Global First in cabin luggage storage

Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
Global First in cabin luggage storage

Hi all,
New to the United Forum. Booked SFO-LHR (747) and LHR-LAX (777) in Global First.
When looking at the seat maps on SeatGuru it says no overhead and no floor storage in the 747. Dumb question coming.........Where do you put your carry-on bag(s)?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by tpatta
Hi all,
New to the United Forum. Booked SFO-LHR (747) and LHR-LAX (777) in Global First.
When looking at the seat maps on SeatGuru it says no overhead and no floor storage in the 747. Dumb question coming.........Where do you put your carry-on bag(s)?
The 747 has smallish bins but definitely enough to fit a carry on roller in any bin from row 2 back. The 777 has regular bins. There is no floor storage but small bins on the side of the seat. Enjoy
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
777 will be no problem. Yes, there is no storage of bags at your seat, but plenty of bin space above.

On 747, there really is very limited storage. First Class passengers on 747 typically have to fight for the very limited space, To make it worse, the flight attendants tend to hog all the space before the F passengers come aboard, and will admonish you if you try to store stuff in 'their' space. All I can say is get on early as possible or you will have to schlep your bags back into business class to store them. Happened to me several times.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply. Lousy storage options, but the seats look great.
Wife and I have 4C and 4H on the 747.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Thanks for the quick reply. Lousy storage options, but the seats look great.
Wife and I have 4C and 4H on the 747.
Well, being a bit further back, you will probably be able to get space in overhead bins if you board early. I always sit in Row 1 or 2, and since Row 1 has no overhead space, the space fight can get ugly. But with that said, and not wanting to turn this into a seat selection thread, I would recommend you consider 1A/K as your seats. While 3CH and 4CH put you side by side, those are the worst F seats in the United fleet IMHO. No air ventilation, no privacy, and the storage and seating space is less than the other seats. row 4 is better than row 3, but still not great. I avoid them like the plague.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:41 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by blueman2
Well, being a bit further back, you will probably be able to get space in overhead bins if you board early. I always sit in Row 1 or 2, and since Row 1 has no overhead space, the space fight can get ugly. But with that said, and not wanting to turn this into a seat selection thread, I would recommend you consider 1A/K as your seats. While 3CH and 4CH put you side by side, those are the worst F seats in the United fleet IMHO. No air ventilation, no privacy, and the storage and seating space is less than the other seats. row 4 is better than row 3, but still not great. I avoid them like the plague.
Agree.

While you aren't as close to your partner is 1A/K, they are vastly superior, IMHO, for a couple. My wife and I always take 1A/K when traveling together on the 747 in first. You're close enough to talk, but can't hold hands or share secrets or talk bad about the F/As or anyone else in your cabin. We forgo the proximity for overall comfort and privacy.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again. Changed to 1A&K. After 30 years of marriage we don't need to be "holding hands" distance when we travel.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
How's the overhead storage space in GF on the 767?

Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Thanks again. Changed to 1A&K. After 30 years of marriage we don't need to be "holding hands" distance when we travel.
Good choice, these are the best seats in GF on the 747 and don't worry to much about overhead space, I've never had an issue with my large carry-on.

Originally Posted by demosthenes1
How's the overhead storage space in GF on the 767?

Thanks
Standard overhead bins in GF on the 767 and quite a lot of room since there are only 5 GF seats.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by sammyindc
Standard overhead bins in GF on the 767 and quite a lot of room since there are only 5 GF seats.
thanks
Old Jul 9, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
In 747 GF, is there not even storage for a backpack at the seat? In BF lie-flats, one can be placed in the footwell. If no similar footwell in 744 GF, it has to go where?

Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello FTers,

I flew 1A on a 747 SFO-FRA and the FAs put my carryons in a bin underneath place where they put sandwiches.. It's front of the center seats. The bin was within reach without me having to get up.

David
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DavidHatt
Hello FTers,

I flew 1A on a 747 SFO-FRA and the FAs put my carryons in a bin underneath place where they put sandwiches.. It's front of the center seats. The bin was within reach without me having to get up.

David
Thanks! we have 1AK, so that works perfectly...
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: United Gold
On my last Global First trip on a 747 I was in 2K and I had a really hard time getting my 21" carry-on into the bin right above my seat, so I choose 3K for my next trip. For the trip after that I'm traveling with a friend so I choose 1A/K for us. I have no idea where we're going to put our stuff on that trip, although I do see on SeatGuru that there is storage space between 1A and 1K and also right in front of 3C and 3H.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
In 747 GF, is there not even storage for a backpack at the seat? In BF lie-flats, one can be placed in the footwell. If no similar footwell in 744 GF, it has to go where?

Thanks!
No. All luggage is supposed to go up top. And my understanding is that luggage is not supposed to be stored in the footwells in lie-flat C, either.

The curvature of the 747 cabin also means that the seats sometimes have different sized in-seat storage (smaller) compared to the 767/777, but that probably doesn't matter except for small bags.

Originally Posted by DavidHatt
I would not depend on the availability of this space for passenger bags.

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
On my last Global First trip on a 747 I was in 2K and I had a really hard time getting my 21" carry-on into the bin right above my seat, so I choose 3K for my next trip. For the trip after that I'm traveling with a friend so I choose 1A/K for us. I have no idea where we're going to put our stuff on that trip, although I do see on SeatGuru that there is storage space between 1A and 1K and also right in front of 3C and 3H.
Board first and put it wherever you want. It's not your fault that this particular product has such bad overseat storage space.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.