Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exerda
Not to go off onto too much of a tangent, but I doubt that. With US exiting *A, IAD is UA's hub for the southeast--EWR and IAH are just too far out of the way to make them viable alternatives for connecting traffic. And there's too much business in the area who won't accept connecting to EWR on a puddle jumper beholden to WX irrops to go TATL. For that matter, the fact that they actually have room to grow at IAD whereas at EWR they don't (due to ATC) pretty much assures IAD of remaining a hub for the foreesable future.
If UA were to de-hub IAD, it would a clear indication that they are surrendering market share to AA and DL.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by exerda
Not to go off onto too much of a tangent, but I doubt that. With US exiting *A, IAD is UA's hub for the southeast--EWR and IAH are just too far out of the way to make them viable alternatives for connecting traffic. And there's too much business in the area who won't accept connecting to EWR on a puddle jumper beholden to WX irrops to go TATL. For that matter, the fact that they actually have room to grow at IAD whereas at EWR they don't (due to ATC) pretty much assures IAD of remaining a hub for the foreesable future.
+1. If UA sought to consolidate its east coast international gateway in EWR it would have to seriously upgrade the flight options from IAD and DCA to EWR. Of course, that's possible, but is it likely?

As it is right now, IAD probably needs to remain an international hub for UA because of the substantial international traffic. Neither AA nor DL flies anything close to the same flights, and the rest are national carriers that fly only a few routes to their home country. I can't imagine UA would cede the opportunity to continue flying those flights.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by JetAway
I think it's more likely UA will de-hub IAD or at least seriously cut capacity over the next few years.
Hahaha, and move the traffic where? You're funny.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
There is no way UA is going to de-hub IAD anytime in at least the next decade, absent something that (a) destroys IAD or (b) significantly removes restrictions from, and increases the size of, DCA.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by drewguy
The DC travel forum has a thread on the subject.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/washi...airport-2.html

Suffice to say, a new C/D terminal is a mere gleam in the eye. There's no funding for it right now, and just general concept plans, nothing specific.
I wouldn't go that far. The renderings of a lovely new C/D concourse that taunt you when you exit the Aerotrain come, AFAICT, from the design MWAA hired Kohn Pedersen Fox to draw up. That's not enough detail to hand to a contractor, but at a minimum it ought to serve as a starting point for whatever "value engineering" you need before tackling the money situation.

And that's the issue--MWAA needs to cobble together funding and so does UA. My guess would be that MWAA is nearing a position to make that call, now that it knows pretty much what the rest of Metro to IAD will cost. I'd like to think UA can start to look intently at its checkbook too, considering the money it's put into IAH and is putting towards new airplanes. But what do I know?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Hahaha, and move the traffic where? You're funny.
I travel out of IAD on a weekly basis and I've had to deal with UA's significant cut-back of flights and capacity both domestic & international. They haven't "moved" traffic-they've simply eliminated it. Transcons that were wide-body are now A319s and B737s. Several former non-stops now require connections in ORD or IAH. RJs proliferate. The time-is-money crowd strongly prefers DCA. And I don't think the current UA management has any special interest or affection for IAD. Slow death by a thousand cuts. Yea, Hahaha-joke's on us.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
Also discussed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ility-iad.html.

My opinion remains what I said there:

Originally Posted by RedHeadFlyer
While I have no love for the C/D terminal, primarily due to the long walks and shuttling (train or bus) involved, it still serves my basic needs of a terminal - a place I walk through to get to the plane. I'll survive if it's not an architectural monument, art museum, or gourmet restaurant.

If a new terminal dropped out of the sky, I'd rejoice. But if it's United's funding choice between a new IAD and say, more/better planes with more routes, times, and upgrade chances, is anyone voting for a better IAD?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
LH lounge on Concourse B is where I spend my time at IAD.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
a few thoughts:

1) UA isn't closing CLE anytime soon, despite the constant rhetoric, CLE is a very profitable operation for them. There's no downside to having a 'hub' unless you're losing money on the flying. They do get a lot of upside, with the corporate contracts and hub pricing.

2) IAD has been 'right' sized to the CO mentality. CO doesn't run widebodies domestically. so all those flights are gone, and would've been either way. When it was UA, IAD was a highly lopsided operation, it was either RJs or widebodies, with a low % of narrowbodies relative to the other hubs.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
a few thoughts:

1) UA isn't closing CLE anytime soon, despite the constant rhetoric, CLE is a very profitable operation for them. There's no downside to having a 'hub' unless you're losing money on the flying. They do get a lot of upside, with the corporate contracts and hub pricing.

2) IAD has been 'right' sized to the CO mentality. CO doesn't run widebodies domestically. so all those flights are gone, and would've been either way. When it was UA, IAD was a highly lopsided operation, it was either RJs or widebodies, with a low % of narrowbodies relative to the other hubs.
However, per this thread, the "right-sized" UA/IAD can't justify the $$ expenditure for a new C/D terminal. You can call it a "HUB" or whatever, the operation is a shadow of its former self.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I wouldn't go that far. The renderings of a lovely new C/D concourse that taunt you when you exit the Aerotrain come, AFAICT, from the design MWAA hired Kohn Pedersen Fox to draw up. That's not enough detail to hand to a contractor, but at a minimum it ought to serve as a starting point for whatever "value engineering" you need before tackling the money situation.
Well, sure, but those concept drawings put a gleam in my eye, but nothing more. They were done in 2010 (or earlier).

I doubt there's significant debate on what facilities are needed and the general overall footprint (although perhaps they would make it extendable, or build only one wing at first).

It's a money issue, and despite it hanging out there for years there hasn't been any open talk of moving past the general concept/wish.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:54 pm

That new midfield terminal has been "planned" for 15+ years.

It may take a tornado or something that knocks down the temporary (<snicker>) C/D terminals to get a new one built.

UA is building a new maintenance hangar at IAD though, so there is some sort of capital investment in the airport.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by EricH
They "plan" to replace C/D in the same way that they "plan" to build Metro to IAD. I don't expect to live long enough to see either of these "plans" realized.
The contract has now been awarded for the last phase of this project. Delivery in summer 2018. It has already reached Reston. Next...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by whlinder
...UA is building a new maintenance hangar at IAD though, so there is some sort of capital investment in the airport.
This surprised me too.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
However, per this thread, the "right-sized" UA/IAD can't justify the $$ expenditure for a new C/D terminal. You can call it a "HUB" or whatever
Old UA couldn't justify it either

The terminals were meant to be temporary when they were build in 1982.

The question has always been about money. Building a new set of terminals is likely to cost billions, which means all IAD-based fliers will be paying higher fares to pay it off for many, many years once it happens.

, the operation is a shadow of its former self.
Daily mainline departures from UA are about the same as pre-merger. It is true a couple of hub-hub routes no longer have widebodies, but on the other hand IAD now has HNL, DUB, and MAN plus upgauges on several other routes from regional to mainline.

If that's a "shadow of its former self" I'd hate to see what you'd call it if they made real cuts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.