Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how strict to get gate pass?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:54 am

Most agents will give you a gate pass, if you ask. However, TSA does not want passes handed out randomly as it increases the burden at the security check point. So, if the UA agent asks why you need a pass, just say you are meeting your elderly mother and/or young teenage child.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nyr2299
I have the Mrs and an 18 m old kid flying into EWR this saturday and want to meet them at the gate - 2 questions:

1. Can I get a gate pass and how?
2. I know people get a fully refundable ticket - Do I buy the ticket and cancel it once I clear security? What are the issues with this, if any?

Thanks

NYR2299
If you're not quite familiar with the 2nd option, don't do it.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by azstar
Most agents will give you a gate pass, if you ask. ....
more on the process in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...on-family.html (realize your situation is different).

Gatepasses are available for those meeting travelers needing assistance or for UC members
If UC member, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ub-access.html

Refundable ticket is another option -- best to do for a flight that will occur later enough to allow cancellation with plenty of time.

However, TSA does not want passes handed out randomly as it increases the burden at the security check point. ...
source?

....So, if the UA agent asks why you need a pass, just say you are meeting your elderly mother and/or young teenage child.
while this is a personal ethical choice, I prefer not to lie or deliberately deceive in my interactions with others. I would prefer not to contribute the removal / increased restrictions on the use of gatepasses.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Refundable ticket is another option -- best to do for a flight that will occur later enough to allow cancellation with plenty of time.

while this is a personal ethical choice, I prefer not to lie or deliberately deceive in my interactions with others. I would prefer not to contribute the removal / increased restrictions on the use of gatepasses.
I would think that buying a refundable ticket with no intention of flying would be considered deliberately deceptive. It would also incur more costs for the airline than than issuing a gate pass based on a more simple lie.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by djk7
I would think that buying a refundable ticket with no intention of flying would be considered deliberately deceptive. It would also incur more costs for the airline than than issuing a gate pass based on a more simple lie.
one could consider that (not sure if done via web it leads to higher costs -- but neither of us can speak to that). While not a fan of the refundable appraoch, it is at least inside the established process (and it has some limiting constraints that would limit its abuse). Concern I have with the gatepass deceptive is if grossly / commonly abused, it might be easier just to stop offering.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Thanks all for the info - I am a UC member and didnt realize I can use it when I am not traveling. I will likely go for that option first / telling them that my wife needs help with luggage and a child who likes to run.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by nyr2299
Thanks all for the info - I am a UC member and didnt realize I can use it when I am not traveling. I will likely go for that option first / telling them that my wife needs help with luggage and a child who likes to run.
As a UC member, it is written benefit and you don't need to make up a story. But be prepared with the GG line number because as the other thread covers, not all agents are aware of this, although EWR folks should (but they are EWR folks );
Old Sep 3, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA:Plat, MR:GLD, HH:SLV
Thumbs down

While not a fan of the refundable appraoch, it is at least inside the established process (and it has some limiting constraints that would limit its abuse). Concern I have with the gatepass deceptive is if grossly / commonly abused, it might be easier just to stop offering.
This trick would at least have made my last trip more enjoyable (wish I remembered it)! Flew AC metal out of FLL and into Canada (hence out of T2) with a UA reward business tix - yet UA is in T1. Assumed I could still use UC in the interim (per *A's lounge finder) since I was on a I-class fare (IIRC).

AC agent in T2 mentioned TSA would not let me through with my T2 (AC) BP. UA agent didn't want to issue gate pass, since I had no UA flight out of T1. Then TSA in T1 indeed told UA supervisor that gate passes would have done the job, but UA still refused to issue one... That was a very long and boring wait in T2. :-(

Last edited by Eracine; Sep 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm Reason: Typos
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:57 pm

SFO experience?

Looking to go to gate with two kids age 13, family members, not traveling as unaccompanied minors at SFO.

Sounds like getting a gate pass is at agent's discretion, wondering if any recent experiences, especially ex SFO?

Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by adlibitum
Looking to go to gate with two kids age 13, family members, not traveling as unaccompanied minors at SFO.

Sounds like getting a gate pass is at agent's discretion, wondering if any recent experiences, especially ex SFO? ....
There is some agent's discretion to this and it could vary depending on the agent -- so past experiences are probably of little guidance.

If not a UC member, gate pass are usually reserved for an individual assigning passengers to the gate -- underage, infirm, language issues, .... What would be the basis of your request?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 pm

Sounds like getting a gate pass is at agent's discretion, wondering if any recent experiences, especially ex SFO?

Thanks
Can't speak specifically SFO, but whenever I go to ORD, they never question it and just give me a gate pass.

I do have UC, but they never ask for the card and just start processing before even looking me up in the system.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:20 pm

There is some agent's discretion to this and it could vary depending on the agent -- so past experiences are probably of little guidance.

If not a UC member, gate pass are usually reserved for an individual assigning passengers to the gate -- underage, infirm, language issues, .... What would be the basis of your request?
I suppose the basis is simply wanting to make sure two minors traveling on their own internationally find their way through security and to the gate. Not enough?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:27 pm

I suppose the basis is simply wanting to make sure two minors traveling on their own internationally find their way through security and to the gate. Not enough?
This is where you are dependent on the agent -- who might note you did not use the UCM process. Personally I would let you in (and suspect you have a good chance) but not my decision.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:01 pm

I've used a gate pass for UC in DEN twice in the past year. First time was given a pass in less than a minute, no questions asked.

Second time the counter agent asked if I had a conference room reserved. I said "No, but I'm meeting someone." (true) She phoned the UC, chatted about something, and issued a pass in a few minutes.

I did buy a refundable ticket once at LAX to access the UC. I thought it would be easier than dealing with lines and a potential decline. However I ended up waiting a while at security for the confirmation/boarding pass to arrive. (I booked it walking over from another terminal).

I should have just visited the desk, as that method turned out to be... "counter" productive
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:14 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Will buying a one day United Club pass allow me past security without a ticket?

I am trying to accompany my wife to the gate on her outbound flight at DCA. I know I can buy a fully refundable ticket, but that isn't ideal.
I know you can get past security if you have a full united club membership. Does it work the same way if I have a one day pass?
Would it be easier to just day that she has sprained her ankle and request a gate pass?
Or should I just buy the refundable ticket...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.