's IAD hub going the way of CLE. It has a strong base of high-yield international demand, coupled with a feeder network to collect traffic from points across the US to augment the local demand. CLE had very little international demand, and as a purely domestic Midwest hub with a medium-sized local market, was redundant to ORD in every way.

On the other hand, IAD serves a larger, wealthier population and caters to a cohort of the market that has no viable option out of the preferred airport in the region (beyond-perimeter and longhaul). Those advantages make the incumbent position at IAD far more valuable than CLE ever was to the post-merger United.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
I wouldn't, but I don't live in DC. I'd rather not deal with the hassle of a car, driving out there, car rental, OR taking the metro and the bus. perhaps once the silver line goes all the way it would tip the scales, but as of now, its an unpredictable ride. I like airports where I can target arriving 45 minutes out.
What hassle? UberX is $35 / 35 minute ride to IAD from the city. Thats on par or lower than most airport trip costs in other cities.

Hassle is misconnecting in ORD or EWR or having your delay free journey take ~2 hours longer than a non-stop out of IAD. On top of all of that, more and more of the DCA-ORD flights are UAX.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
What hassle? UberX is $35 / 35 minute ride to IAD from the city. Thats on par or lower than most airport trip costs in other cities.

Hassle is misconnecting in ORD or EWR or having your delay free journey take ~2 hours longer than a non-stop out of IAD. On top of all of that, more and more of the DCA-ORD flights are UAX.
I didn't realize it had gotten that cheap! Last time I took UberX, it was a $49 flat fare from the District to IAD (still far more reasonable than $70 cab plus tip, which has always been my biggest hurdle in using IAD--the RT taxi fare often costs half the price of the flight)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by dcaiadflyer
I didn't realize it had gotten that cheap! Last time I took UberX, it was a $49 flat fare from the District to IAD (still far more reasonable than $70 cab plus tip, which has always been my biggest hurdle in using IAD--the RT taxi fare often costs half the price of the flight)
The Uber IAD flat rates were done away with about a month ago, overall its now much cheaper than before.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:57 pm

UberX is $35
Wait, really??? It's $55-60 from Arlington.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
The Uber IAD flat rates were done away with about a month ago, overall its now much cheaper than before.
Current rate quotes at Uber's site for travel from 1800 K St. NW to IAD:

uberX $35-46
uberXL $75-99
UberBLACK $99-129
UberSUV $113-146
uberTAXI Metered
UberX is definitely cheaper than the old flat rate ($70? $65?), but the others are not.

Anyway... back to the thread.

I'm starting to wonder if we're waiting on MWAA as much as if not more than UA. The airline built a new widebody hangar at IAD a year or two back and has completed non-trivial terminal upgrades at SFO and IAH. Meanwhile, MWAA seems (understandably) intent on finishing the Silver Line before it tackles anything else big, and it also still has to prove to a skeptical public that the bad old days of fiscal mismanagement are done.

You'd think they could just take the design for the B concourse, tweak it as necessary for the C/D location and get a nice symmetrical set of terminals. But I only engineer sentences and paragraphs, not civil infrastructure.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
This is very good to know. All of my international flying the past 5 years has been IAD until this year. I definitely missed that convenience when my FCO-PHL flight left two hours late due to winds and I ended up misconnecting and having to kill several extra hours in PHL.

I'm also a huge IAD fan (I think it's beautiful, C/D excepted) and tend to agree with those posters who think that it has a reasonably bright future if it can get through the next few years. And now that I've moved over to OW, I can take the BA A380! (I'd love to see a JAL flight too but IAD-NRT seems quite well served currently)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.