Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is United Flight #1?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat

Pre Merger, the Flight 1's were ORD-HNL for pmUA and IAH-HNL-GUM for pmCO. Then post merger, Flight 1 was IAH-HNL for a while, then when that route went to a pmUA 777, Flight 1 disappeared.

Didn't it come back briefly for the first dreamliner flight IAH-ORD when they resumed? Why did it disappear again?

Why does UA now not bother with a Flight 1?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
It's all over the place once recently it was MCO-DEN then it's IAH-HNL now it just doesn't exist. Very sad.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL1/history

IAH-HNL when that's on sCO metal. It was also used as a one-off designation for the 787 re-inaugural IAH-ORD. SEA-DEN-IAH and PHX-DEN-IAH have also been popular for it in recent months.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I don't show flt #1 or 2 operating all weekend. As pointed out in other posts sometimes flight numbers change during different days of the week.

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Jul 4, 2013 at 4:00 pm
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Time to restore Flight 1 to ORD-HNL.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Time to restore Flight 1 to ORD-HNL.
The only way that will ever happen is if they put an sCO aircraft on that route and that probably will never happen.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The only way that will ever happen is if they put an sCO aircraft on that route and that probably will never happen.
or the sCO/sUA finally goes away.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:50 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.755 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
or the sCO/sUA finally goes away.
Yup, hopefully at some point soon.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

or make an exception, which seems reasonable to me.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:39 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.755 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Reasonable how? How does it matter to anyone in the real world? And, other than that UA did it for some time how is ORD-HNL actually a special route? It doesn't connect business centers. It isn't the longest route. It holds no special value.

Certainly not enough to mess with the flight number assignments which have a real opperational impact on the company.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12

Reasonable how? How does it matter to anyone in the real world? And, other than that UA did it for some time how is ORD-HNL actually a special route? It doesn't connect business centers. It isn't the longest route. It holds no special value.

Certainly not enough to mess with the flight number assignments which have a real opperational impact on the company.
Yes, I'm sure giving ORD-HNL-ORD flight 1 and 2 status will totally disrupt the whole company's operations...

The special value is that prior to the CO takeover, ORD-HNL had been flight 1 since the abandonment of UA1's RTW service. That matters to people like me and apparently many others, even if you think it shouldn't.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:37 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!

I opted out of HNL-ORD the other day to go lie flat on HNL-IAD with an RPU. The 764 was a great ride! The 777 on the other Hawaii routes are getting a tad dated. Maybe the new 2 cabin Hawaii configs will be okay. If they brought back Flight 1, hope to at least get lie flat.

I did notice they took out the lie flat 764 out of HNL-IAH. Some love to IAD at least! Hope it keeps going!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
UA should think about reintroducing UA1 and UA2 as RTW service (don't flame me!). I know these are different times, but my uncle flew for Pan American back in the day. Near the end of his career he had enough seniority to fly Pan Am 1 one month and Pan Am 2 the next. He got all of his flying hours done in one 10 day trip.

FYI, my uncle flew SFO-HNL on December 7, 1941 (Clipper Ship back then). They landed in Pearl Harbor, refueled and headed back to SFO all within about 30 minutes. He always told me it was a miracle they weren't shot down coming into Pearl.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:23 pm

UA got to keep it's 8xx & 9xx international #s, so therefore CO got to keep it's intl flights in the low number range (1-199).
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12

Yes, I'm sure giving ORD-HNL-ORD flight 1 and 2 status will totally disrupt the whole company's operations...

The special value is that prior to the CO takeover, ORD-HNL had been flight 1 since the abandonment of UA1's RTW service. That matters to people like me and apparently many others, even if you think it shouldn't.
Added complexity in the system is added complexity. If it isn't actually making things better operationally that's of no value.

There are lots of things that existed 3 years ago on both companies. Getting hung up on them and pretending they matter doesn't do much good in the real world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.