Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do You Think UA Will Lose a Lot of Revenue With Fewer MR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Think UA Will Lose a Lot of Revenue With Fewer MR?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Are you saying that you don't fly a single flight where you're actually going somewhere? Or are you just saying that you only do cheap leisure travel?

If the latter, mere leisure travel is not "technically" mileage running, despite what some business travelers here seem to think.
I am the same way. I dont "have" to be anywhere, but I like flying, and I like traveling, my flights are always 'going somewhere'.

Leisure travel is not necessarily cheap either.

Business flyers on this board dont seem to get that there is a middle ground - like 90% of people flying - between work flyers and MR'ers.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:38 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
As you say, I doubt the MR thing is as big as people here may be conditioned to believe.

The bigger thing is that UA is trying to optimize the sizing and exploiting of its fleet and passengers more. It's not that they will disincentivize MRs from happening. Those seats would be filled by someone taking an equally low price anyway. More like, they will shrink the size of planes on long thin routes, cut cabin sizes and increase average ticket prices to cut at the last profitable passenger they want. And not just fill big planes willy nilly with "loyal" customers who don't pay much.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:42 am

I think there will be a little loss for United from fewer MRs, but far more in losses from losing the loyalty elite benefits generate.

If you are never going to achieve Elite status, it's far more likely that you will buy a ticket based on price. So if they price right, United's move is the best thing that ever happened to JetBlue, Virgin America and possibly Southwest
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by waxearwings
They will not lose a lot of revenue from reduced MRs because the amount of MR traffic is so tiny (and likely did not even factor into the conversation about the new rules). .....
I have never seen any convincing evidence that is significant revenue generated by MRers. It seems more likely this is a small, niche activity of which a dis-proportioned members of FT participate in. I base this on the fact that among the hundreds of regular flyers I have contact with only a handful have every heard of MR and none actually participate in MR. Additionally based on reports on FT, while some UA customer facing staff are aware MRers, many report some GA/FA/phone agents ... are amused to learn of this activity.

Originally Posted by MrAOK
I think there will be a little loss for United from fewer MRs, but far more in losses from losing the loyalty elite benefits generate. ....
I agree -- and believe the loss of the loyalty of the moderate regular flyer is a far more significant financial issue than MRers.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hockey7711
I don't have to fly at all so technically ALL of my revenue is from mileage runs for status. Needless to say, that will decrease as it will no longer be worth the spend to get to 1K for me.
+1...ALL of my flying is a mix of leisure/mileage runs (sometimes the line between the two does get blurred such as the recent IST runs where it WAS a mileage run but lots of MRers stayed a few days to explore such a fascinating city).

I do think there are more folks like us than people may think...that said, UA will lose 100% of my travel $$ since I typically look for fares in the 3cpm range which is nowhere close to the PQD amount requirement. Since I've already booked enough UA flights to get Silver for 2014, next year will basically be a year with almost unused UA status since I need to begin working on MVP status with AS starting in January (the 50% instead of 25% RDM bonus on AS/DL/AA flights will be a welcome treat when I finally get to MVP ).
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by paulyras
My guess is that the trend will be to attempt to balance fares more going forward. I expect two things...

1) Further capacity cuts (the people who need to fly will continue to fly), eliminating the seats taken up by the MR people, and increasing the average fares

2) A likely flattening of the fares somewhat to attract more mid budget people. There will always be the full fare purchasers, but I would expect that if right now the discounted fares range from ~$200-$800 on a given flight, that it might be more like ~$300 or $350 up to $800, but with the vast majority of the seats towards the lower end. In other words, maximize filled seats, but don't hemorrhage money in the process.

I am also convinced United will not be alone in this effort.

Edit: But to directly address the question, not much. Furthermore, what they do lose is revenue that they probably really don't want in the first place.
excellent points and I personally have already been seeing it happening. fares that used to reliably be available for $200-250 last year are now $300-350 with the same advanced purchase and the same fare buckets.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ddrost1
excellent points and I personally have already been seeing it happening. fares that used to reliably be available for $200-250 last year are now $300-350 with the same advanced purchase and the same fare buckets.
United can't do this on its own. If they could magically increase fares, they would have long ago. The markets, not UA's unilateral behavior, determine prices. See, e.g., EWR-SFO/LAX.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: UA G
Nah, MRs were taking up cheap fare buckets, which will now be taken by Kayakers. This is a win for UA: they'll sell the cheap space for the same price but won't have to pay for any elite benefits on that cheap customers ^

Smart.

Last edited by unavaca; Jul 1, 2013 at 11:46 am Reason: Meant to thumbs up, not thumbs down. mmm coffee.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I dont understand this exxageration of the MR phenomenon. How many people do MRs at any given day on the grand scheme of things, 100 a day maybe? Its such an insignificant number of people.
Exactly -- it's too small an asterisk to worry about. Except perhaps in December when a tiny bit of MR revenue may have helped a bit in the dead period 1-20 December. But probably not even then.

Only on FT does anyone imagine MRing is a significant phenomenon.

United can't do this on its own. If they could magically increase fares, they would have long ago. The markets, not UA's unilateral behavior, determine prices. See, e.g., EWR-SFO/LAX.
But in a cooperative de facto cartel whose members' pricing and policies seem to move in lockstep it is a whole lot easier. Mergers = reduced market forces and greater pricing power.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have never seen any convincing evidence that is significant revenue generated by MRers. It seems more likely this is a small, niche activity of which a dis-proportioned members of FT participate in. I base this on the fact that among the hundreds of regular flyers I have contact with only a handful have every heard of MR and none actually participate in MR. Additionally based on reports on FT, while some UA customer facing staff are aware MRers, many report some GA/FA/phone agents ... are amused to learn of this activity.
+1 I used to work in consulting and still have friends in that industry. Lots of travel. In that group, most people when they are in that 95% travel situation just want to get home. While getting upgraded is nice, it's not an obsession like it is here. And certainly, no one I worked with would deliberately route themselves in such a way to maximize mileage or to get an upgrade.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I agree -- and believe the loss of the loyalty of the moderate regular flyer is a far more significant financial issue than MRers.
Right. You gotta believe that the person directing their business to UA to get status before PQD but won't make now status because they have to buy the lowest fare is saying to themselves F-- it. Why put up with crappy service and aircraft when I can fly B6, VX, DL, etc for around the same price when there's no loyalty benefits?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Simple answer, no. There isn't much revenue to lose from mileage runners as they're a tiny tiny tiny tiny fraction of UAs loads.

Anyone who thinks that the move to PQDs is about mileage runners needs their head examined. I suspect the PQD phenomenon is trying to thin out/change behaviour from two groups of travelers:
1. People who get the benefits of UA status domestically (and for int'l lounge access) but who fly internationally on other *A carriers (like me). UA bear the cost of status but get little of the lucrative int'l revenue.
2. People who are organized and book lots of discounted restricted tickets well in advance, e.g. lots of bi-coastal consultants who know they're travelling week in week out between two cities and book way in advance. We are supposed to get CEO approval if we book less than 2-weeks in advance and I'm sure many other IT firms are the same. Again UA gives them lots of perks but the don't get the margins of Y/B/M flyers who book day of travel.

The number of firms buying domestic first/int'l business flexible tickets for everyday employees appears to be dwindling (at least in IT) and this will be forcing UA to change their way of incentivizing higher spend from their elites.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by unavaca
Nah, MRs were taking up cheap fare buckets, which will now be taken by Kayakers. This is a win for UA: they'll sell the cheap space for the same price but won't have to pay for any elite benefits on that cheap customers

Smart.
Demand before was kayakers + MRers. Now it's kaykers + fewer MRers. Again, basic economic theory doesn't permit this "kaykers will replace MRers" idea. Either capacity needs to drop, or new kayakers need to materialize.

Originally Posted by BearX220
But in a cooperative de facto cartel whose members' pricing and policies seem to move in lockstep it is a whole lot easier. Mergers = reduced market forces and greater pricing power.
Sure. But less healthy FF programs actually make prices drop. People need to remember that the entire point of FF programs is to raise prices. When people weep about the end of FF programs as we know them, they don't seem to get that the FF programs are designed to raise prices.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I stop by this thread for the briefest of moments to point out that the only reason tickets are going to MR-ers is because it's the most economically efficient allocation of resources. Airlines have incredibly complicated and advanced revenue management systems and personnel. Except for true mistake fares, setting prices at a level that makes MR-ers bite is no accident. If you think that UA can simply "replace" the demand created by MR-ers with business travelers or kettles, you need to go back to Econ 101. They could potentially reduce capacity, though.

I have no idea whether there are MR fares that are so low that UA records a net loss due to fuel burn. It's an interesting question.
This thread has a bunch of calculations, it appears many somewhat erroneous (and some dated because of jet fuel prices), but they all suggest that the fuel-burn costs of carrying a marginal passenger is under $100, perhaps well so, for a mid-con flight.

Sure there are some other marginal costs (drinks/nuts/boarding card printout), but most of the others are fixed for the flight.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA G
Demand before was kayakers + MRers. Now it's kaykers + fewer MRers. Again, basic economic theory doesn't permit this "kaykers will replace MRers" idea. Either capacity needs to drop, or new kayakers need to materialize.
New kayakers will materialize. After the MRs ate up all the cheap space, Kayakers went over to DL or AA (who still had cheap buckets open). With the pesky MRers gone, more Kayakers will see UA's lowest buckets instead of going over to DL or AA.

In short, UA doesn't need MRers -- they'll more than fill the space with kayakers.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
I was going to write this in the 2014 changes, but it makes more sense for it here...

While I am a MR & very cheap leisure traveler, I can most certainly say that UA will not lose much if anything at all by getting rid of the MRers.

For 2013 thus far, i'm at 62,534 EQM at US$1,647 PQD...not very beneficial for UA, self admittedly.

That said, UA will either not fill those seats at all (not likely) or sell them other Kayakers (most likely) who will fly for the price I paid or even higher.

The key takeaway from this is that the Kayakers will not use/accrue RDMs or any elite benefits on a large scale and it in turn keeps UA's liabilities a lot lower than if I were on them.

In UA's best interests are getting the stupidest, least knowledgeable, least active flyers on their flights every so often. By doing that, the passenger's complaints are overlooked, UA's cost AFTER the flights (RDM, elite perks, etc) are slim and most importantly - they have the opportunity to charge them for EVERYTHING - food, bags, e+, ToDs...you name it.

UA doesn't want cheap elite flyers, and I get that, but they do want cheap flyers because they can get that ancillary revenue they so lovingly grab.

-jeremy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.