Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do You Think UA Will Lose a Lot of Revenue With Fewer MR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Think UA Will Lose a Lot of Revenue With Fewer MR?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by ColoBill1
No one is privy to an exact number of average daily MRers. However, considering the number of folks that travel on UA/UA partner flights worldwide each and every day, I would certainly think that the number does significantly exceed your low ball estimate of "100".

"Stealing upgrades"? Wow. Those who are fortunate to be more flexible with their availability to travel can and do take advantage of booking lower fares on UA, that I might add are published and equally available to everyone. Thus, those that routinely book these less expensive fares (i.e., the $5K 1Ks so often complained about) are not "gaming" the system, any more than are the extremely fortunate FTers that have most/all of their travel paid for by their employer, without having to resort to any out-of-pocket spending.

For those business flyers that are apparently unhappy about upgrades being "stolen" from them, do wish you once might invest the hours upon hours of time required to fly the (now) 120 flights for 1K, and make the dozens upon dozens of required connections, all while doing so on your own dime, as a number of us 1Ks do. We buy valid fares, and meet status requirements. We, too, "earn" our status and benefits. Time to quit calling the kettle black.
To the numbers, read the post directly above yours, it sums things up very accurately.

And as for the rest, dude, I am on your side, so I dont know where thats coming from. All my flying is on my own dime, and none of it is work-related, and none of it are MRs.

I just dont think there are that many MR'ers outside of FT, so a 100 a day is a generous estimate IMO - leisure elites - sure, tons of us, but nowhere near as many as OPM'ers.

When these changes were announced, the only ones jumping for joy were some OPM'ers who dont seem to get it that there are other reasons to fly than work/MR, and think that MR'ers are stealing upgrades from them, and now they will have more upgrades .... lol.. good luck with that.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The problem in this conversation is definitional. People define "mileage run" differently. You all are talking past each other.
Agreed. There are very few pure MR'ers overall. I do believe there's a significant number of people who might take an extra segment or the long way around to secure more miles. These individuals end up costing the airline a lot of money, especially if the fares are deeply discounted.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlivengo
Agreed. There are very few pure MR'ers overall. I do believe there's a significant number of people who might take an extra segment or the long way around to secure more miles. These individuals end up costing the airline a lot of money, especially if the fares are deeply discounted.
How do you know these people 'cost the airline a lot of money'
Its not like these people go to UA and say, hey sell me this ticket for $200 or else!!! If UA did not want them to buy the $200 ticket to fill the seat, they wouldnt offer it for sale!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
How do you know these people 'cost the airline a lot of money'
Its not like these people go to UA and say, hey sell me this ticket for $200 or else!!! If UA did not want them to buy the $200 ticket to fill the seat, they wouldnt offer it for sale!
If UA can get a person from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time that's less fuel, less in-flight service, less baggage handling, and leaves additional seats open on other flights that the part time MR'er might have taken. Pretty obvious how they save money.

Not blaming the passenger, just saying it cost the airline a lot of money for MR'ers that might stretch out a trip.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If UA can get a person from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time that's less fuel, less in-flight service, less baggage handling, and leaves additional seats open on other flights that the part time MR'er might have taken. Pretty obvious how they save money.

Not blaming the passenger, just saying it cost the airline a lot of money for MR'ers that might stretch out a trip.
which is why UA has placed routing rules on most cheap fares. Of course its a stretch MR'ers cost "a lot" of money.

Seems like the MR'er serves as a mythical scapegoat around here, we suspect they may exist, but outside of FT, noone has ever seen one.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
New meaning to MR?

In addition to Mileage Run (obvious) & Mattress Run (hotel perks), now maybe a Money Run? Would any pax do creative routings to maximize miles & spend?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:59 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by BH62
In addition to Mileage Run (obvious) & Mattress Run (hotel perks), now maybe a Money Run? Would any pax do creative routings to maximize miles & spend?
Unscrupulous business pax do this all the time.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:59 pm

which is why UA has placed routing rules on most cheap fares. Of course its a stretch MR'ers cost "a lot" of money.

Seems like the MR'er serves as a mythical scapegoat around here, we suspect they may exist, but outside of FT, noone has ever seen one.
If you read my other post's, I've clearly stated that I believe the primary target of this PQD rule is US based HVF'ers that book on other *A carriers and benefit from UA FF program. MR'ers are just a cascading effect.

Speaking of MR'ers costing money...did you see the article about GoAir not hiring male FA's because they're heavier? Potentially saving 500K a year in fuel alone? If SMI is worried about splitting cashews to save money then yeah, I'd consider MR'ers potentially costing UA a lot.

Also, I'm not necessarily talking about pure MR's. I'm talking about the person with a valid trip, maybe business, that takes the scenic route home.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
To the numbers, read the post directly above yours, it sums things up very accurately.

And as for the rest, dude, I am on your side, so I dont know where thats coming from. All my flying is on my own dime, and none of it is work-related, and none of it are MRs.

I just dont think there are that many MR'ers outside of FT, so a 100 a day is a generous estimate IMO - leisure elites - sure, tons of us, but nowhere near as many as OPM'ers.

When these changes were announced, the only ones jumping for joy were some OPM'ers who dont seem to get it that there are other reasons to fly than work/MR, and think that MR'ers are stealing upgrades from them, and now they will have more upgrades .... lol.. good luck with that.
Fortunately, we all are allowed to have our own opinions. One of mine is that mileage runs are certainly not exclusive to FT members, who are fewer than 500K in number. With several tens of millions others signed up for UA Mileage Plus, surely a number of other flyers are savvy enough to have figured out mileage running. I, myself, started doing it a number of years before learning about/joining FT.

The remainder of my last post was not worded "at" you, as it does seem we are pretty compatible with our thoughts. As far as "stealing", you were only parroting others. I'm sure you, like me, have grown tired of the "unworthy" label heaped upon some UA elites, by others in this community, even though we have played by the rules.

Last edited by ColoBill1; Jul 2, 2013 at 2:44 pm
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ColoBill1
I'm sure you, like me, have grown tired of the "unworthiness" label heaped upon some UA elites, by others in this community, even though we have played by the rules.
Yes, OPMers chiming in all the time that they are glad spend is finally getting rewarded is pretty tiring when it comes from people who dont spend their own money to earn status.

This change doesnt affect me negatively, if anything, some here would like me to believe that upgrades will improve because the herd will be thinned, and elite will mean something again.... to which I say... I got some magic beans to sell ya....

As another subplot to this, the MR'ers that were smart enough to figure out the game and get status purely from MRs are smart enough to figure out how to "move" outside of the USA
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA plat, HH, Marriott Platinum,
I recently tried booking a flight from DEL to IAH in biz class through EWR. The flight thru EWR went to BOS and then to IAH. This was cheaper than the flight from EWR to IAH directly. The additional time was 1 hour to IAH (flight to BOS left earlier). So, the additional miles I would have received would have actually put me over 1k, but now I am short 300 miles. So not sure how they figure the additional connections and cheaper fare!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Speaking of MR'ers costing money...did you see the article about GoAir not hiring male FA's because they're heavier? Potentially saving 500K a year in fuel alone? If SMI is worried about splitting cashews to save money then yeah, I'd consider MR'ers potentially costing UA a lot.
MRers tend to carry less stuff with them than other people who would be filling those seats though. MRers don't check bags and when I MR, I only take ONE carry-on instead of two. So I don't even take up overhead bin space.

And in comparison with the flight crew (which the airline flies around and has to eat the cost of the weight), MRers actually *ARE* contributing revenue. If they are contributing more revenue than the fuel burn they cause, they aren't "costing" the airline anything.

Last edited by STS-134; Jul 2, 2013 at 5:43 pm
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The answer is SDC

Originally Posted by kalagapp
I recently tried booking a flight from DEL to IAH in biz class through EWR. The flight thru EWR went to BOS and then to IAH. This was cheaper than the flight from EWR to IAH directly. The additional time was 1 hour to IAH (flight to BOS left earlier). So, the additional miles I would have received would have actually put me over 1k, but now I am short 300 miles. So not sure how they figure the additional connections and cheaper fare!
You can easily get another 500-min segment by SDCing near the end of your trip, assuming that it is a domestic one.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key UA 1K
Of course there will be a decrease in revenue. MR by definition is a CHEAP flight where the price per mile is far less the median price. The reason a flight is CHEAP is because it is wide open, if there were a ton of bookings all the lower booking classes would be filled and only premium fares would exist. Now on some of these undercapacity flights which would be filled to a certain extent will now go empty. Even if there is only one MR if he she hasn't taken a seat on an oversold flight is a LOSS if that seat goes out empty.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RONINASPEN
Of course there will be a decrease in revenue. MR by definition is a CHEAP flight where the price per mile is far less the median price. The reason a flight is CHEAP is because it is wide open, if there were a ton of bookings all the lower booking classes would be filled and only premium fares would exist. Now on some of these undercapacity flights which would be filled to a certain extent will now go empty. Even if there is only one MR if he she hasn't taken a seat on an oversold flight is a LOSS if that seat goes out empty.
But the OP's question was whether UA will lose a lot of revenue. That depends on whether MRs count for a noticeable proportion of flights and whether they can reduce this oversupply or sell it to leisure travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.