Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR - EZE ending.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 2:09 pm

Some of you really lack a historical perspective on this one. UA has really done musical chairs with EZE. UA has tried EZE nonstop from MIA, ORD, and IAD over many years. They've all failed. Now it has failed from EWR, also. Not a good track record. EZE is only working from IAH. And I just checked and noticed DL is not going JFK to EZE nonstop either. Obviously DL can't compete otherwise it would be nonstop (just kidding, that was tongue and cheek) but more likely it's not a goldmine from NYC afterall. It has nothing to do with flight reliability. That's no longer an issue.

Airlines only have to get you there. Suing, calling a competitor, calling the BBB, calling a congressman, all because you're inconvienced by a schedule change is a useless exercise. One time I booked a ticket on AA 6 months in advance. I nearly missed the flight because they had changed the flight times, moving it up earlier without informing me.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KennethinSaudi
Some of you really lack a historical perspective on this one. UA has really done musical chairs with EZE. UA has tried EZE nonstop from MIA, ORD, and IAD over many years. They've all failed.
Did IAD-EZE fail, or did the HouCrew bring it to EWR because they thought it would do better there?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coolcoil
I am surprised to see so little mention of COPA here. COPA has 2 daily flights to EZE and 4 to SCL. I appears that is unchanged at least through December. I understand there is a segment of the market that wants real BF service and a single long flight from North America, but for most, COPA is a reasonable option. FWIW - I checked availability for those flights next week, and they are almost sold out. First was pretty much completely full.

That said, UA itself certainly seems to have little interest in SA. I fly from Colombia. They had 752's on the BOG-IAH and BOG-EWR flights for a short time, but now have gone back to 737's and 738's. Prices are 2X the competition. I am booking my late July/early August travel right now, and every option gives me much better pricing on AA.
I like COPA but six hours in that recliner seat LAX-PTY is my max. I do wish UA would keep the BF 752 on the BOG routes AND add some capacity SFO-IAH to make that a reasonable option for me.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by spin88
This is probably a major contribution, but it goes beyond this... UALs reputation is in the toilet,and lack of reliability is a large part of the problem. The "big hat, not cattle" set's decision to cross fleet and run sUA A/C from sCO airports without spares (crew and parts) not surprisingly resulted in terrible OT rates and huge numbers of cancellations. That UAs management did not see it coming is beyond me.
Given that PMUA was the industry leader in deferred maintenance, it's no surprise that the PMUA fleet dispatch rate is so much lower than the PMCO fleet. See also: 747 consolidation at SFO.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
Given that PMUA was the industry leader in deferred maintenance, it's no surprise that the PMUA fleet dispatch rate is so much lower than the PMCO fleet. See also: 747 consolidation at SFO.
pmUA took this into account, and didn't schedule their aircraft as aggressively as pmCO. When the HouCrew started right-sizing routes, they overlooked the spare parts not being where they needed to be, so the fault lies there, not with the pmUA management.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
the Brains of this airline have decided the way to make money is Cut CUT cUT... perhaps they should have instead have tried to SELL ta's and customers on flights to SA......
Years from now it will be very difficult to get the market back. Again JEFF seems to forget hes got to fly places to make money.
the fool cut the daily YYZ-SFO......
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by halls120
pmUA took this into account, and didn't schedule their aircraft as aggressively as pmCO. When the HouCrew started right-sizing routes, they overlooked the spare parts not being where they needed to be, so the fault lies there, not with the pmUA management.
Last I checked, the "our fleet sucks so we keep a lot of expensive spare parts around" is Allegiant's business model, not UA's. I, for one, am glad that PMCO's aggressive maintenance culture is being forced onto PMUA. Until that's fully ingrained, the crappy dispatch rates on PMUA equipment will continue.

Originally Posted by why fly
the fool cut the daily YYZ-SFO......
YYZ-SFO has been a deadman walking for ages. PMUA was flying that on an A319. You can't really downsize it anymore than that.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 14, 2013 at 3:53 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
Last I checked, the "our fleet sucks so we keep a lot of expensive spare parts around" is Allegiant's business model, not UA's. I, for one, am glad that PMCO's aggressive maintenance culture is being forced onto PMUA. Until that's fully ingrained, the crappy dispatch rates on PMUA equipment will continue.
I'm not defending what pmUA did, but the fact remains that when the HouCrew took over, they didn't handle the changeover well. They even admitted as such. So the blame for the poor dispatch rate falls on them.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:23 pm

Why do people keep saying HouCrew? Operations are run out of Chicago by a largely legacy United team.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fly18725
Why do people keep saying HouCrew? Operations are run out of Chicago by a largely legacy United team.
You haven't reviewed the Investor Relations site I'm guessing...last time I checked, 2/3 of the named Executive Team (roughly 25 in total) was PMCO, and less than 1/3 was PMUA (there are a few outsiders as well).
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why must every thread devolve into CO v. UA. Get over it guys, it's done.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why must every thread devolve into CO v. UA. Get over it guys, it's done.
Because until they actually are a complete combined airline with one workgroup it will be UA vs CO. It is far from done. They are still 2 very different airline just flying under one name and FF program.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Because until they actually are a complete combined airline with one workgroup it will be UA vs CO. It is far from done. They are still 2 very different airline just flying under one name and FF program.
Really? I just see a bunch of finger pointing as to who's at fault for decisions made in the past. Most of it rather ill informed.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Really? I just see a bunch of finger pointing as to who's at fault for decisions made in the past. Most of it rather ill informed.
That exists too... but UA is still pretty separate on all levels. When we went on the Operations tour in November, everything had a North (PMUA) and South (PMCO) component as they still maintain separate systems for everything from crew scheduling to flight operations.

I was more or less shocked to see how unintegrated they are ...
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by why fly
be careful AC low fares earn limited miles. 50% and 25%
Actually that's for earning in their own program. For United it's all or nothing. You earn full miles on everything except for Tango fares within Canada or transborder. The YYZ-SCL route is full miles in M+ for all fare classes.

I'm really sad to see TAM leaving *A. Given Brasil's economic importance, that was a really nice addition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.