Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA taking "ownership" / "control" of a reservation made by a TA for a ($50) fee?

UA taking "ownership" / "control" of a reservation made by a TA for a ($50) fee?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 25, 20, 2:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA may charge a $50 fee to "take over" / "take control" of a TA issued ticket to make changes before the day of travel.

Related threads
Unable to change corporate / third party issued reservations via UA.com
Airline won't help because "ticket was issued through a travel agent"
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 14, 13, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Syzygies View Post
I changed today's flight a few hours ago. Existing Reservations - Change Flights would only book me into a higher fare class (U) for a substantial fare difference.
The "Change Flights" link on the reservation has been very buggy (nearly 100% so) w/r/t SDC for several months now. I believe it used to work--I am pretty sure I used it within the past 12 months at least twice--but at least since late springtime it's never worked for me.

You have to use SDC on the online check-in (which is a shame as it usually misses a lot of options and isn't as flexible as the "Change Flights" link was). Or call in. Or use a kiosk or GA.
Old Nov 14, 13, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
fee

Originally Posted by sakaike View Post
Was your original ticket issued by a corporate TA?

I coincidentally encountered a $50 fee yesterday that was new to me. In changing an itinerary directly through UA that was originally issued by my corporate TA, I was told I had to pay a $50 "transfer fee" for UA to take control of the ticket from the corporate TA.

I think I have done this several times in the past with no such fee. Perhaps this is what the OP is referring to.

Anyone else aware of this fee, and if so, has it been around for very long?
I have read this $50 being mentioned several times in various threads on this board. I have done SDC several times recently on business trips, which are booked by my corporate travel department. I have yet to be charged any fee (I am platinum on UA). I wonder if it only applies to certain companies and not to others.
Old Nov 14, 13, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Fare basis is not relevant to SDC. If a seat is available and it's not oversold, then it's yours.
This has not been true for quite some time. Fare class was not relevant for the PMUA standby policy, which was more restrictive for times - you could only request the change after checkin eligible and to a flight within 3 hours of the request.

The policy currently in use is the PMCO one, which allows SDC at checkin eligibility and to any flight within 24 hours of the request. However, if the original fare class is not available, you must also buy up to that. IMO, also options won't show up on the kiosk/website/app if the same fare class is not available, you have to call in to take advantage of that.
Old Nov 14, 13, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mdpdjx View Post
I have read this $50 being mentioned several times in various threads on this board. I have done SDC several times recently on business trips, which are booked by my corporate travel department. I have yet to be charged any fee (I am platinum on UA). I wonder if it only applies to certain companies and not to others.
As a Plat, you are exempt from SDC fees. It doesn't matter who books the tickets, just that your MP # is on them.
Old Nov 14, 13, 10:03 am

Programs: UA *G, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mdpdjx View Post
I have never been charged a fee either. Yesterday was the first time I had seen that and today I checked again and there was no fee. Maybe I'm only allowed to change my flight once per calendar day? Since my flight is this afternoon I was able to change at 24 hours but if I chose to change again it was going to be $50. Maybe this rolled over at midnight? I'm not sure but it seems to have resolved itself.
Old Nov 14, 13, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFOpaul View Post
I have never been charged a fee either. Yesterday was the first time I had seen that and today I checked again and there was no fee. Maybe I'm only allowed to change my flight once per calendar day? Since my flight is this afternoon I was able to change at 24 hours but if I chose to change again it was going to be $50. Maybe this rolled over at midnight? I'm not sure but it seems to have resolved itself.
Again, there are no daily restrictions. How were you trying to do the change?
Old Nov 15, 13, 11:20 am

Programs: UA *G, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc View Post
Again, there are no daily restrictions. How were you trying to do the change?
I was trying to make a change via the app on my phone. I had no problems doing it earlier in the day but it was also hiding some flights that I knew had seats and were connecting flights. The odd thing was the next morning the fees disappeared and multiple flights with connections were now available.
Old Nov 15, 13, 11:39 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
I was trying to make a change via the app on my phone. I had no problems doing it earlier in the day but it was also hiding some flights that I knew had seats and were connecting flights. The odd thing was the next morning the fees disappeared and multiple flights with connections were now available.
The app doesn't pick-up all the flights that are with same booking class available. But it changes periodically or you can call the reservation. Even when calling reservation, if you get a good knowledgeable agent, they would offer numerous options, without charge, but if you had one of those not-so 'knowledgeable' agent they will tell you you need to pay a fee to make any changes.

The difference is, a knowledgeable agent would try to do SDC while the not-so knowledgeable would try to 'Change Reservation', that will attract charges. Be wary of this difference, if you call.
Old Nov 15, 13, 12:12 pm

I find the phone app can have serious problems doing SDC once you're already checked in.
Old Nov 17, 13, 5:15 am

The 24 hours also applies to the flight you are trying to change to. Both flights have to be within 24 hours. (And the same fare class, etc.)

Was that it, or was it a glitch?

-David
Old Sep 16, 16, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Just discovered that UA charges $50 for changing/canceling a ticket purchased via OTA. What's the justification for this, given that UA is also charging me $200 for changing/canceling a ticket already? Couldn't this fee be characterized as an anticompetitive practice?

To add to my frustration, the UA agent assisting me said he'd waive the $50 charge, but I ended up getting charged anyway.
Old Sep 16, 16, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jeebus View Post
Just discovered that UA charges $50 for changing/canceling a ticket purchased via OTA. What's the justification for this, given that UA is also charging me $200 for changing/canceling a ticket already? Couldn't this fee be characterized as an anticompetitive practice?

To add to my frustration, the UA agent assisting me said he'd waive the $50 charge, but I ended up getting charged anyway.
If you buy from a TA, including OTAs, they usually charge an additional fee for a change beyond what the ticket states. It's a condition of purchase - Orbitz, Expedia, etc. charges the same, IIRC.

They also 'control' the ticket, UA isn't really supposed to make any changes unless IRROPS on day of - the OTA is supposed to do that. Though it's been a while, there have been reports on here of others noting UA has taken control of the ticket, for a fee. This is one reason I buy tickets directly from the carrier whenever possible (though I realize there are some situations where it isn't - like in buying a multi-carrier ticket sometimes). Not sure if UA keeps the fee, or it goes to the OTA - I suspect the latter.

If you truly think it is anti-competitive, I'm sure there's a way to file a complaint with the competition bureau or Dept. of Justice - good luck with that, though.
Old Sep 16, 16, 8:53 am

Contest the $50 with your credit card if you can't get UA to refund it.

The $50 was to "take over" your ticket issued by an OTA, FWIW. But since the agent claimed he was going to waive it, you should be on solid ground to get it back.
Old Sep 16, 16, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Contest the $50 with your credit card if you can't get UA to refund it.

The $50 was to "take over" your ticket issued by an OTA, FWIW. But since the agent claimed he was going to waive it, you should be on solid ground to get it back.
I've gotten a lot more push-back recently from UA on taking over tickets that were issued by my company's travel agency. (It is powered by Expedia.) They used to take it over much more willingly. However, the last couple times I tried (several months ago now), three different 1K Desk agents refused to take it over, and didn't even offer to do it for the $50 fee.
Old Mar 22, 18, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
what influences who "owns" and can "touch" a reservation?

Our corporate travel policies prevent us from booking anything other than coach, so what I often end up doing is booking Y and then calling United within the 24 hour window and having them re-price/re-ticket with the various -UP type fares. About half the time the agent I get just does this, takes the incremental payment, and all is easy and fine. The other half of the time the agent says something like "this is an agency ticket, I can't do anything to it" and from there I either ask again and somehow they figure it out, or they grumble consistently and won't do anything with it and I have to HUACA. Does anyone know if there's some secret word or term or internal UA policy/reference that I can give someone so they'll just do this? I *know* it's possible, I just don't know how to reliably convince a given agent that they should. ;-)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: