Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: edcho
7/12/2013 @ 1:16 AM ET - Post 1 - An tweet noticed by penner42 in regards to "a new rewards experience" coming to MileagePlus members. Direct link for tweet post is here and for Facebook is here.
7/12/2013 @ 2:33 PM ET - Post 179 - An update by UA Insider telling us to hang tight.
Hi everyone,

Wanted to jump in here and let you know that we are indeed looking ahead to an announcement about new reward opportunities for MileagePlus members—over and above what you’ve seen already this week. I’ll ask that you sit tight for the next few days, but rest assured you can expect full details from me the minute we go live. And while I know you’ll give us honest feedback (as always), I do believe this is something to look forward to :-).

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Note: The Mercedes-Benz offer for Premier members is NOT related to this.
Print Wikipost

New rewards experience coming

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Im guessing top 5-10% for profit, perhaps - so nowhere near a best customer on that yardstick and not in the same sport as Tom, let alone league/ballpark.

Ive flown professionally since 1975, but joined FT in late 2012 - biz fliers are out making money, not puttering on internet forums.
Guess what? I am a biz flyer and I am puttering on internet forums...
Old Jul 14, 2013, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I think it will be something many people like, but some people detest, along the lines of the companion benefit for MMers.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Guess what? I am a biz flyer and I am puttering on internet forums...
+1. FT is valuable regardless of whether you're a biz flyer earning 1K or a personal traveler earning 1K (or other status). I still want to maximize my mileage awards, know what to expect when I'm flying to XXX / YYY, and understand the intricacies of UA / DL and other carriers. My introduction to FT was because I needed an answer to a question when I first started traveling for business full time and google led me to FT.

Staying OT, I am anxiously awaiting tomorrow's announcement. I already have one big time trip planned for next year that burns all my PTO so booking another right now isn't a realistic option so I've resorting to praying that Jeff et. al don't have a massive devaluation coming our way tomorrow.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Just to be contrarian to the overall tone of this forum - I wonder if UA will indicate that IN/RN/XN space will truly be saved for higher status elites like was promised some time ago. However, as we've seen, IN=I; RN=R; and XN=X space for the most part.

Maybe a possible benefit out of this announcement?????
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm betting it's just some new way to redeem miles for something other than flying at rates far less attractive than just buying the same item with cash.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Just to be contrarian to the overall tone of this forum - I wonder if UA will indicate that IN/RN/XN space will truly be saved for higher status elites like was promised some time ago. However, as we've seen, IN=I; RN=R; and XN=X space for the most part.

XN is all elites, not higher status ones. I have in my searches very often seen more XN space than X for domestic flights.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by penner42
XN is all elites, not higher status ones. I have in my searches very often seen more XN space than X for domestic flights.
OK fine - so it would just be RN/IN space.....
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I wonder if UA will indicate that IN/RN/XN space will truly be saved for higher status elites like was promised some time ago. However, as we've seen, IN=I; RN=R; and XN=X space for the most part.

R=RN 100% of the time. In fact afaik United doesn't promise greater upgrade availability for elites. The system just happens to make it possible to implement.

I disagree about I and X, though. Just this morning I saw a flight marked X0 XN7, and I see IN>N on a very regular basis.

But back to the speculation there's nothing in the tweet that refers to elites whatsoever... I guess it will be about one more lame way to redeem miles for a terrible value.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
If the original tweet that started this all is about creating "buzz". It has failed. I'm still very sober.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

???

XN is many times seen greater than X. I see it at least once everytime I'm looking in Expert Mode on a particular day/city pair.

RN is often seen times seen greater than R.

It is only IN that never seems to be greater than I.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
???

XN is many times seen greater than X. I see it at least once everytime I'm looking in Expert Mode on a particular day/city pair.

RN is often seen times seen greater than R.

It is only IN that never seems to be greater than I.
Never have seen RN > R. Am I just unlucky?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by boat9781
Never have seen RN > R. Am I just unlucky?
I'm in the same boat! I've also NEVER seen IN>I

I know we're heard of some examples but it's not widespread....and to a previous poster YES United had mentioned at the beginning of the merger about creating "improved" upgrade experiences for elites.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A link with Hyatt? In your dreams. More likely Motel 6.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 3:23 am

I get a feeling that a massive devaluation is on cards.... Hope I am wrong.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:01 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
So my guess is dynamic award pricing. Saver pricing will be replaced or supplemented with an infinite scale of award pricing that UA adjusts dynamically in order to increase yield and get us to spend more miles per award flight.

It will be marketed as:

1) Increased availability.

2) Some awards even cheaper than current Saver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.