Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Kind of Funny Business is SHARES up to Now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

The last three days, when I login to my UA account, I am taken to this reservation page.

Anyone have any idea what this might be? I can assure you while I have several reservations in my account, I'm not going to Alaska anytime soon.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: United Gold
I think that's a fake flight FAK-FLT
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Congrats, you've been selected by United to fly on a CIA chartered Rendition Flight...
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Congrats, you've been selected by United to fly on a CIA chartered Rendition Flight...
Operated by one of the 767s parked across from the terminal @ IAD..
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
The aircraft is list as "Corporate Aircraft". is that a pseudonym for "Company" aircraft??
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
How did you know they're actually there? They're invisible. I know that because my friends fly them, they disappear.

FAB
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Its Smisek's new way of thanking the UA MMers. My LAX-BAH reservation booked for Feb, has this after the last segment to LAX. No idea what is up, perhaps a preflight NYE party??

Tue., Dec. 31, 2013 | to
Depart:
11:00 a.m.
Tue., Dec. 31, 2013

Arrive:
2:00 p.m.
Tue., Dec. 31, 2013
Travel Time:
3 hr 0 mn
Distance:

Flight:UA9998
Operated by Brussels Airlines.
Fare Class: Economy (Y)
Meal: None
No Special Meal Offered.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Over entitled elites will no longer be an issue after these charter flights...
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Is there a PNR to this reservation? If so, is it one that was used on a flight you just took? Did you complain, have issues, were unruly? (I'm making you paranoid ). You mentioned it showed up three days ago - by chance did you finish the last "coupon" of a ticket?

PNRs go away 5-7 days after an itinerary is completed. In some cases, where the airline wants to extend your PNR for any given reason (you were a no-show, special cases, you're being "tracked", etc.) the airline places a retention element into your reservation. In other words, someone physically added this to your reservation. It could be a glitch but it would be a huge glitch.

This "retention element" is the placement of an entire segment with a fake flight number, almost always with the code "ZZ" for the airline ("ZZ" doesn't exist), and then a generic flight number 1000, 1100, 1234, etc. with a strange routing that typically doesn't exist. What's odd is that it's not easy to do and it takes time to put in the flight number, the city pairs (to make sure it doesn't exist), and a/c type. Our fellow FTer got it right: "FAK-FLT" or "Fake-Flight". This was definitely meant to hold one of your PNRs.

Also odd is that you, the passenger, should not be seeing this, so whoever did this removed the "veil" and it's showing where you can see it on-line.

Big Brother is tagging you...

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Jul 3, 2013 at 11:46 pm
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The aircraft is list as "Corporate Aircraft". is that a pseudonym for "Company" aircraft??
I'm not sure we want to find out
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:05 am

I have been suckered in to spending 12,000 miles for an upgrade from Flat Island to Fake Island. Totally not worth it.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I think most frequent flyers would be OK with that as long as they got the miles - at the end of the day, it's got a lot in common with a mileage run... the problem would be with it being a charter.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:09 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
UrbaneGent is probably spot on.

My own professional experience is as an AAgent on Sabre 20 years ago. A bit outdated, but so are the CRS systems for all airlines

In my days, a PNR would go to micro-fiche 3 days after the date of the last segment. I would hope that in today's world we're still not talking about micro-fiche, but the concept is the same. Bottom line, the PNR isn't available for on-line access 3 days after completion.

AA maintained, in the production environment, several "fake" flights.
The flight numbers were typically in the 55xx range. The cities they "stopped at" were typically HDQ (headquaters), GSW (Greater Southwest International ... a Ft Worth airport whose location today is located very close to DFW ... to the point that Amon Carter Blvd is the old runway ... and is now used as the location of the AA Flight Training Academy), SRO (Southern Res Office, located across the street from GSW) and a few other "cities". Some of these fake flights also "operated" to/from DFW or LAX.

The original intent of these fake flights between fake cities was for training.
Over the years, they developed other purposes.
Long before "internet" and "email" were household words, these fake flights were used for email type communications between AAgents.
IE: DFW Gate Agents would use (hypothetically .. I don't remember the specifics) flight number 5594 on Jan01 from HDQ to LAX
I could display my "email" with the entry: *5594/01JANHDQ-STEVE64
The above entry was if I didn't know my PNR/confirmation number. If you did know the PNR#, the entry was simply *ABC123 (where ABC123 was the PNR #)
Off topic, but in my AAgent days (before the internet and e-tickets) when passengers asked for a "confirmation number" we would tell them it's "any flight number, past or present, followed by the date of that flight and your last name". That remains true today, but now that the airlines have trained the passengers to think in terms of a "confirmation number", agents now give out the PNR#.

Another use of fake flights is just as UrbaneGent said.
If I'm researching a complaint you had on a flight today, I might add a segment to your PNR for flight 55xx on Dec31 from DFW to GSW. Your PNR now remains active in the mainframe (Sabre/Shares/whatever) computer for immediate access until Dec31+3 days.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by steve64
In my days, a PNR would go to micro-fiche 3 days after the date of the last segment. I would hope that in today's world we're still not talking about micro-fiche, but the concept is the same.
I dunno, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if microfiche were an integrated part of the SHARES platform.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 3:11 am

There's a story of a airline system migration where a PNR broke the test migration.

On investigation, it was 10,000 lines long, and was being used (via the comments) by two agents in two different offices as messaging for their relationship...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.