Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fly Standby on Last Leg of Award Ticket with Checked Bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:55 am
Original Poster

If I am flying A-B-C on an award ticket *with checked bags*, is there any issue with being allowed to fly standby on an earlier B-C flight after I arrive at B?
I'm a 1K
I realize my bags would still arrive on the later flight and I would need to collect them...

Last edited by shdflyer; Oct 8, 2013 at 5:07 am
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM
In an ideal world, you would SDC onto the earlier flight and your bags would be with you.

Heh, I put 'ideal world' in a sentence about dealing with United.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: kayaker
Most likely a no-go, though some people have reported success especially if you tell the agents in your 1st departure city that you'd like to standby on the 2nd leg. As a 1K, you also get close-in award fees waived, so you can also keep an eye on availability on your 2nd segment and just grab it when (if) it comes open.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:30 am
Suspended

I dont think an award tkt is any different from a rev tkt, once you have checked bags 99.999% of the time you can kiss a SBY goodbye.

Ive tried numerous times when my 1st leg arrived early and I was able to get onto an earlier flight and told no way due to my checked bags, of cause once I got to my final destination my bags were sitting in the baggage office as they were loaded on the earlier flight , but at least I didnt have to waste my time waiting for the bags to be unloaded
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:36 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Why don't you do a SDC on the second leg when you check-in and check your bag onto the earlier flight?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Is point B to point C international or domestic?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aacharya
Is point B to point C international or domestic?
This is an essential question. I do not understand why people insist on using "AAA-BBB-CCC" instead of the actual airport codes.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is an essential question. I do not understand why people insist on using "AAA-BBB-CCC" instead of the actual airport codes.
+1 - The more information people provide, the better the answers they get.

A case in point is that while one cannot generally standby for a flight with checked luggage, decent GA's will often do this on small aircraft to small outstations where switching luggage from one cart to another is not a major logistical challenge.

So, what is the route, what aircraft and so forth?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think they are paranoid that somehow airport codes plus an FT handle will give away their SSN. (Or that UA might check up on them somehow). :-)
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1

A case in point is that while one cannot generally standby for a flight with checked luggage, decent GA's will often do this on small aircraft to small outstations where switching luggage from one cart to another is not a major logistical challenge.

So, what is the route, what aircraft and so forth?
Saver Award Ticket YYZ - IAD - SHD (Shenandoah)
IAD-SHD is operated by UX/Silver Airways
I am ticketed on the 10:00 pm IAD - SHD but will be at IAD with plenty of time to make the 6:00 pm
BUT I have to check bags at YYZ.
Also, past experience as SHD is my home field, I highly doubt an additinal IAD-SHD saver seat will open up.
Thank you for the help!
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shdflyer
Saver Award Ticket YYZ - IAD - SHD (Shenandoah)
IAD-SHD is operated by UX/Silver Airways
I am ticketed on the 10:00 pm IAD - SHD but will be at IAD with plenty of time to make the 6:00 pm
BUT I have to check bags at YYZ.
Also, past experience as SHD is my home field, I highly doubt an additinal IAD-SHD saver seat will open up.
Thank you for the help!
Ask at YYZ to tag through only to IAD. If it were not a pre-clearance airport, this wouldn't even be an issue, since you'd have to get your bags again in IAD.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Tell the agent in YYZ that you are going to try for standby on IAD-SHD. They can appropriately tag the bags such that they can be available at the plane for the standby flight. Just checking bags doesn't preclude one from changing flights en route, so long as you are prepared for it in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.