Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TV Commercial for p.s.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with these "complaints". I mean, seriously, who cares? You're going to choose the crappy seat because it has less video compression?
I'm 6'1" and I find the seat to be insufficient for comfortable sleep when fully flat. I have to bend my knees 100% of the time or push my head against the top of the shell.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I'm 6'1" and I find the seat to be insufficient for comfortable sleep when fully flat. I have to bend my knees 100% of the time or push my head against the top of the shell.
That's a different complaint than the video compression!

Are the PS seats significantly more cramped than the similar seats on other planes such as the PMCO 777's?

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...-200_C_new.php
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._777-200_6.php
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:48 pm

That's a different complaint than the video compression!

Are the PS seats significantly more cramped than the similar seats on other planes such as the PMCO 777's?

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...-200_C_new.php
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._777-200_6.php
You're right it is. You said "complaints" plural. So I assumed you were referring to >1 complaint on the list.

I can't speak to the BF seat on the sCO 777, not too many of those to my destinations. I have flown the sCO 764 BF seat. I couldn't quite stretch out either IIRC, but I don't remember it being as bad. The bigger issue on those flights were the criminal use of hospital gauze as blankets.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I can't speak to the BF seat on the sCO 777, not too many of those to my destinations. I have flown the sCO 764 BF seat. I couldn't quite stretch out either IIRC, but I don't remember it being as bad.
According to SeatGuru, the 764 is the most cramped of the three. Of course, that doesn't mean it's necessarily true.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...767_400_ER.php

The only one I've flown is the 777. I thought it was quite comfortable. Definitely way better for a domestic transcon than anything else that exists. I haven't flown the PS route with the upgraded planes, but I've flown EWR-SFO on what happened to be the Intl 752, which I think has the same seats as the PS, and they were much better than the VX product or any of the alternatives I've encountered.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...7-200_Flat.php

I do think UA's claim to have the best product (for now, if you get the right plane) is valid.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:05 pm

According to SeatGuru, the 764 is the most cramped of the three. Of course, that doesn't mean it's necessarily true.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...767_400_ER.php

The only one I've flown is the 777. I thought it was quite comfortable. Definitely way better for a domestic transcon than anything else that exists. I haven't flown the PS route with the upgraded planes, but I've flown EWR-SFO on what happened to be the Intl 752, which I think has the same seats as the PS, and they were much better than the VX product or any of the alternatives I've encountered.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...7-200_Flat.php

I do think UA's claim to have the best product (for now, if you get the right plane) is valid.
I dislike the VX premium hard product. I know people rave and fawn, but it wasn't for me. I find the seat uncomfortable. Great atmosphere though.

Many posters on the forum are fans of wide-body domestic flights. However they are far from standard offerings and should not be compared to other products as if they were.

In general I find the sCO flatbed seat does not help facilitate better sleep than the seat(s) it is replacing, which is a shame. I should mention that I have yet to fly the new PS configuration. I am speaking based on my experience on the sCO 757 BF seats. I do believe they are exactly the same as the new PS seats.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Wow that was really, really weak.

No imagination or connection to the consumer.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, National Exec
If this ad is McGarryBowen's work then United needs to seriously consider conducting a search for a new AOR.

As many others have said both AA (McCann/TM) and DL's (Widen + Kennedy) recent ad campaigns have actually been quite good and have a clear message and audience.

Those ads work to make a connection with their target audience. I don't even know who is supposed to be the target audience for this UA ad, let alone what type of connection (emotional, intellectual, or otherwise) this ad is attempting to make.

Southwest looked beyond its long time AOR for additional help and hired TBWA to create its recent "Welcome Aboard" campaign, which actually was the first WN ad I liked in recent memory. http://www.adforum.com/creative-work/ad/player/34484036

Perhaps its time for UA to bring in some extra (or new) help on the marketing side.

Last edited by LexVegas; Jul 1, 2013 at 7:12 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LexVegas
I don't even know who is supposed to be the target audience for this UA ad
Wow, that's pretty easy. The target audience is people who fly SFO-JFK or LAX-JFK and can afford business class seats and want a more comfortable flight, especially on redeyes.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
So you're excited that AA has ads that show a product that doesn't even exist yet, but critical of UA for ads that show their product that actually exists?

