Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Wanted to book Avianca LIM-CUZ / JUL-LIM through United in order to earn PQD. I called the Premier desk asked the agent if possible and was rebuffed and given an explanation that it was bad business for United and for the consumer.

Anyhow, I searched for these flights on award travel and was able to select the option to pay cash instead of using miles (price was about $25 more than Avianca so worth it) and everything seems to have ticketed just fine on 016 stock. So it seems that it is possible through a backdoor route.

Last edited by smxflyer; Apr 3, 2014 at 10:04 am
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by smxflyer
Wanted to book Avianca LIM-CUZ / JUL-LIM through United in order to earn PQD. I called the Premier desk asked the agent if possible and was rebuffed and given an explanation that it was bad business for United and for the consumer.

Anyhow, I searched for these flights on award travel and was able to select the option to pay cash instead of using miles (price was about $25 more than Avianca so worth it) and everything seems to have ticketed just fine on 016 stock. So it seems that it is possible through a backdoor route.
Yes this method is regularly used to book on AV.

I changed one of these AV tickets through UA by phone this weekend. The UA agent was absolutely shocked that a discount AV economy fare (P class) had only a $25 change fee. (They are also refundable for a fee of only $35.) The change process went smoothly once the agent accepted that the change fee was really only $25.

I really like AV. Just pray for no IRROPs . . . .
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes this method is regularly used to book on AV.

I changed one of these AV tickets through UA by phone this weekend. The UA agent was absolutely shocked that a discount AV economy fare (P class) had only a $25 change fee. (They are also refundable for a fee of only $35.) The change process went smoothly once the agent accepted that the change fee was really only $25.

I really like AV. Just pray for no IRROPs . . . .
The agent did say there could be a lot of trouble if IRROPs do occur as part of her lecture. In that contingency is AV not responsible for rebooking? I assume it is similar to booking a ticket through Orbitz or Expedia where you go back to them to have you rebooked.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by username
If one has a 016 ticket on other airlines, does it add any complication when you run into irregularity?

My company has UA as the preferred carrier, yet our AMEX agent tickets on different ticket stocks - even say you do UA on the outbound and someone else on the return (and you pay 2 ticketing fees + 2 change fees). There is no way to tell AMEX to issue 016 tickets, right?

Thanks.
In general most independent travel agents will assign the ticket to the first carrier or majority operating carrier. In spite of this it is possible and to me preferable to have ua ticket it on 016 stock - with one exception - once you start your first flight it's Nearly impossible to change - so be careful how you ticket as ua can only do so much once you begin travel....
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by smxflyer
The agent did say there could be a lot of trouble if IRROPs do occur as part of her lecture. In that contingency is AV not responsible for rebooking? I assume it is similar to booking a ticket through Orbitz or Expedia where you go back to them to have you rebooked.
AV is responsible in case of IRROPs. That's really the issue, not the ticket stock. The latin carriers don't handle IRROPs so well. It's a risk of travel in that part of the world.

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
once you start your first flight it's Nearly impossible to change - so be careful how you ticket as ua can only do so much once you begin travel....
I was able this weekend to change the return leg of a RT (after commencing travel) with shocking ease. It was a simple change though (same routing, different day).
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:48 am

AV is responsible in case of IRROPs. That's really the issue, not the ticket stock. The latin carriers don't handle IRROPs so well. It's a risk of travel in that part of the world.

I was able this weekend to change the return leg of a RT (after commencing travel) with shocking ease. It was a simple change though (same routing, different day).
Well then you are better than I am - this week I tried to change an ana business class flight from 2pm to 8am - same city pairs and day - ana said no even though same fare class was available on same day... All because I booked on 016 stock....
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Well then you are better than I am - this week I tried to change an ana business class flight from 2pm to 8am - same city pairs and day - ana said no even though same fare class was available on same day... All because I booked on 016 stock....
I assume you are referring to a change before day of travel, correct? If so, if you booked through UA (016 stock) then of course ANA won't change it. They don't have control of the ticket. Technically, they might be able to take control but probably didn't want it to mess things up. If people want to find ways to book through UA on 016 tickets, that's perfectly fine, just don't expect anyone other than UA to make changes.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I assume you are referring to a change before day of travel, correct? If so, if you booked through UA (016 stock) then of course ANA won't change it. They don't have control of the ticket. Technically, they might be able to take control but probably didn't want it to mess things up. If people want to find ways to book through UA on 016 tickets, that's perfectly fine, just don't expect anyone other than UA to make changes.
No - what I meant was that ANA would not allow UA to change it. Even though same class of service and fare basis was available on earlier flight once I started the journey (2 of three flights were flown) the ANA rules stated no changes possible - including switching flights. ANA was two of the three flights (Air China in the middle). ANA wouldn't even let me stand by for the earlier flight... ANA did let me change it in advance without a fee - but once first flight was flown I was locked in....
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:41 pm

+1
I changed through UA. It was 36 hours prior to scheduled travel, and I moved flight up a day to within 12 hours.

I would only try to change through operating carrier at the airport.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will UA issue tickets on partner airlines if no UA/*A flight on itinerary?

Thanks for explaining - I didn't get that from your other post.

I'm confused why this issue has anything to do with 016 stock or UA issued tickets or not. Sounds like you were simply being held to the fare rules of the ticket you bought. That's why I always read the change/cancel rules before I buy a ticket with anyone. Don't want a flight thus doesn't meet needs.

Haven't had a situation yet where I've had to make a decision on buying a completely non-cancelable ticket yet (even with a fee) but that's something I'm just not comfortable with, unless the discount is so great that it's worth a throw away. Even if I'm not expecting it, you never know. I know SQ has those kind of fares.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:31 am

Thanks for explaining - I didn't get that from your other post.

I'm confused why this issue has anything to do with 016 stock or UA issued tickets or not. Sounds like you were simply being held to the fare rules of the ticket you bought. That's why I always read the change/cancel rules before I buy a ticket with anyone. Don't want a flight thus doesn't meet needs.

Haven't had a situation yet where I've had to make a decision on buying a completely non-cancelable ticket yet (even with a fee) but that's something I'm just not comfortable with, unless the discount is so great that it's worth a throw away. Even if I'm not expecting it, you never know. I know SQ has those kind of fares.
I think you've confused my situation with bmwe92fan's. He tried to change an NH ticket on 016 stock by calling NH and could not. I successfully changed an AV ticket on 016 stock by calling UA.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you've confused my situation with bmwe92fan's. He tried to change an NH ticket on 016 stock by calling NH and could not. I successfully changed an AV ticket on 016 stock by calling UA.
Looks like I have - I'm just getting confused today. Glad its the end of the week.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:25 am

Glad its the end of the week.
^
Old May 30, 2014, 7:22 pm

United's website allows all non-UA flight regular bookings now...

Just booked a flight for August on .bomb from MAN to VCE on LH. I checked the cost on other sites and decided to see what .bomb would do.... Surprisingly it pulled up the exact LH flights I wanted (via FRA) and allowed me to purchase for the same price as Expedia / Kayak and then issues me ticket on 016 stock. In the past I thought the only way to do this was via award booking - I guess .bomb is getting a little .better!
Old May 30, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME, its only on some routes that it will do this. I think some routes into Scandanavia on SAS (that was burried in another thread somewhere). And I was able to get the site to bring up YYZ-YUL flights on AC. But I've definitely looked up other international routes and getting the there are no flights between these two cities, even when there is a non-stop *A flight serving the route. In short, it depends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.