New TV Commercial for p.s.

Old Jul 1, 13, 9:37 pm
  #121  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,645
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer View Post
Yawn.

Where's the impact? The emotional connection? The aspirational goal?

Some random guy telling me that PS is just like traveling in a premium cabin overseas doesn't really say much or provide a compelling message.
What's most ironic is that it's "like flying international" only because CO is so keen to fly 767's on long-haul international routes instead of the 777 and 747's that UA used on same routes. Another artifact of the race to the bottom.
FlyWorld is offline  
Old Jul 1, 13, 9:46 pm
  #122  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 1,961
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
I went back to look at it again. You see the window, a tiny slice of the seat frame, the top of the armrest/console, and at the end, the AVOD screen. That's it.
I think you guys are nuts. Or maybe you didn't watch to the end? Here's the full frame at the end of the video. It seems like a perfectly good view of the seat.

DaviddesJ is offline  
Old Jul 1, 13, 9:54 pm
  #123  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,876
OK...maybe I am nuts....because that does not look like an advertisement for a lie-flat seat. That shot actually makes it look more like a recliner.

goodeats21 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 13, 9:56 pm
  #124  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 11,227
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
OK...maybe I am nuts....because that does not look like an advertisement for a lie-flat seat. That shot actually makes it look more like a recliner.


That's what I thought watching it.
wrp96 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 13, 9:58 pm
  #125  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 1,961
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
OK...maybe I am nuts....because that does not look like an advertisement for a lie-flat seat. That shot actually makes it look more like a recliner.

It's just one still image. He fully reclines, and then sits back up to talk to the camera (in this image, the seat is still flat, but he's pulling himself up so that he can see the camera).

Good grief, did any of you actually watch the video??
DaviddesJ is offline  
Old Jul 1, 13, 10:12 pm
  #126  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Programs: UA1MM*GL, AA Plat, WN, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Posts: 642
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
I notice that the men go to visit the customers (and probably their mistresses) while the women bring coffee and hand out travel packets. Feels like 1950, not 1990.
You must be really young. That was the 1990s...although not sure about the mistresses. pmUA learned the hard way in the 1960s not to p-off their top business customers when they ran their fly your wife for free campaign and then naÔvely sent thank you notes to the Mr's wife...funny thing she was at home doing the dishes...note to COua...don't do this...although the modern equivalent of upgrading you and sending the wife to economy because the res was split has a similar effect...now wait what world class airline would do that???
mike1968 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 13, 11:51 pm
  #127  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: United 1K MM; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Alaska 75K
Posts: 143
The Good 'ol Days of United

These were some of the best ads. Creative. Unique. Interesting. Artistic. Unexpected. Hip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frVP9lV_YR4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9vWCKlseus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFXbCSDq6Cg
texasex95 is offline  
Old Jul 2, 13, 12:17 am
  #128  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 1,961
Originally Posted by texasex95 View Post
These were some of the best ads. Creative. Unique. Interesting. Artistic. Unexpected. Hip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frVP9lV_YR4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9vWCKlseus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFXbCSDq6Cg
And absolutely zero reason in them to fly UA rather than any other airline?
DaviddesJ is offline  
Old Jul 2, 13, 12:32 am
  #129  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 4,507
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
And absolutely zero reason in them to fly UA rather than any other airline?
And yet the new ad purporting to showcase the literal product still fails to leave any real impression. Double fail with the emotional vacuity that never used to exist in UA's advertising (forget PMUA, even last year's Team USA Olympics series connected on a base level).
GoAmtrak is offline  
Old Jul 2, 13, 1:08 am
  #130  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Our Nation's Capital
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Posts: 832
Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
What's most ironic is that it's "like flying international" only because CO is so keen to fly 767's on long-haul international routes instead of the 777 and 747's that UA used on same routes. Another artifact of the race to the bottom.
Now 767's are too small to cross the pond?!

Wow. Just wow.

As for the commercial, meh. Not a fan.
Sulley is offline  
Old Jul 2, 13, 2:20 am
  #131  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 44,513
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
I think you guys are nuts. Or maybe you didn't watch to the end? Here's the full frame at the end of the video.
I watched it it at the site originally linked, not full frame. The photo you posted does show more of the seat.