Haters gotta hate, but it seems silly to me.
I don't really care about the AA ads - but they are high quality, and at least hit both the emotional as well as functional aspects well.

You still really miss the point though - for all intents and purposes, the new PS doesn't even really exist yet. You can't book it confidently, you don't really know if you'll get it or not. Maybe they'll be done by the end of the year - though they were supposed to be done by the end of last year.

Wow, that's pretty easy. The target audience is people who fly SFO-JFK or LAX-JFK and can afford business class seats and want a more comfortable flight, especially on redeyes.
If that's the target, there's a MASSIVE disconnect between the creative brief and the output

Last edited by UA-NYC; Jul 1, 2013 at 7:32 pm
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You still really miss the point though - for all intents and purposes, the new PS doesn't even really exist yet.
That's certainly a problem, but it can't reduce the efficacy of the ad, because its viewers won't know that.

It was mentioned that AA has ads for their new product that won't even start being delivered until November, but I don't see you hating on that.

If that's the target, there's a MASSIVE disconnect between the creative brief and the output
No. The ad is fine, but you're predisposed to hate anything associated in any way with (the current) UA. That's pretty obvious.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
That's certainly a problem, but it can't reduce the efficacy of the ad, because its viewers won't know that.

It was mentioned that AA has ads for their new product that won't even start being delivered until November, but I don't see you hating on that.
So keep praising something that doesn't exist then - that's fine.

An "ad" is something different from a 30 second spot that exists only on social media by the way. AA is running "ads" for their new 77W, as it's on 7 routes daily and growing - I've been on it, it's fantastic. Their teaser spots for new planes are only on social media sites. But again - at least they're done "right".

Heaven help UA if this 30 second clip they posted to their FB page actually makes the airwaves, as they're basically setting their $ on fire.

No. The ad is fine, but you're predisposed to hate anything associated in any way with (the current) UA. That's pretty obvious.
No, the ad pretty much sucks...but it's telling that you think it's fine.

I'm happy to praise UA when it does well - but unfortunately those areas are few and far between these days. Feel free to keep cheerleading though - I have no idea where you came from.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So keep praising something that doesn't exist then - that's fine.

An "ad" is something different from a 30 second spot that exists only on social media by the way. AA is running "ads" for their new 77W, as it's on 7 routes daily and growing - I've been on it, it's fantastic. Their teaser spots for new planes are only on social media sites. But again - at least they're done "right".

Heaven help UA if this 30 second clip they posted to their FB page actually makes the airwaves, as they're basically setting their $ on fire.

No, the ad pretty much sucks...but it's telling that you think it's fine.

I'm happy to praise UA when it does well - but unfortunately those areas are few and far between these days. Feel free to keep cheerleading though - I have no idea where you came from.
With all honesty, how can ANYONE think this is a good ad?

They must really be feeling the heat at EWR... first the dinner and now this. I sure hope jeff and co. aren't pinning all of their hopes on this.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Actually, I thought the product received very good placement. But I seem to have "gotten" the ad in a way that most other didn't.
I went back to look at it again. You see the window, a tiny slice of the seat frame, the top of the armrest/console, and at the end, the AVOD screen. That's it. If I had never been on an aircraft with flat bed seats, there is no way I would have been able to mentally picture how much room I had.

Then again, maybe that's the point....

I agree that for now, United's product is very competitive. You wouldn't know it by this ad, however.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
I went back to look at it again. You see the window, a tiny slice of the seat frame, the top of the armrest/console, and at the end, the AVOD screen. That's it. If I had never been on an aircraft with flat bed seats, there is no way I would have been able to mentally picture how much room I had.

Then again, maybe that's the point....
I think that is the point. He's slowly disappearing over the course of the spot.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:39 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Wow!!!

Too bad I stopped flying United on that famous 3/3 day. Otherwise I JUST might have wanted to trying their new PS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.