Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EVA (BR) award experiences using United miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA (BR) award experiences using United miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
From my experience, BR J awards were pretty easy to obtain last year. I think BR has smartened up and is now controlling the inventory a little tighter. They are still available, but you have to do some more homework. I just snagged a pair LAX-TPE (77W) for late-Oct/early-Nov for my family, and last month the only options available were UA's SFO-TPE. YMMV.

Looks like the official last day is Oct 26 in both directions.
http://evakitty.evaair.com/en/FlightRoutes.aspx
I guess LAX says Bye Bye Kitty and CDG says Bonjour Kitty
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
About 2 months ago I booked JFK-TPE-NRT in J (just found out the TPE-NRT will be on Hello Kitty Speedpuff...so that's an extra bonus) and looking around at some other stuff the availability is still there but before it seemed like on any given day you wanted to get to North or South Asia you could find a BR route through TPE and the US.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by mtndave47
We have an EVA J award SEA-TPE with their 777 in early December. Most days show a 747 from SEA but we booked this prior to MP devaluation.
Same except early Nov and in the reverse direction. I'm looking forward to the Dom. : )
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Eva Air Award Inventory - Does it show on united.com?

Anyone ever see Eva Air Award inventory on UA website.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by kapkap46
Anyone ever see Eva Air Award inventory on UA website.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They now mostly release only within 30 days or so for flights to US but fairly generous within that window.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:55 am

Kacee,

Thanks for that. I want to start burning my miles before UA makes them worth less. Always looking to or from BKK to East Coast preferred but West Coast will be ok .Wish I could find routing through Europe using TG and LH but that appears to be difficult at least by search engine. I see they have already raised the RT to SE Asia Business by 20,000 miles next year. Will it ever stop?

Anyways not a fan of ANA and it appear the the only good connections you can get would be EVA.

I have enough miles to do RT's for 3 years (2per year) but a little scary waiting until the 30 day window. I have 10- 15 day flexibility usually that is not a problem.

Wondering 2 things . Are there any months that are likely to be much more difficult and also since previously as a 1k I never had to pay for canceling an award. What will that cost me if I book ANA in advance and then cancel it when I see EVA inventory 30 days out. I will also be burning a lot of DL miles.

No longer care about the ridiculous earn miles scenario . When these million miles are gone I will go with the best airline for the best price and no longer loyal to companies that IMHO have not been Loyal to me. FF programs give me very little benefits since I get them all by purchasing Business tickets. And collecting miles, I'll live without them.

Forgot to thank NYC Visitor for snap shot of interior Asia flights. Afraid I rarely take those kind of flights.

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:20 am

If you're still 1K you can cxl any award with no penalty even if it is all partner flights so it doesn't matter if you book NH/NH and then find BR/TG or whatever.

I'm taking my BR award in a few days but it was booked a few months ago before the window changed.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:36 am

No Just Gold now and next year I'll be nothing and I fail to see how it will make any difference to me. But in this particular case I will have to pay to change an Award.

I don't know what it is but it will probably be worth it to get on EVA vs ANA , at least IMHO.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by kapkap46
No Just Gold now and next year I'll be nothing and I fail to see how it will make any difference to me. But in this particular case I will have to pay to change an Award.

I don't know what it is but it will probably be worth it to get on EVA vs ANA , at least IMHO.
Between gold and GM, perhaps makes no difference, but one thing that 1k has is no change fees on awards. You can still of course make changes if space becomes available, but for a fee.

If the timing is the most important thing, it may make sense to book now and look for space when available. I think the change fee is about $300. Just be sure to book as one itin, rather than two one way tickets, or the change fees will be double.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:45 am

I really have no issues with NH staggered J if you're looking for J awards. This will probably be my only time taking BR J so since the option was there I went ahead to try it.

You seem to have a ton of miles. NH F is nice too. If it's in the cards now to book I was seeing some awards open for the end of the year.
I was tempted to do it BKK-NRT TG J NRT-SFO F but I didn't want to spend the miles unless it was F the whole way and I'm instrsd doing NRT-SJC on the Dreamliner (which is easier to get picked up from MRY).
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:14 am

I have about a Million Miles between DL and UA but thats because I have rarely used them and have become sick of all FF programs and especially DL so time to get the best use I can out of them. If DL had ever given a Low Award seat in Business to ASIA , I would be surprised. If they did't have KE there would be no way for me to use my miles to SE Asia.

At least UA has more then 1 partner in many cases to use miles. Of douse you rarely see UA give up any low Award Business seats to ASIA on their own metal. They rely on their partners. If the partners turn off the spigot there will be no LOW Award seats to ASIA with UA or DL I am afraid.

I would never waste the miles on First to be honest. Thats is for people who like the Booze served and supposedly the food is better (still crap airline food) I've been upgraded a couple of time from Business and my opinion was I would never pay for it.

Now if we are talking TG with pick up and delivery by a Porsche to and from the plane and massages etc , maybe I could see some value.

I don't like the seats on ANA 787. I find them uncomfortable and the IFE just ok.

I hesitate to say this but I like the food better on UA. Guess I'm a steak and potatoes guy. Half the time on ANA , I don't even know what I am eating.

Last edited by kapkap46; Feb 17, 2015 at 8:20 am
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:47 am

Depending on when you are looking there is certainly UA TPAC awards.

I've had LH F & OZ F food that I would have ordered in a restaurant if it were available and would gladly eat again, but maybe I just like crap compared to meat & potatoes.

TG does not pick you up in a Porsche, it's a golf cart. LH drives you to the plane from the First Class Terminal in a Mercedes.

ANA 787s have two type of J seats depending if it is within Asia or long haul to EU/US.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:21 am

I've never had good fortune to fly First Class in LH or TG but 3 times upgraded on ANA to First and I see no difference between the food in First and Business and I'm pretty sure practically no difference on UA.

I had the good fortune to fly Singapore once in FC and I'd have to say the food is very good but since their fares are 3x UA or ANA, I guess they have to give you something.

I don't fly short hops in asia . Shortest hop would be NRT, ICN,TPE etc to BKK so 777 or 787 again on those carriers especially I can see no value above BC , so would choose not to use the money or miles.

I'm hoping to find an award ticket of TG and LH to NYC and then I'll pay for my ticket to Atlanta but they do not seem to be readily available.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Singapore_Schwing
I think the change fee is about $300. Just be sure to book as one itin, rather than two one way tickets, or the change fees will be double.
For a gold changes are 0/$25 (more than/within 21 days of departure). For a GM, it rises to $75/$100.

Second the "do not book as one-ways" advice. That also eliminates the stopover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.