Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I hope not. I don't want to lose the Senator lounge for sharing some junky United lounge facilities where you need a chit just to get a drink, and the only food is a packet of peanuts.
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Ha, I hear you, although the chits are gone thanks to the Continental influence. All drinks free, if you're willing to drink that kind of stuff.
Not all drinks are free. You can pay for their "premium" stuff.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:22 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Senator lounge food is nothing worth visiting in my view - not worth the calories - but it is better than the salty snacks from the United Club.
Decent German Beer @:-) and shower facilities.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Dulles is a pit, and I see no near-term solution. If you fly UA, you're relegated to the terminal with 25% of the space it needs for the passengers it services.

As for the United Club? They've been shabby at IAD for quite some time. But I was just in the NRT United Club, and WOW -- shabby, shabby, shabby. I couldn;t find a chair with an armrest that wasn't worn through and looked like the back seat in some 1980's-vintage used car. Yuck.

So when in IAD, use the LH Club and in Narita the ANA Club. Way more betta. :-)
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann
What are Lufthansa's plans for IAD? UA could try to consolidate all *A in a new C/D terminal.
LH's plan is probably the status quo... while speculating about a C/D Star Alliance terminal you may as well speculate as to whether there will still be a Star Alliance whenever said hypothetical terminal opens.

Plus I doubt LH wants to give up its dual boarding/board from the lounge gate that it enjoys now in B.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I have previously speculated that Parker would be foolish if he ignored the growth potential at IAD once he takes over AA.

At DCA, US has a huge market share, and AA's share is in itself pretty large. Unless you hold one of the scarce beyond-perimeter slots, the only way to get your customers between Washington DC (DCA or IAD) and the west coast is from IAD, and IAD-SFO isn't all that off-the-wall for new AA.

AA has long flown multiple daily flights between IAD and LAX, although the frequencies have declined (as have the size of the planes) as UA's costs came down and it cemented its hold on IAD. Pre-September 11, AA ran several daily 3-class 767s between IAD and LAX.

Now that new AA will have substantially lower costs than UA (even after Parker's promised raises to everyone), Parker should look at the growth opportunities for a few new long-hauls from IAD. If US has a large loyal following in the DC metro area, and new AA is able to hang onto many of them (or intends to), then some well-timed-for-business transcons from IAD to SEA, SFO and SAN look like naturals. I could easily see three daily 738s between IAD and each of them.

AA spent 2012 chipping away at UA, and some growth at both SFO and IAD would continue that momentum.
SFO I can see for AA once VX kicks it; however O&D traffic out of IAD has been tough. B6 tried SAN (albeit with a red-eye east bound) and bailed. B6 has come and gone for OAK from IAD a couple of times (now it is back). B6 and WN pulled all IAD-Florida flying. WN is now just MDW and DEN. AA tried ORD with RJs several years ago and quit. US used to have a PHX flight which is gone (this may have been before they got a 3rd DCA slot).

UA used to run 4x IAD-SEA in the summer before AS got a second daily DCA-SEA (and UA started downsizing SEA). I struggle to envision AA adding IAD-SEA and pulling in decent yields unless UA drops to 2x dailies. I'd like to see AA take on UA at IAD similar to how DL does, with frequent flights to the main hub (ATL is roughly every 2 hours), a couple of JFK flights, CVG, DTW, MSP and 2x SLC. AA has LAX and DFW plus 2 horribly timed MIA flights. Bring back ORD and put in some more MIA frequencies.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:32 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
IAD works for me. I'm used to it now and at least the "new" carpeting makes it a little better. You can't beat the midfield concourse when arriving into the USA if you are connecting--heck of a lot better than most UA hubs.
That's it! New carpeting. I knew something was different. Security for connecting flights after clearing I&C is awful. It's a massive bottleneck with only a fast lane for GS/GF and few scanners overall, or has that changed?

IAD from 1530-1730 is a madhouse and pretty much bursting at the seams, especially at UNITED check-in and security. You would never know its a mere shadow of what it once was

When I was there in June the tram wasn't working.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's better than nothing

they have started refreshing the UC at C17. CSR says this is part of the club-wide renovation project.

word to the wise - this location will be quickly full in the afternoon, as part of the space is closed off with temporary drywall. I'd opt for D8 or C7 locations after noon.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:53 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Pre-clearance

I don't see MWAA allowing more pre-clear flights in DCA. If you look though their public statements, and some of their board minutes, they manage traffic at DCA to try to maintain IADs international (and some domestic) traffic. They're actually the strongest lobby to keep perimeter restrictions at DCA since it forces long haul flights at IAD.

I can't see United forking out money to build a new hub at IAD. IIRC the IAH renovations were funded largely by the city and the feds. Somehow I can't see the VA government, which can't agree on funding for a rational transportation plan, figuring out how to get money to help United build a shiny new terminal.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold
Is there any cost feasibility of doing a major rehab on the current C/D terminal vice building a new terminal. I'm sure there's some creative ways you could add retail/food space and then re-skin the exteriors with additional windows.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I think it's apparent/obvious/foregone conclusion that new AA will have to divest some DCA slots, but that has very little to do with the loyalty of long-term customers in the WAS metro area. As Parker has said, divested DCA slots will mean that small towns will lose their three-times-a-day CRJs, it won't cause reductions to the hubs or big focus cities.
Divesting DCA slots doesn't necessarily mean dropping service to small towns. Divestures could come from routes that both AA and US fly (ie Nashville and Raleigh) as well as high frequency routes that are mostly on regional jets (ie PHL). Reduce frequency on such routes and use larger aircraft on the remaining flights to minimize the capacity loss.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Is there a plan to renovate IAD, yes. Will this plan ever be implemented, no.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by colpuck
Is there a plan to renovate IAD, yes. Will this plan ever be implemented, no.
Don't hate on MWAA and VA that much
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: UA-GS/3MM, AA, DL, US
Any new news about IAD concourse C replacement?

I don't usually get to use concourse B at IAD but had to take a trip on Qatar this week. Continued to be struck by the contrast between concourses B and C at IAD. Anyone KNOW anything about plans by United to finally do something about it? Last I heard, UA was dragging its feet because they were investing so much at IAH.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 16, 2014 at 4:52 am Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JK IAD
I don't usually get to use concourse B at IAD but had to take a trip on Qatar this week. Continued to be struck by the contrast between concourses B and C at IAD. Anyone KNOW anything about plans by United to finally do something about it? Last I heard, UA was dragging its feet because they were investing so much at IAH.
It's a combination of UA not caring about IAD and MWAA being an incompetent administrator of the airport. In order to build a new C/D concourse, MWAA isn't going to invest the money unless the tenant is willing to chip in their share. Given MWAA's demonstrated past inability to bring projects to completion on schedule and budget, one almost can't blame UA for being reluctant. But it's clear that while UA is willing to spend money at IAH, EWR, SFO and LAX, they are unwilling to spend any at IAD - most likely because they don't face significant competition - so why do anything good for the customer experience at that craphole of a concourse?

Back in August I was greeted by a familiar sight at IAD - trash cans collecting rain from the leaky roof, and temporary A/C units.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by halls120
It's a combination of UA not caring about IAD and MWAA being an incompetent administrator of the airport. In order to build a new C/D concourse, MWAA isn't going to invest the money unless the tenant is willing to chip in their share. Given MWAA's demonstrated past inability to bring projects to completion on schedule and budget, one almost can't blame UA for being reluctant. But it's clear that while UA is willing to spend money at IAH, EWR, SFO and LAX, they are unwilling to spend any at IAD - most likely because they don't face significant competition - so why do anything good for the customer experience at that craphole of a concourse?

Back in August I was greeted by a familiar sight at IAD - trash cans collecting rain from the leaky roof, and temporary A/C units.
One of my very good friends here in DC works for MWAA administration next to Reagan. He says that MWAA is God-awful and the entire place is toxic -- not to mention that the entire organization is run like it is still 1975.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Sulley
One of my very good friends here in DC works for MWAA administration next to Reagan. He says that MWAA is God-awful and the entire place is toxic -- not to mention that the entire organization is run like it is still 1975.
Indeed, it's a classic Washington DC institution - joint management by a board with appointments from VA, DC, and MD, plus the President, of two airports. And it gets hung up constantly in economic development issues - Dulles constituencies are complaining about not enough passenger growth at IAD, but the solution for that is to hamper improvements at DCA or fight for stricter flight restrictions - that kind of thing. One can imagine DCA supporters don't really relish having IAD improve its passenger amenities lest it draw traffic away from DCA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.