United booking help for Europe

Old Jun 24, 13, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

United booking help for Europe

Hello, I am new to this whole thing. I have united miles and wanting to book to europe in may-june . Wanting to go to AMS, VCE, and Paris. Having hard time trying to book by the computer. or if I get two segment. Last segment does not allow award seat even though I know it is available. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 24, 13, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by yenflyertalk View Post
Hello, I am new to this whole thing. I have united miles and wanting to book to europe in may-june . Wanting to go to AMS, VCE, and Paris. Having hard time trying to book by the computer. or if I get two segment. Last segment does not allow award seat even though I know it is available. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sometimes you just have to call. The UA website just can't book everything. If you say the website wouldn't let you, they generally waive the phone booking fee. Or you could book an incomplete itinerary, and call immediately (within 24 hours) to make changes to it.
Old Jun 24, 13, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
How many segments are you trying to book? What's the exact itinerary? You won't be able to get all of those in one award ticket from the US. One of the legs will need to be an open jaw with transport other than the award ticket.
Old Jun 24, 13, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
How many segments are you trying to book? What's the exact itinerary? You won't be able to get all of those in one award ticket from the US. One of the legs will need to be an open jaw with transport other than the award ticket.
Whoops. Yeah, I guess I didn't read it closely.

Though it'd be nice if it would just price the whole thing including a one way in the middle, I know that's just too much to ask.
Old Jun 24, 13, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by penner42 View Post
Though it'd be nice if it would just price the whole thing including a one way in the middle, I know that's just too much to ask.
It would be *nice* if we could just get beamed to our destinations but the technology is not quite there yet. UA's web booking engine, though imperfect, if superior to all domestic competition.

To go Amsterdam-Paris, I would just take the train (Thalys).
Old Jun 24, 13, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
To go Amsterdam-Paris, I would just take the train (Thalys).
Ditto.
Old Jun 24, 13, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold 1MM, AS MVP 75K, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Ultimately you may need to call to get what you want.

You can use United.com to find availability for awards (but note that it is not exhaustive or 100% accurate). You may need to break it up in segments (i.e. search your home -> IAD, ORD OR EWR, then from there to AMS or Paris, and from Paris onward etc).

You should think about what order in which you want to do these cities, and where you use another airline/train to do part of your trip. United will allow you a stopover *and* open-jaw, so you could (for example) book your award USA->Venice, with stopover in Amsterdam and return from Paris -- so you fly USA->Amsterdam, Amsterdam-Venice (likely connecting in Germany or Switzerland), and then Paris-USA -- and buy a one-way ticket on a budget carrier to get from Venice to Paris.

Once you've figured out what is available, then you can call and piece it together with an agent on the phone.
Old Jun 24, 13, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP you cant fly to AMS then fly to VCE and then fly to CDG, unless you plan to be in 1 of them for < 24 hrs. 1 will be your final destination and 1 can be a stop over but if the 3rd is also over > 24 hrs then you are SOL, as you are allowed only 1 stop over. As others have said you can have an open jaw but you will have to pay your way between 2 of the cities
Old Jun 24, 13, 11:47 pm

I am in the process of helping my parents get to Rome. I am not as familiar with the booking process, and am also hoping for your help.

Here is what we want to do. Fly from DFW or Houston to Paris/Rome, for 3 nights, then fly to Rome/Paris for another 6 days. If we have to fly into London or somewhere else it's not an issue as long as it works.

The goal is to fly business class there and back, and coach while in Europe. Can open jaws be for a maximum time? And what about stopovers? Not sure I understand the differences. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
Old Jun 24, 13, 11:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Hookm36 View Post
Can open jaws be for a maximum time? And what about stopovers? Not sure I understand the differences. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
This would be a good start learning:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html
Old Mar 11, 14, 10:17 am

Best award availability routes to Europe?

Hi all - What's the best airport to fly to in Europe during the summer time to find SAVER mileage award availability?

I'm trying to plan a trip to ATH around end of June from SFO. Flights are super-expensive ($1700). Thinking of doing a mileage award trip to somewhere in Europe on a saver fare and then paying for a ticket on one of those european budget airlines.

Appreciate all advice

Thanks
Old Mar 11, 14, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
This will sound pithy, but the best route for availability is the one that has seats open right now.

Check them all. I'll just link to the list that sbm12 published last year, http://blog.wandr.me/long-haul-route...lantic-routes/ ; dunno if it's still up to date but it's certainly close.
Old Mar 11, 14, 11:45 am

Don't forget to look at AC's routes on smaller markets - e.g. YUL-BRU and most routes ex-YOW - these often sell out of saver seats later than other routes.
Old Mar 11, 14, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
This will sound pithy, but the best route for availability is the one that has seats open right now.

Check them all. I'll just link to the list that sbm12 published last year, http://blog.wandr.me/long-haul-route...lantic-routes/ ; dunno if it's still up to date but it's certainly close.
+1000

You won't know until you start searching.

Originally Posted by Indelaware View Post
Don't forget to look at AC's routes on smaller markets - e.g. YUL-BRU and most routes ex-YOW - these often sell out of saver seats later than other routes.
Neither is viable from SFO. YVR is the only Canadian city that connects easily to SFO. YYZ can be done but usually involves long layovers.
Old Mar 11, 14, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
With a O/D search I found saver reward economy from SFO-YYZ-MXP on 6/25 and 6/28-6/30. From there you can take EasyJet from MXP-ATH for around 100 euros.

Work backwards from here: http://www.low-cost-airline-guide.co...-to-Athens.htm

SunLover

Search this Thread