Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fly the Darkened Skies: What's Up with the Windowshades on UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fly the Darkened Skies: What's Up with the Windowshades on UA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:10 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zombietooth
+1

I noticed on my last flight in ANA F, NRT-IAH, that I fell asleep with my shade open and the FAs closed it sometime before the sun came up. So, I think that even ANA wants you to close the shades on night flights.
I have had FAs close the blinds often while I'm asleep (even on night flights). I do try to close them before dozing off if on a longhaul daylight flight.

Originally Posted by halls120
I fly IAD-SFO frequently, and last trip right side was best. I have seen it while sitting on the left, however.
Agreed. You can also, depending on the route, see stuff like Old Faithful erupting, the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and other interesting stuff which always seems to be on the right when I fly east-to-west.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by televisor
I disagree. Not having natural light when you're trying to stay awake is just as much of a misery.
).
I don't disagree. But my point was not about staying awake. IMHO if you asked every passenger on a LONG HAUL DAY flight. The majority would like to sleep, if for no other reason then to make the flight seem to go by faster. I'm sure you agree it's easier to sleep in the dark

Obvioulsly, if airlines like UA who don't have private suites in F & are packed in Y like most airlines must agree or they would not lock them shut on long 787 flights.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fastair
One of my pet peeves is sitting on 1 side of the aircraft, with a window shade open on the other side trying to watch the IFE, while the sun seems to be glaring in, focused on my eyes. Really nothing I can do about it except to ask the person if they wouldn't mind closing it and explaining the situation.
This is my biggest problem with leaving them open. The folks at the window often have no idea who they are blinding. It isn't necessarily direct sunlight, either. Often times the sun will come in, reflect off a shiny ipad screen, and blind someone halfway across the cabin.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:34 am

Sunlight through the window can be very bright, but it is a shame to lose it. On the 787 maybe a half dimmed position would be the right answer. Related to that, I'd much rather they not switch the lights completely off when the window shared are closed, even on a night flight. The eye strain caused by the reading lights, and the disturbance caused to neighbors of the strobe effect of switching reading lights on and off has always seemed to me much worse than having a little ambient light beyond your eye shade.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
This is my biggest problem with leaving them open. The folks at the window often have no idea who they are blinding. It isn't necessarily direct sunlight, either. Often times the sun will come in, reflect off a shiny ipad screen, and blind someone halfway across the cabin.
This describes it perfectly. ^^
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Exactly
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Pretty much
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got off a 13 hour west bound TPAC flight. 1/3 the way into the flight, this guy lifted his windows shade. On top of that, he was moving back and forth in his seat so his shadow moved all over the place.

Maybe his lights (this was in C so there is the overhead light and the seat light) were broken? Maybe he needs daylight? Hopefully it does not happen on the way back.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Enforced 100% utter darkness daylight transatlantic

First time poster on here, just had my first experience of flying United and I was pretty depressed! Booked noon departure and late afternoon arrival on UA949 LHR-SFO today, in Economy Plus, intending to read and get some work done whilst staying awake. I also love watching the world go by. After the meal service the cabin crew came round and asked for all the window shades to be lowered. Never had this on a daylight flight in two decades with BA, VS, AA or DL where the lights go down but a few blinds stay up and some decent ambient daylight gets in. Sun is high so no glare across anyone's screen. Lady in front wasn't happy with a quarter open shade and another lady across the aeroplane came all the way round to insist we sit in 100% darkness. She then sent the purser to speak to me, he was lovely, handled it very well. Ended up sitting in pitch black for an hour until I cracked the shade an inch to see the sun on my book.
Found the whole thing screwed with my body clock and depressed me no end. Thing is, if cabin crew hadn't asked to close all blinds, one rebel wouldn't be an issue because as on BA, a few shades remain up and glare permitting, that's not been an issue. Never had an issue watching screen in half daylight.

Is the 100% darkness something UNITED encourage as policy, like Virgin America? I hear the B787 windows are locked out as dark so I booked the B777.

Genuine question, asking if this is particular to UA, if it is, they're not for me. Ironically, I could clearly see shades happily open in Business.

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Roughly same thread with same issue about AA within the past week.

Just politely decline when asked. It's not a crewmember order and you would know if it were.

Don't engage with other passengers.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by skipness1E
.... I hear the B787 windows are locked out as dark so I booked the B777. .....
Fully darken 787 windows still allow some view.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Fully darken 787 windows still allow some view.
Yeah but even if the crew locks it as high as 50% darkness all you get is a weird blue darkened world outside. No way to sightsee.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:23 pm

And no way to take the "above the wings" photos of mountain ranges, island groups, volcanoes, etc.!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
I have never had jet lag after a European/M.E. trip.

I always stay awake when flying westbound across the Atlantic.
Natural light helps to re-adjust the "clock"
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I don't think it is fair to expect someone sitting at a window half way across the cabin to be responsible for knowing every possible reflection path. I understand if my window is directly blinding someone or blocking a screen, that one should be considerate. But if someone is just trying to sleep, they have the option to use an eye shade.

Originally Posted by Billiken
I have never had jet lag after a European/M.E. trip.

I always stay awake when flying westbound across the Atlantic.
Natural light helps to re-adjust the "clock"
Exactly, some of us are on short trips and need to be fully adjusted when we arrive at the destination (meaning exposure to bright light in the morning destination time). I don't understand why people feel they need to go to bed after eating their main meal even if its before noon. I don't take a nap after lunch when I'm at home/work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.