Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA taking "ownership" / "control" of a reservation made by a TA for a ($50) fee?

UA taking "ownership" / "control" of a reservation made by a TA for a ($50) fee?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 25, 20, 2:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA may charge a $50 fee to "take over" / "take control" of a TA issued ticket to make changes before the day of travel.

Related threads
Unable to change corporate / third party issued reservations via UA.com
Airline won't help because "ticket was issued through a travel agent"
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 25, 20, 7:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by roknroll View Post
When I called, the agent said that because I booked through a third party, there would be a $50 per travel fee to make the change and receive the electronic travel certificate. This was not deducted from the certificate value, but rather done as a new charge. This does not sound right, and from what I read on United's site they are waiving all change fees for qualified travel. No mention of waiving fees, except for third party bookings. Has anyone else encountered this or have any information about the fees they just charged?
As mentioned this is not a ticket change fee, those are presently waived in many cases, this is a fee to take over / take control of the ticket, something TAs/OTAs generally do not like UA doing. In the past, UA rarely charged this fee but it has become more common -- presumably due to TA pushback and in some cases, UA will do not this for certain corporate TAs -- this disrupts the control the TA has over the ticket and cost tracking
Unable to change corporate / third party issued reservations via UA.com
Old Jun 26, 20, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
I had a flight, booked through American Express Travel, on United flying to PPT in November. Today I logged into my United account and changed the flight for a different trip for Feb 2021. On the confirmation/checkout it showed the new flight prices, with electronic travel certificate as expected. When I confirmed the change, I got an email from United saying that the flight has been changed but I must call United for them to reissue the ticket.

When I called, the agent said that because I booked through a third party, there would be a $50 per travel fee to make the change and receive the electronic travel certificate. This was not deducted from the certificate value, but rather done as a new charge. This does not sound right, and from what I read on United's site they are waiving all change fees for qualified travel. No mention of waiving fees, except for third party bookings. Has anyone else encountered this or have any information about the fees they just charged?
Definitely waived for some, 1K for example. No issue doing this even online with the current waivers. I can see UA insisting on this fee during these times.
Old Jun 29, 20, 7:50 am

or have any information about the fees they just charged?
United Airlines Contract of Carriage, Rule 6 M).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: