Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Easier to visit top security prison camp than enter the US via United Airlines!

Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Just completed a nightmare trip (paid full fare First Class) back to IAD from YVR Canada.

Problems started the day before when I got an eMail inviting me to Check0In online. Tried to do so but their system said no online check-in possible, go to airport for check-in. This time, I did not even get a "this is not a Boarding Pass" coupon to print out, which is what I normally get when flying Internationally on United Airlines.

Next day, arrive at YVR airport, got to Premier line only to find at least 35 people queuing up to check-in. After about 25 minutes, got near enough to see there were only 2 kiosks for Premiers and, every now and then, a United rep pushed in with a passenger saying "this person is late and may miss their plane". Not sure why they had to do this at the Premier line.

Then, two elderly men arrived at one of the 2 Premier kiosks clutching a stack of passports. A United rep came over to assist and it quickly became obvious that this would block one of the kiosks for quite some time as they had to search for the PNR for each passenger from a stack of papers.

45 minutes after arriving at the airport, finally made it to the kiosk but after entering my PNR, the kiosk told me to see an airline rep for assistance. Moved past the kiosks to the real Check-In desks behind. There were two of them under bold Premier signs but only of them was manned!

The poor agent was asking each passenger who approached which kiosk they used "left or right" and then switched between the two terminals depending on the answer, tapped away on one of the computers to produce a baggage tag. Each one took at least 2 minutes.

I was finally able to hand in my passport and booking confirmation and the single agent tapped away at her SHARES screen to get me my boarding pass and baggage tags. Was then told to push my bags along the white line behind the Check-In counters. This turned out to be a long corridor with the start of another queue right at the other end of the terminal (United desks are on the left side). Got to the end of the line which was now full of passengers from all US destination arilines. The line moved slowly to the middle of the terminal where we had to show our boarding passes and then lift our own luggage over a high parapet and into a conveyor belt.

Next we moved to another hall to queue up again in two lines. One line was empty, so I assumed this was Premier access but an airport rep shouted :Only Nexus cardholders". Returned to the longer line and slowly moved along.

At this point, experienced a "DisneyLand" moment. Approaching a doorway, assumed this was the end of the line, only to enter an even bigger hall with a very long snake of people slowly shuffling on to the destination.

After about 25 minutes arrived at a check-point, had to show passport and then boarding pass was scanned and off we went to another hall, this one used for security checks. Again, all passengers mixed into one line, even Nexus cardholders!

Had to show boarding pass just to put my hand luggage and shoes onto the belt! Once through the metal detector, had to show boarding pass to retrieve my shoes and hand luggage!

Off to another enormous hall, described as Customs and Immigration. Long queue to reach a US Border Control agent. Handed over my passport and boarding pass, provided my fingerprints and had a photo taken. Interestingly, after all the prior security controls and metal detection, the Border Agent still found it necessary to wear a thick body armour vest and carry a pistol in a waist holster!

Finally, was then able to enter the airport terminal, airside.

Went to the duty-free shop to buy a small toy, Had to show my passport and boarding pass just to complete the purchase!

Proceeded to lounge, with just enough time for a drink and then, at 11:30 left for the actual Gate for a 12:02 scheduled departure. No indication of any delays but when I arrived at the Gate, but there were no United staff there!

There was a long queue of passengers forlonly waiting at the Gate for, as it turned out, seat assignments because when they Checked-In they were told that their seats would be assigned at the Gate.

Finally, at 11:52 a single United Gate Rep arrived, got hold of the microphone and announced that the flight to IAD was oversold by 27 and said that volunteers to take another flight on the next day would get $500. However, he then went away to let the two pilots and three fliight attendants to board the plane.

At around 12:10, another Gate Agent arrived to "help out" but the signs were still showing an "ontime departure" of 12:02.

Needless to say, there was now complete chaos near the Gate. At around 12:30 one of the two Gate agents announced boarding will commence and I was able to squeeze through to the Gate, only to have to show my passport again, along with my boarding pass!

