Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can't believe how much better US Air Club is vs. UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member

In Charlotte today at US Club, fresh assortment of spiced olives, nice selection of cubed cheeses (cheddar, pepperjack, AND a tangy provolone), SOUP!, gourmet style chips. Why is the UC so sucky? I am sick to death of two boring cheese selections, nasty slimy carrots, and (is there anything else???).

How can UA offer such a substandard product?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by elitefreak
.... How can UA offer such a substandard product?
While much of this will quick go to personal preferences, I have been in the US CLT clubs frequently and I would rather the soup as a plus, everything else would be pretty much the same. Also I think the main club in CLT is a bit ahead of most of the other US PCs.

You ask what you missed with the UCs -- how about ceral,donut holes, ... in the morning and snack mix, fresh fruit, ... rest of the day. Is it a subsititute for a meal, no but substandard is a strong word for what IMO is pretty much as wash.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I am sick to death of two boring cheese selections, nasty slimy carrots, and (is there anything else???).
don't forget the hamster feeders of healthy snackfoods...
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:00 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
The UC is supposed to be "refreshing" their food options this year as part of an overall improvement to new clubs (like ORD and SEA) but I haven't seen the new food offerings yet.....

As to the US Club I've never been impressed but I wonder if they've recently improved their offerings to align better with AA Clubs?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have to say that I liked the US Club at CLT but I wasn't sure whether it was simply because it was different, and therefore more interesting. The food offerings were equally poor, with fake cheese at both, a meagre selection of unhealthy options at both and a very meagre selection of healthier options.

I don't like the decor at either club, being for me way too old-fashioned, but the US Club looked less tired than the UCs I normally visit.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I think it depends what UC vs. US Air Club you go to. For example I find the UC club at DCA to be better than the US Air Clubs at DCA, and having just been in the US Air club in the middle at DCA last week the food selection there was pretty atrocious. I also dislike the fact that the US Air clubs don't serve free liquor (even if the liquor served at UC is bottom shelf it's still liquor).
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I'm pretty sure the CLT US Club is the official departure club for LH and thus the upgraded food. I believe if you go in there in off-hours when there isn't an upcoming LH flight, you'll find it to be more standard US/UA offerings.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
I have been to the CLT club many times and it was always the same. The only variation at different times is the degree of crowding. This is a large club and it still gets crowded. It does not feel very upscale or exclusive. But then, I could say the same thing about many of the UA clubs.

One thing that I have noticed though has been the exceptional courtesy of the desk staff.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While much of this will quick go to personal preferences, I have been in the US CLT clubs frequently and I would rather the soup as a plus, everything else would be pretty much the same. Also I think the main club in CLT is a bit ahead of most of the other US PCs
+1

I think that a US flier would feel the same on entering the newly revamped ORD T2 UC and compared it to most US clubs.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
I'm pretty sure the CLT US Club is the official departure club for LH and thus the upgraded food. I believe if you go in there in off-hours when there isn't an upcoming LH flight, you'll find it to be more standard US/UA offerings.
The DEN UC are now the official departure clubs for LH, and I've never seen any upgraded food there. I will check again on Saturday.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:07 am

Wow. I've had the opposite experience. I found the USAir clubs (both) in Charlotte to be cramped, dark, and with particularly grim food. I'm going through Charlotte in a few weeks, and I might skip the club entirely.

The coffee is lousy in both, but the pmUA clubs have espresso machines (including the new club in Seattle.)

I also love most of the United Club staff in the places I go. Even though the C3 United Club was the usual zoo on Sunday night, Odette and Anthony (my favorites) were still there to welcome me, I still had somewhere to sit, and I know well enough not to drink the coffee.

The Alaska Airlines Board Room is actually my preferred location: kind staff, better (but not great) food, and much better coffee. But there aren't that many Board Rooms in existence, and I don't usually fly Alaska Airlines.

United needs a "refresh" of a lot of its food: United Clubs, some new first class entrees, and a dramatic overhaul of the pre-arrival service for transatlantic first and business class (Eastbound and Westbound.) But the first priority: get rid of FreshBrew/Kova! I love coffee, and I can't drink it! Make it stop! Has Smisek ever tasted it? Does he bring his own? Should I make a bunch of 3.5 ounce thermoses full of better coffee?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mats
the first priority: get rid of FreshBrew/Kova! I love coffee, and I can't drink it! Make it stop! Has Smisek ever tasted it? Does he bring his own? Should I make a bunch of 3.5 ounce thermoses full of better coffee?
SBux Via is your friend for UA flights
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:44 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Yes, I believe they only put out (i) the soup, (ii) the olives and (iii) the cheese in the afternoon, before the transatlantic departures.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
I also dislike the fact that the US Air clubs don't serve free liquor (even if the liquor served at UC is bottom shelf it's still liquor).
This. The selection of comped booze at US Airways is pretty bad -- Bud Light and mediocre wine. United might not be pouring artisinal bourbons, but at least you can get a decent gin & tonic or Negroni.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:51 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

CLT and PHL has the upgraded food for TATL departures... This was implemented when US axed the PHL Envoy lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.