Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fly the Darkened Skies: What's Up with the Windowshades on UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Won Kay

I would have posted this in an older thread dedicated to this subject, but it's closed (last entry was 2006). So here we go...again.

The policy of UA to lower windowshades on (especially) international long-haul flights is perplexing. I flew four long haul flights recently, all "day-to-day" flights (e.g. depart in the a.m. and arrive in the a.m. or p.m.) -- 3 on UA and one on ANA (TPAC HNL-NRT).

On all of the UA flights, the shades came down almost immediately after takeoff, and stayed down the entire time. Woe be the passenger in a window seat who dared open his/hers for some sunlight or to enjoy the view.

On ANA, virtually every shade stayed open the entire flight. Apparently, those who wanted to sleep could do so, and those who wanted to watch a movie did so as well.

What is it with UA? Who established this asinine policy? The cynical side of me says its not official policy, but an informal one established by FAs to try and minimize work. On one flight we departed IAD at 11:00, arriving at HNL 10 hours later. The first thing the FA said was "We know you want to sleep, so everyone please put their shades down."

This policy alone has made me rethink whether to fly UA or take a codeshare on LH or ANA for my future TLANTs and TPACs.

Talk about a jet-lag inducer. You want to sleep? Get an eyeshade.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think UA has a policy for it. In fact, on the last east bound TPAC flight I took, the FAs forgot to lower the window shades until we started to get daylight.

The recommendation is to lower it and all that whatever rays are not good for you.

I almost always get an aisle seat. If not, I am tempted to open the window once a while to see and that can disturb others' sleep.

Maybe the 787's new window would make things more acceptable for you...
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A darker cabin is better for --
- watching on board entertainment
- allows lower brightness settings of laptops/tablets/.... permitting longer battery life
- and yes even on a day time flight many people choose to sleep

Originally Posted by roadkit
I would have posted this in an older thread dedicated to this subject, but it's closed (last entry was 2006). So here we go...again.

This policy alone has made me rethink whether to fly UA or take a codeshare on LH or ANA for my future TLANTs and TPACs.

Talk about a jet-lag inducer. You want to sleep? Get an eyeshade.
you can open your windowshade but if not sitting at the window seat the person sitting there has the "control". So given your strong interest in this issue, you should choose window seats. Given the situation has not changed in 7 years, no sure what you are expecting now.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:13 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
One of my pet peeves is sitting on 1 side of the aircraft, with a window shade open on the other side trying to watch the IFE, while the sun seems to be glaring in, focused on my eyes. Really nothing I can do about it except to ask the person if they wouldn't mind closing it and explaining the situation.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I lower the window shade half way. It's dark(er) but at the same time lets people know I'm my own man.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Airplanes have windows so you can look out at the glorious view.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I lower the window shade half way. It's dark(er) but at the same time lets people know I'm my own man.

I do find that, for whatever reason, UA passengers do seem to keep the shades down more. Maybe that's just my imagination.

When I'm at the window, I usually pull an anc-ord772.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Airplanes have windows so you can look out at the glorious view.
Which is why I always pick a window seat. I love to watch the world pass below me as I fly from place to place.

Last edited by Mollyann500; Jul 1, 2013 at 4:35 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A darker cabin is better for --
- watching on board entertainment
- allows lower brightness settings of laptops/tablets/.... permitting longer battery life
- and yes even on a day time flight many people choose to sleep

you can open your windowshade but if not sitting at the window seat the person sitting there has the "control". So given your strong interest in this issue, you should choose window seats. Given the situation has not changed in 7 years, no sure what you are expecting now.
Okay. Let me rephrase my original post. IME, this does not happen on ANA. People on those flights also want to watch AVOD, play with their computers, etc. (BTW, UA finally has seat power so the battery life issue is somewhat moot.) You can wear an eyeshade if you want to sleep.

I don't think it necessary to take a window seat, since the FAs are pretty hard on people who want to keep theirs open. If it was up to them, I don't think there would be windows.

Don't you find the statement "We know you want to sleep" odd on a flight that is taking off at 11:00 a.m. and landing at 3:00 PM?

Okay, whatever. Let's all just sit in the dark in the middle of the day.

Originally Posted by fastair
One of my pet peeves is sitting on 1 side of the aircraft, with a window shade open on the other side trying to watch the IFE, while the sun seems to be glaring in, focused on my eyes. Really nothing I can do about it except to ask the person if they wouldn't mind closing it and explaining the situation.
Which is perfectly acceptable IMHO. I'm not saying that every shade needs to be open no matter what. If your on the sunny side, I can understand keeping it closed, or at least down a ways. On the other side though? YMMV.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
I've actually noticed that UA is far less aggressive about this than several other major airlines. On UA I've never been told to lower my window shade - I've been asked, but it has always been voluntary. On both EK and SQ I've been specifically instructed by FAs to close my window shade, and then upon politely declining had follow-up visits from other FAs and then the purser / inflight service manager, all with increasingly insistent requests. This was in J in all cases.

The reasons have been explained above - but on UA at least there is no policy that requires you to keep your window shade closed.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by roadkit
Don't you find the statement "We know you want to sleep" odd on a flight that is taking off at 11:00 a.m. and landing at 3:00 PM? .....
IME, a significant number (approaching 1/2) do sleep and even has been my experience for transcons (such as PS flights where the premium cabin seats are conducive for sleeping). BTW, I would agree sleeping is not the best way to handle jetlag in those case but others do different based on my observations for those flights.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I run into the same on other world wide carriers as well. Hardly a UA only issue
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As Southwest FAs would say, "to enhance the beauty of the flight attendants, we will be dimming the lights".....
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As a courtesy to other passengers, many of whom are watching video or trying to sleep, I lower my shade on long-haul flights unless I'm actively looking out the window. Since those flights are mostly over water, there's really nothing to see most of the time.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I thought I was CRAZY --- but it's true. UA Flyers seem to close the window almost ALL the time. Morning, afternoon, and night, sometimes even before takeoff. What gives?

I like to leave the window open and watch the view, and people act like that's nuts.

I LIKE my view. If you want the window shade closed in a flight that departs in the middle of the afternoon, try sleeping during the night like normal people, or reserve a window seat so you'll have control.

I am tired of the FAs, or other pax TELLING me to close the window. And I hate when the entire plane has the window closed at an 11 am flight. What's the point of having windows if you close them?

Sorry, but if daylight bothers you, next time reserve a window seat and keep it closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.