Calling people " nuts" doesn't advance your argument.
halls120 is online now  
Old Jul 2, 13, 2:37 am
  #132  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Slightly to the left of center
Posts: 3,474
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
I think you guys are nuts. Or maybe you didn't watch to the end? Here's the full frame at the end of the video. It seems like a perfectly good view of the seat.
Looks like his knee is hitting the table in front of him.
And he can't fully recline.

I know..I know.. watch the video.
But dear UA: Don't get any fancy shmancy ideas to use this still image for any magazine print. Your welcome.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 2, 13 at 4:32 am Reason: image removal
DBCme is offline  
Old Jul 2, 13, 5:27 am
  #133  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 20,381
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
I think you guys are nuts. Or maybe you didn't watch to the end? Here's the full frame at the end of the video. It seems like a perfectly good view of the seat.
Based on the fact you only see a fraction of the seat, AND it's not like whomever's watching this is going to see it in slow-motion / freeze frame...I don't think "we're" the ones who are nuts.

Watch the AA spot upthread that this ad rips off...much better product visibility. And a stronger message overall.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Jul 2, 13, 5:46 am
  #134  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC: UA 1K, DL Platinum, AAirpass, Avis PC
Posts: 4,599
Originally Posted by DC Mike View Post
Really unfortunate ad. The message is pretty muddled, and there's no sense of who the target audience is.

B.D. Wong isn't a young and trendy urbanite, but not someone who will connect with an established business flyer either. Same thing with Matt Damon.

The sell is on the amenities, but United's weakness, if you ask me, is the service experience - grouchy gate agents, grouchy flight attendants, an airline that doesn't care.

I don't walk away from this with a sense that United understands why I fly, what I want from the experience. Contrast that to these three ads that absolutely deliver the message (in three very different ways):

United Airlines - "Rededicated"

American Airlines - "Going Home"

United Airlines - "Interview"

Anyway, just two pennies from a PR guy (and everyone knows the ad guys hate us PR guys!)...
Once they get their product and service standards in order, 'Rededicated' hits exactly the mark.

Global, business oriented, hard working for you.
cerealmarketer is offline  
Old Jul 2, 13, 5:59 am
  #135  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 769
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
And absolutely zero reason in them to fly UA rather than any other airline?
They're branding campaigns, while the p.s. ad we're all talking about is more about promoting a specific product / features. Kind of an apples and oranges comparison.

But you need both - most people here are lamenting the lack of emotional connection in the ad, and I agree with you that that is more the domain of a brand campaign than a product highlight. That said, the closest thing to a branding campaign we've seen from UA since the merger is either the Olympics ad (not very good either - just kept rattling off more destinations, more flights, more FEATURES but no emotional connection in the script... the music and athlete imagery maybe, but I don't really know what that is supposed to tell me about United) or the cheesy Chase MileagePlus Explorer commercials (which don't exactly paint the airline in the most aspirational sense).

IMO a product / feature ad like this p.s. one should be about the product and the features and scaled back a bit on the emotional connection stuff - but it should still build on a pre-existing branding message. It should also ladder up to something higher-level than rattling off the features. When I watch this ad I get a list of benefits: 15" screen, 4 course meal, wifi and power, flat bed seats, ice cream sundae. Those are all good things! What conclusion am I supposed to draw from that list of features? "... as luxurious as flying overseas" gives me a hint at what they're trying to get to, but this ad certainly doesn't convey "luxury" to me. And while they do pan back at the end, I still don't see the actual seat - just the divider between seats.

I remember the Olympics ads listing features like more flights to more places, more flat bed seats (I think?) - all good things again! I just wish they could use these benefits to make a higher level connection. Does that mean United can get me wherever I need to go, with more options and fewer connections? Does it mean United can take me to far off lands that I'd only ever dreamed of visiting? Does it mean that I'll show up well-rested and ready to get moving as soon as I land?

There are a TON of places they could go with some of the great features they have right now, and they're just not. And I'm saying this as a pmCO guy, who generally thinks the COdbaUA SMI/J stuff is overblown, and who happens to think the new p.s. seat is a HUGE upgrade over the old recliners (I'm 6'6" but since I tend to sleep on my side, knees slightly bent, I've never had length issues).
milesmuncher is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: