Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Mobile App Update - New Layout and IRROPS Features

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:03 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we recently released an update to the United Mobile App for Apple, Android, BlackBerry 10 and Windows 8 products. Here’s a quick rundown of a few of the key changes:

Graphics and Layout: Most visibly, for Apple/Android/Win8, we’ve updated the way we organize and present information on the app – namely, moving more information ‘above the fold’ on the home screen, and making buttons on other screens easier to see.

Flight Search during IRROPS: One of the major updates to the app that you might not notice immediately is the ability to “re-shop” for different flights in the event of IRROPS. This is a function that we’re going to do a lot more with over the coming months, but right now it allows you to do what you could previously only do through a kiosk—choose a different flight if the automated re-booking option isn’t suitable. This feature is available for all devices that get the update.

We’ll also have this information in a press release scheduled for next week, but now that the update has been released I want you to be among the first to know about some of the new features.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Flight Search during IRROPS: One of the major updates to the app that you might not notice immediately is the ability to “re-shop” for different flights in the event of IRROPS. This is a function that we’re going to do a lot more with over the coming months, but right now it allows you to do what you could previously only do through a kiosk—choose a different flight if the automated re-booking option isn’t suitable. This feature is available for all devices that get the update.
^^^ if this works as advertised

i was prompted to update the app yesterday and the layout improvements are nice. if only the people working on SHARES could learn a thing or two from the people writing the code for these apps.

thanks for the update, Aaron.^
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: United Gold
Great news! Thanks Aaron!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
When is the IRROPS rebooking coming to mobile web?

Not everyone wants a Apple/Android/Win8 phone.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I saw the updated IRROPS rebooking options on the kiosk yesterday. It was allowing me to choose alternative flights 2 days into the future, which was interesting to say the least.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by mduell
When is the IRROPS rebooking coming to mobile web?

Not everyone wants a Apple/Android/Win8 phone.
There are other mobile platforms?

/offtopic
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Flight Search during IRROPS: One of the major updates to the app that you might not notice immediately is the ability to “re-shop” for different flights in the event of IRROPS. This is a function that we’re going to do a lot more with over the coming months, but right now it allows you to do what you could previously only do through a kiosk—choose a different flight if the automated re-booking option isn’t suitable. This feature is available for all devices that get the update
+1000 if this works as advertised. I've actually been very happy with the mobile app on my iPhone and the functionality from SDC to viewing the upgrade list (the issues on how the list works being unrelated) to auto-updating when getting upgraded (and updating in Passbook as well). Ideally it will be a while until I have an IRROPS situation to test this on but it definitely is a good change.

My only concern would be with regards to what rights are given up if you use this functionality. Hopefully UA Insider can clarify this, but if I shop for another flight (different from the automated re-booking option) are all rights to compensation from that IRROPS event waived since in essence I as the customer am voluntarily selecting a new flight?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: United 1MM 1K, KLM/AF Plat, BA Gold, Marriott Plat
Please create a proper iPad version

Some of us travel with iPads not iPhones. It's awful to look at the App in 2x mode.

Please create a version that properly renders in iPad dimensions without pixel scaling.

Thanks!

EndlosLuft
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I updated the UA app 2 days ago and immediately noticed the increased function, including the Irrops function.^

That said, for today's flight for SLC-DEN, PreCheck didn't show on my mobile boarding pass, yet I received the 3 beeps when my BP was scanned. I'm not sure if this is a glitch, and will be curious to see more reports, or for my next DEN-xxx trip in a couple of weeks.

Overall, I like the new layout, with one minor complaint: the button for seeing where my flight is coming from isn't a button like before. Now you click on the text, which isn't as obvious as the previous setup. Overall though I like the increased function.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by EndlosLuft
Some of us travel with iPads not iPhones. It's awful to look at the App in 2x mode.

Please create a version that properly renders in iPad dimensions without pixel scaling.

Thanks!

EndlosLuft

I agree, but please don't go overboard with excessive pictures and non intuitive layout like Delta's iPad app.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
This thread reminds me, there's a slight glitch with your Passbook boarding pass. You forgot to include the date security at MUC spent five minutes puzzling over it this morning, then laughed at UA's mistake and waved me through.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by unavaca
There are other mobile platforms?

/offtopic
Hey, there are folks out there with a Nokia N950!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:50 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
Like the new cleaner interface on the app! Noticed the SDC page is a lot more condensed. It used to be pages long and required a lot of finger scrolling!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Hey, there are folks out there with a Nokia N950!
The N950 has an Android port. Time to upgrade
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

It boots up so much faster. This is on a iPhone 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.