FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New TV Commercial for p.s. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1480960-new-tv-commercial-p-s.html)

Shareholder Jun 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 21017533)
Nope, it's because it's weak - whereas good ads (like IMO recent DL/AA campaigns) are rightly praised

Agree, quite bland. We don't really see any of the products he's talking about and there's no vitality to the whole concept. But at least UA's kept the Rhapsody in Blue musical theme.

BearX220 Jun 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757 (Post 21017642)
Really obnoxious and tacky ad. And stupidly shot, considering you can't see the giant video screen until the very end.

Rule one of visual advertising: show the product. They didn't show the product. They linger on the view out the window for 90% of the spot. Not sure how many tickets B.D. Wong sells, or to whom UA thinks it's talking to.

Originally Posted by fly747first (Post 21018095)
And p.s. will be perceived as even less luxurious once AA puts its new 3-class A321s on these routes.

After watching the AA cabin fly-through video, you may conclude UA ain't exactly winning the science fair, here.

goodeats21 Jun 30, 2013 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by DBCme (Post 21017542)
Look, p.s service is good. But if an ice cream sundae is a perk worth including in a short commercial then there is a serious misunderstanding by management about what customers want when flying bizfirst. Show me the the focus group transcripts & customer feedback surveys where an ice cream sundae is what pulls people off the fence and onto a UA bird. The worst part is the suggestion this is what you would expect on an international flight. They should use caution mixing the two products...

Very well stated.

Overall, horrible messaging.

colpuck Jun 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by milesmuncher (Post 21018128)
Gimme a break.

I wrote this post when I saw the info come out because I thought people who might not follow United on Facebook would still be interested in it. I then posted links to the post in all my usual places (Facebook, Twitter, Google+). And then I figured "hey, I bet people in the UA forum on FlyerTalk would be interested as well - let me see if anyone has posted it yet." No one had posted it yet, so I shared the link.

Yes, I could have gone back and pulled the YouTube link directly, but I already had my link copied. The ease of hitting "Ctrl+V" trumped my desire to placate those who think blogs can do no right. Seeing as you're the first one to complain, it doesn't seem like many other people really cared one way or another.

Feel free to post the direct link to YouTube if it upsets you that much.

You wrote more here for this post then you did on your blog. My definition of blogspam is does the post contribute to the discussion, if no then it is blogspam. I get that every blogger wants to be the first-to-publish, but there was no added content to justify the blog post.

File me under the second one to complain.

halls120 Jun 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 21018230)
Rule one of visual advertising: show the product. They didn't show the product. They linger on the view out the window for 90% of the spot. Not sure how many tickets B.D. Wong sells, or to whom UA thinks it's talking to.

That was my first thought watching the commercial - the spot focuses on the window, not the product. Are they embarrassed to show it?

luv2ctheworld Jun 30, 2013 7:15 pm

I don't get the Matt Damon comment and it doesn't look like BD Wong.

But the real issue is that the commercial sucks and it really does not highlight anything visually. The commercial does not make me want to fly United

UA-NYC Jun 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld (Post 21018354)
I don't get the Matt Damon comment

Just google "Matt Damon Jimmy Kimmel" ;)

Originally Posted by Air Houston (Post 21018360)
Isn't looking out the window more aspirational than showing the product? Seems that most posters want aspirational rather than product.

See the recent AA/DL spots that find a nice balance of both product as well as aspiration. IMO even the new WN spots are pretty solid, not that I'd ever go out of my way to fly them.

This one does neither well.

Air Houston Jun 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 21018336)
That was my first thought watching the commercial - the spot focuses on the window, not the product. Are they embarrassed to show it?

Isn't looking out the window more aspirational than showing the product? Seems that most posters want aspirational rather than product.

milesmuncher Jun 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by colpuck (Post 21018322)
You wrote more here for this post then you did on your blog. My definition of blogspam is does the post contribute to the discussion, if no then it is blogspam. I get that every blogger wants to be the first-to-publish, but there was no added content to justify the blog post.

File me under the second one to complain.

So filed.

I can understand your perspective if someone had posted a link to the video and I replied with a "hey I posted about this!!!" with a link that added nothing to the discussion. This was different. There was no discussion. My starting this thread started the discussion on FT.

The purpose of the blog post was to share the video with my readers who might not have otherwise seen it. I honestly didn't think it deserved an in-depth analysis and commentary. I still don't. It's a crappy ad, plain and simple.

unavaca Jun 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by milesmuncher (Post 21018363)
The purpose of the blog post was to share the video with my readers who might not have otherwise seen it.

PSA: you can (yes, even now!) edit your original post to change your blogspam link to go directly to Youtube. I have included the direct link up-thread.

milesmuncher Jun 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca (Post 21018386)
PSA: you can (yes, even now!) edit your original post to change your blogspam link to go directly to Youtube. I have included the direct link up-thread.

I'm good, thanks for the tutorial though.

halls120 Jun 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Air Houston (Post 21018360)
Isn't looking out the window more aspirational than showing the product?

Not particularly, but YMMV.

nevansm Jun 30, 2013 7:37 pm

This is hilariously horrible. Is SMI/J's son running their marketing campaign from his dorm room. UAL, get a clue lately.

EsquireFlyer Jun 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Not a very impressive ad. You can't even see the seat. Also, the continuity error. He already "had a delicious four-course meal," but is asked to be awakened for the fourth course (ice cream sundae)? So did he have it or not? (And where is the table cloth? :p)

demkr Jun 30, 2013 7:46 pm

What does this video have to do with BD Wong or Matt Damon? Am I missing something?