Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How soon before a flight can a 1K cancel a reward flight before scheduled departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How soon before a flight can a 1K cancel a reward flight before scheduled departure

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P-MM

We're scheduled to do LAX/HNL this coming Sunday with friends, all on award tickets. My friend's dad has been really ill and he's been taking care of him. He thinks his brother can take over for him so that he can go with us, but there's the possiblity that his brother won't be able to make it, hence our friend not being able to make the trip.

I know that 1K's can cancel or change award flights without penalties, but is there any time limit on when you can cancel an award? Also, Can I cancel just one of three seats on a PNR?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by Bigbit
We're scheduled to do LAX/HNL this coming Sunday with friends, all on award tickets. My friend's dad has been really ill and he's been taking care of him. He thinks his brother can take over for him so that he can go with us, but there's the possiblity that his brother won't be able to make it, hence our friend not being able to make the trip.

I know that 1K's can cancel or change award flights without penalties, but is there any time limit on when you can cancel an award? Also, Can I cancel just one of three seats on a PNR?

Thanks for the help.
I called and asked the "1K 1Call dedicated line" ( ) and was told one minute before the flight took off.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Michael D
I called and asked the "1K 1Call dedicated line" ( ) and was told one minute before the flight took off.
Just a silly little side note: the person probably meant departure time, not take-off.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
As for the PNR, split off the traveler, and then cancel that reservation.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Even I am not a 1K, I called hours after departure, and the tickets were canceled without issues.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
I have simply forgotten to cancel an alternate trip and had the miles redeposit. Was pleased with that outcome.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P-MM
Thanks for the replies. Good to know just in case...
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Would the same apply for reward tickets issued for a different carrier?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.