Wiki Posts
Search

Self-Service United Club Entry ORD C16

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member

Looks like they are testing a self-service entry scheme at the C16 United Club at ORD. It is only for UC members or premier / *G travelers on an international itinerary (no one-time passes, no guests, etc). It's just a scanner on which you scan your own mobile boarding pass, paper boarding pass, or swipe your card. The scanner gives you and the agent the green light and you have to wait for the agent to look up, see the approval, and wave you in.

It's not 100% automated like the self-service boarding (with a gate and such) but it will definitely speed things up by separating the quick entry folks from the "full service" folks. When I was there today the agents both liked it.

I did not take photos since its right by the agents and I thought it would be creepy. I hope they roll this out to all the hub clubs.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:40 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kenn0223
Looks like they are testing a self-service entry scheme at the C16 United Club at ORD............
Nice, hope it works well enough to stay around and expand. It's been awhile since I used my United Club card for entry, I'm guessing that photo ID is still required when using the card instead of a BP?

DEN
Old Jul 7, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Hopefully this will help when the entry line for the larger clubs stretches out into the concourse. I'm always amazed at how much time it takes two UC agents to process customers when somehow my entry approval takes about 4 seconds.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Hopefully this will help when the entry line for the larger clubs stretches out into the concourse. I'm always amazed at how much time it takes two UC agents to process customers when somehow my entry approval takes about 4 seconds.
it's the same thing that happens to me when i check in at a counter. i never spend more than 30 seconds but somehow everyone else in the terminal always seems to have complex issues.

also the same with the bank. and train ticket kiosks. UC's definitely too. although i remember checking in at the JFK one not too long ago and they just scanned my BP into a machine that looked a lot like the pre-check machine for the triple beep, and the check in process took a second.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
+1 the slow line is caused by club crashers and people who are genuinely confused about the admission rules. I have literally stood in line for 10 minutes (@LAX T7) when multiple parties repeatedly tied up both credential lines, and the lounge dragons looking past them at the growing out the door line of people with an apologetic look on their face.

If the TSA can execute on Pre-check, and Customs on Global Entry, then instituting expedited UC access should be doable. And if there are any hiccups United can always check and see how the Delta Sky Clubs are doing it...

SunLover
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Would be cool for them to add premium cabins and then bar codes on the one-time passes. That would really speed things up

Edit: BAR codes. Though I guess adding bra codes would be cool as well
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by SunLover
+1 the slow line is caused by club crashers and people who are genuinely confused about the admission rules.
Sometimes it's the lounge dragons who are legitimately confused about admission rules themselves.

Super annoying
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
For those of us banking miles with UA, but using a foreign *G card for access, wondering we will be able to just swipe the *G card?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:14 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
The ORD club that I used 2 weeks ago was doing this, and I was delighted (although too jet-lagged to post anything about it). The line wasn't all that long, but I still liked being able to bypass it entirely and cruise in.

So, in all honesty, this is a change I like. They're kind of sparse, but they're there.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by bsb21
For those of us banking miles with UA, but using a foreign *G card for access, wondering we will be able to just swipe the *G card?
? +1
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:43 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
It's not 100% automated like the self-service boarding (with a gate and such) but it will definitely speed things up by separating the quick entry folks from the "full service" folks. When I was there today the agents both liked it.
I think the check-in agents liked the EasyCheckin kiosks also..until the agents started getting laid off en masse and replaced by the robots.

Originally Posted by QBK
The ORD club that I used 2 weeks ago was doing this, and I was delighted (although too jet-lagged to post anything about it). The line wasn't all that long, but I still liked being able to bypass it entirely and cruise in.

So, in all honesty, this is a change I like. They're kind of sparse, but they're there.
The lines will be just as long after some of the receptionists are fired once the robots are fully up and running.

UA uses expensive technology to cut long-run costs, not to improve service.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

If they can make them like the automated gates at the TK lounge at IST, that would be great. There, you scan the BP and a gate opens allowing access if you are eligible. Agents at the desk can also let you in if need be.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by DEN
....I'm guessing that photo ID is still required when using the card instead of a BP?
I don't think an ID is required since I don't think the agents really see what you're using to access (the reader is angled such that it is hard for them to see). It think they just look for the green light on their side and wave you in.

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
..... a machine that looked a lot like the pre-check machine for the triple beep, and the check in process took a second.
Yes, same type of machine but with a magnetic stripe reader on the bottom.

Originally Posted by astroflyer
Sometimes it's the lounge dragons who are legitimately confused about admission rules themselves.

Super annoying
I actually like the idea that the machine just give a red or green light...if you can manage to get the machine to give you a green light...in you go.

I hate when the dragons try to argue with their computers. I've watched them scan my B, get my info (including a big green checkmark) on their screen, and then question if I'm traveling internationally. If the computer says I can come in...no questions please!
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
I hate when the dragons try to argue with their computers. I've watched them scan my B, get my info (including a big green checkmark) on their screen, and then question if I'm traveling internationally. If the computer says I can come in...no questions please!
+1

Usually see this when getting off an international flight and connecting to a domestic.

Dragon scans a domestic boarding pass, gets the green light, and then asks if I just got off an international flight.

Apparently, a lot of people are looking to stock up on baby carrots!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
UC Club member AND *G on intl itinerary. Didn't work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.