Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by mduell
In another thread I was told to use a TA who can plate it on 016.
Ok that would significantly improve my quality of life. Hopefully Carlson wagonlit can finally do something useful for me.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Rotus12
Has anyone discovered how to book ANA or EVA premium economy from LAX/SFO to HKG and still get the PQD and PQM for united?
Try building your trip on google.com/flights and see if it gives you a link to purchase on united.com.

Also, a decent UA phone agent should be able to do it for you. You'll likely need to cough up the full booking codes and flight numbers. Despite what some agents may say, UA can ticket anything so long they have ticketing agreements with all the carriers (i.e. they could ticket a DL flight all by itself and it would be on 016 stock).
Old May 25, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: DL,EK
Book TAP on united.com

I am trying to book PRG-LIS-CAS on TAP using United's site. Why aren't these flights showing up and is there any way to do so... so that it is ticketed on 016 stock for miles?

Thanks,

DN
Old May 25, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I am trying to book PRG-LIS-CAS on TAP using United's site. Why aren't these flights showing up and is there any way to do so... so that it is ticketed on 016 stock for miles?
Try award search, or use the ITA/hipmunk greasemonkey script.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Try award search, or use the ITA/hipmunk greasemonkey script.
trying hipmunk in the past couple of months has been more miss than hit ... looks like less and less ITA commands work
Worth a shot as well as google flights.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
trying hipmunk in the past couple of months has been more miss than hit ... looks like less and less ITA commands work
Worth a shot as well as google flights.
Use ITA for the search and then the greasemoney script just to get the hipmunk URL for the same flights (instead of manually constructing it) that lets you book on UA.sux.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Use ITA for the search and then the greasemoney script just to get the hipmunk URL for the same flights (instead of manually constructing it) that lets you book on UA.sux.
I'll try next time I need a complicated ticket again, but it has been difficult to say the least. Hipmunk used to be great also for mixed cabin itineraries and those don't work anymore either.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:43 pm
Suspended

thai one way revenue ticket on 016 stock?

i'm trying to book a one way ticket operated by thai on 016 stock. reservatiosn says they can only book itineraries with at least one segment operated by united. the app will sell me a ticket that has no segments operated by ua, but not the routing i want. suggestions?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:10 pm

I've been wondering about exactly this since the M+ changes that drive one to put *A flights onto 016 ticket stock. Does anyone who does ticketing for a living know if the "at least one UA segment" has to be segment #1, or if it has to be international? Otherwise, could one simply book a second segment in a refundable point to point fare, and cash it back after the *A segment credits to M+? Or even make segment 2 a very cheap fare that one simply gives up unflown, in return for the much large M+ benefit of having the 016 ticket for the long leg? For example, on arrival from Asia, one could use SFO-LAS in L for $60.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
thai one way revenue ticket on 016 stock?

Pretty sure any TG segments booked through UA will book into Y class only (I.e. - full fare economy - not discount). Like many Asian carriers, Thai limits many discount fares to its own stock only, and/or has geographical-based discrimination which makes fares purchased ex-US, for example, on Y fares.

For example, when I was based in BOM and looked at doing intra-Asia travel, I almost always checked US-based OTAs to see if there was a better deal there. Everything TG showed up was at full Y on Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.

That said, I've found the beta site (which I think uses the same back-end as the app, which is different than the regular site) shows routings that would never show up in the legacy UA site. I've definitely seen SQ show up in a revenue search, but never seen that before he beta site. Again, I've only seen the full-fares - but that is an 016 option.

Other option is to search for an award ticket, and if available on the date you want to go, you can select it as an award, and during the process. It will give you an offer to buy for $ instead and will show the price. But again, for TG, only seen the full-fare options.

As for specifying routings, you can always try a multi-city search instead of one way. So instead of looking, for example, KUL-SIN, look at KUL-BKK-SIN if you want TG.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
That said, I've found the beta site (which I think uses the same back-end as the app, which is different than the regular site) shows routings that would never show up in the legacy UA site. I've definitely seen SQ show up in a revenue search, but never seen that before he beta site. Again, I've only seen the full-fares - but that is an 016 option.

Other option is to search for an award ticket, and if available on the date you want to go, you can select it as an award, and during the process. It will give you an offer to buy for $ instead and will show the price. But again, for TG, only seen the full-fare options.
Yup. Beta site shows TG and SQ only segments, no UA flight necessary, but they're all full Y.

I also suspect this is a carrier plating or point of sale restriction. I've been able to book discount AV fares (AV-only itinerary) through the UA site, so it's not like UA will only sell full Y fares on other carriers.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by Starman
I've been wondering about exactly this since the M+ changes that drive one to put *A flights onto 016 ticket stock. Does anyone who does ticketing for a living know if the "at least one UA segment" has to be segment #1, or if it has to be international? Otherwise, could one simply book a second segment in a refundable point to point fare, and cash it back after the *A segment credits to M+? Or even make segment 2 a very cheap fare that one simply gives up unflown, in return for the much large M+ benefit of having the 016 ticket for the long leg? For example, on arrival from Asia, one could use SFO-LAS in L for $60.
I've booked many itineraries plated on UA with no UA segment. Several of them were on booked united.com. I've booked an all TK, an all LH and an all SK itinerary, all on united.com without talking to anyone.

However, it is possible that airlines like SQ and TG do not allow this (SQ for one has many fares where you have to ticket on SQ - this includes premium class fares).

I've also booked a RTW with no UA segments on UA ticket stock. However, I had to HUACA - there are agents that believe that it is not allowed when it actually is.

Last edited by c1mth0g; Aug 13, 2015 at 7:09 pm
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I'm running shy of PQDs to attain Gold (will be about $500-$600 shy) and will be in a part of the world not served by United (SE Asia). Is there any way to get PQDs? Can I book Thai Airways (or another *A carrier) via the United website? A cursory search brought up no bookable flights.

Any other ideas? I could mileage run out of BKK or HKG anyplace but would only do this if I could earn PQDs somehow.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:02 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I'm running shy of PQDs to attain Gold (will be about $500-$600 shy) and will be in a part of the world not served by United (SE Asia). Is there any way to get PQDs? Can I book Thai Airways (or another *A carrier) via the United website? A cursory search brought up no bookable flights.

Any other ideas? I could mileage run out of BKK or HKG anyplace but would only do this if I could earn PQDs somehow.
You can just plate a TG flight on 016 stock (use united.com to book it, or call an agent), and it'll earn PQD, depending on the fare rules here: https://www.united.com/cms/en-us/mar...spx?itemid=305
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SeoxyS
You can just plate a TG flight on 016 stock (use united.com to book it, or call an agent), and it'll earn PQD, depending on the fare rules here: https://www.united.com/cms/en-us/mar...spx?itemid=305
But when I go to United.com to book a flight on TG (e.g., BKK to HKG) no flights are found. How do I find bookable flights/routes on United?

If I don't fly direct (and instead fly United to NRT and then another *A airline (ANA?) to HKG or BKK) and book on United, will this count towards PQD? I think the flight must be marketed as UA (which it is). How can I be sure before booking... can I see 016 ticket stock someplace before booking?

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Oct 13, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.