Once on board, received a nice pre-flight drink and waited for further announcements which included, "waiting to load some late arriving baggage" and "now waiting to remove baggage for passengers who didn't get a seat".

Airplane finally pushed away at 13:15 even though the Flight Status shown on the United App still showed "ontime". Plane finally actually took off at 13:34.

Landed at IAD just about one hour late, at 21:01 but baggage only arrived on the belt at 21:46 making this a very lengthy delayed flight.

Had to show ID a total of seven (7) times just to get on a plane to the US. Is this a record?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Welcome to the land of the free!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: RVT 1K
Your thread title is almost correct, it should read US is a top security prison camp!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GrafShutka
Just completed a nightmare trip (paid full fare First Class) back to IAD from YVR Canada.
Finally, at 11:52 a single United Gate Rep arrived, got hold of the microphone and announced that the flight to IAD was oversold by 27 and said that volunteers to take another flight on the next day would get $500.

Was that cash or a voucher that they offered?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 8, 2013 at 6:52 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
So the UA complaint here is that the checkin process at YVR was a bit chaotic, and perhaps understaffed?

Given the thread title, and the content, it's easy to see why people complain about the hyperbole here. 99% of this post has nothing to do with UA.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Sadly, this sounds pretty much business as usual....

Welcome to the USA!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by star_world
So the UA complaint here is that the checkin process at YVR was a bit chaotic, and perhaps understaffed?

Given the thread title, and the content, it's easy to see why people complain about the hyperbole here. 99% of this post has nothing to do with UA.
LOL, in a post complaining about hyperbole, let's look at the claim that "99% of the post has nothing to do with UA."

United related test is in red.

Next day, arrive at YVR airport, got to Premier line only to find at least 35 people queuing up to check-in. After about 25 minutes, got near enough to see there were only 2 kiosks for Premiers and, every now and then, a United rep pushed in with a passenger saying "this person is late and may miss their plane". Not sure why they had to do this at the Premier line.

Then, two elderly men arrived at one of the 2 Premier kiosks clutching a stack of passports. A United rep came over to assist and it quickly became obvious that this would block one of the kiosks for quite some time as they had to search for the PNR for each passenger from a stack of papers.

45 minutes after arriving at the airport, finally made it to the kiosk but after entering my PNR, the kiosk told me to see an airline rep for assistance. Moved past the kiosks to the real Check-In desks behind. There were two of them under bold Premier signs but only of them was manned!

The poor agent was asking each passenger who approached which kiosk they used "left or right" and then switched between the two terminals depending on the answer, tapped away on one of the computers to produce a baggage tag. Each one took at least 2 minutes.

I was finally able to hand in my passport and booking confirmation and the single agent tapped away at her SHARES screen to get me my boarding pass and baggage tags. Was then told to push my bags along the white line behind the Check-In counters. This turned out to be a long corridor with the start of another queue right at the other end of the terminal (United desks are on the left side). Got to the end of the line which was now full of passengers from all US destination arilines. The line moved slowly to the middle of the terminal where we had to show our boarding passes and then lift our own luggage over a high parapet and into a conveyor belt.

Next we moved to another hall to queue up again in two lines. One line was empty, so I assumed this was Premier access but an airport rep shouted :Only Nexus cardholders". Returned to the longer line and slowly moved along.

At this point, experienced a "DisneyLand" moment. Approaching a doorway, assumed this was the end of the line, only to enter an even bigger hall with a very long snake of people slowly shuffling on to the destination.

After about 25 minutes arrived at a check-point, had to show passport and then boarding pass was scanned and off we went to another hall, this one used for security checks. Again, all passengers mixed into one line, even Nexus cardholders!

Had to show boarding pass just to put my hand luggage and shoes onto the belt! Once through the metal detector, had to show boarding pass to retrieve my shoes and hand luggage!

Off to another enormous hall, described as Customs and Immigration. Long queue to reach a US Border Control agent. Handed over my passport and boarding pass, provided my fingerprints and had a photo taken. Interestingly, after all the prior security controls and metal detection, the Border Agent still found it necessary to wear a thick body armour vest and carry a pistol in a waist holster!

Finally, was then able to enter the airport terminal, airside.

Went to the duty-free shop to buy a small toy, Had to show my passport and boarding pass just to complete the purchase!

Proceeded to lounge, with just enough time for a drink and then, at 11:30 left for the actual Gate for a 12:02 scheduled departure. No indication of any delays but when I arrived at the Gate, but there were no United staff there!

There was a long queue of passengers forlonly waiting at the Gate for, as it turned out, seat assignments because when they Checked-In they were told that their seats would be assigned at the Gate.

Finally, at 11:52 a single United Gate Rep arrived, got hold of the microphone and announced that the flight to IAD was oversold by 27 and said that volunteers to take another flight on the next day would get $500. However, he then went away to let the two pilots and three fliight attendants to board the plane.

At around 12:10, another Gate Agent arrived to "help out" but the signs were still showing an "ontime departure" of 12:02.

Needless to say, there was now complete chaos near the Gate. At around 12:30 one of the two Gate agents announced boarding will commence and I was able to squeeze through to the Gate, only to have to show my passport again, along with my boarding pass!

Once on board, received a nice pre-flight drink and waited for further announcements which included, "waiting to load some late arriving baggage" and "now waiting to remove baggage for passengers who didn't get a seat".

Airplane finally pushed away at 13:15 even though the Flight Status shown on the United App still showed "ontime". Plane finally actually took off at 13:34.

Landed at IAD just about one hour late, at 21:01 but baggage only arrived on the belt at 21:46 making this a very lengthy delayed flight
99% of the post has nothing to do with United?

Physician, heal thyself.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
Sadly, this sounds pretty much business as usual....

Welcome to the USA!
Given that the OP said they were flying YVR-IAD, that should probably read "Canada" instead of "USA" (underscored by the Nexus-only lines).

Still, other than the understaffed check-in area, there's precious little any one airline can do about the inefficiencies of an individual airport's screening processes.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
OP, much of what you reported is the hassle of leaving Canada for the US. I just flew from YUL and the number of steps through security, customs, and immigration was just astonishing. Fortunately the lines were manageable and I was able to circumvent the long immigration line using Global Entry. I think my boarding pass was scanned 7 or 8 times from the time my bag was checked until I finally boarded the flight.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
That's pretty normal at YVR
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

I have no personal experience of high-security prison camps, but I imagine it is easier to enter one than to exit.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag

I have no personal experience of high-security prison camps, but I imagine it is easier to enter one than to exit.
Should I cue the music to Hotel California? This seems pretty standard for Canada to US travel. Used to be YUL based, and as another poster mentioned, the process can be equally as painful.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:28 am

Given that you have only 6 posts, I assume you are new here? If you hang out a bit more, and take a few more trips, you'll quickly learn that everything about your experience is typical. It certainly was not worth all the words you wrote.

Check-in process with the "new UA" has been horrible since 3/3/12, when it was Continentified.

YVR is a horrible airport and my experience flying from CA to US involves the same insanity at all airports I've started at (this includes YVR, YYZ, and YUL).

Read some threads. Take a few more flights. You'll soon learn that this is how it is.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
OP, much of what you reported is the hassle of leaving Canada for the US. I just flew from YUL and the number of steps through security, customs, and immigration was just astonishing. Fortunately the lines were manageable and I was able to circumvent the long immigration line using Global Entry. I think my boarding pass was scanned 7 or 8 times from the time my bag was checked until I finally boarded the flight.
Coming back from YBQ (Quebec City), had multiple checks but I don't recall it being onerous. Much smaller airport (and no pre-clearance), so short security line, but then got SSSS, which I haven't had in years. The security agents were very pleasant while giving me a massage and full bag search. Having to go through the long immigration line at EWR (had Mrs. tarheelnj with me, so no GE) was a much worse experience.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
A very well-written, high school-level trip report. Very good observation skills.

Travel a little bit more, and you'd realize that much of this has nothing to do with UA, and very ordinary for YVR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.