FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   "I am not your Mom!" Wow! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1478348-i-am-not-your-mom-wow.html)

MSPeconomist Jun 23, 2013 12:27 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 20970393)
Depends on where we are. Certainly in the States, but the SQ girls, for example, don't want to hear "please" and "thank you" (at least per my experience). The Germans also see it as overly gratuitous to say "thank you" and "please" for everything.

I would disagree with your comment about politeness in Germany/as commonly practiced by Germans. I find Germans to be very polite, using the words for please and thank you very often.

mherdeg Jun 23, 2013 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 20973243)
Really? Because bitte seems to be quite overused there. From "please" to "excuse me" to even "thank you".

Yeah, I think "bitte" doesn't have a 1:1 mapping to English. A lot like "prosím" in Czech.

DenverBrian Jun 23, 2013 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Hadrian35 (Post 20970720)
Of course they should. But everyone has their dignity and no one is immune from bad treatment. There is a breaking point and I rather have her snap at someone saying "yeah, gimme a tea" than take her resentment out the non-offending flyers.

There's no evidence that the request that prompted "Please?" was anywhere near as snarky as "yeah, gimme a tea."

Rudeness is cumulative and it goes both ways. I get edgy taking a dozen flights a month... i can't imagine what it's like to take a dozen a week and still remain civil.
Which is why taking a job as an FA is a choice, just like taking any other job. @:-)

seanthepilot Jun 23, 2013 11:02 am

Working in a customer service/ retail job as a college kid, words or phrases like "Please" "Thank you" goes a long way, both on my end and the customer's (I do make it easy when they say those "magic" word) :cool:
Yes, from a customer, please and thank you are important. But these are two different issues.

ANY SERVICE STAFF MEMBER that goes out of their way to throw out snide comments is hardly representing the company and, at bare minimum, needs to be reminded of acceptable and unacceptable behaviour. I wish this staff member were youtubed. Not a career ender, but certainly warrants a sit down, a warning, and an understanding that re-occurrences will lead to greater scrutiny and more...

The FA directed my request to another FA. The FA took my tube, looked at me in the face and said" I am not your mom, OK? !"

ShikaSenbei Jun 23, 2013 11:14 am

Comes from two sides really. Maybe the FA was having a bad day. Maybe some other passengers were being rude and demanding. Obviously she shouldn't have taken it out on someone that's just making a pretty easy request.

All in all, just give everyone a little respect. We're all human!

aCavalierInCoach Jun 23, 2013 12:12 pm

The good old days?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Think-of-her...item5af266ed87

mkrecek Jun 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by mediator (Post 20968449)
"Mommy is not here! You know where to find me after landing". She commented.

Yum! I get turned on by reading this. Was "Mrs. Robinson" being flirty?

pruss2ny Jun 23, 2013 8:18 pm

wow..am i the only one not to see huge problem with "not your mom" comment

agree that i feel like i'm missing something from the exchange..but op allowed that he is on the younger side...its not like the fa shoved the poster tube back in his hands...she just in a very colloquial manner was posting op that it was HIS responsibility to remember to ask for it back when he de-planed....that she wasn't going to search him out to make sure he picked it up.

maybe a touch informal, but i read her comment as trying to be human and humorous, not snide and derisive.

joban Jun 24, 2013 7:59 am

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach (Post 20975446)

Wow, I wish I was alive back then.

lhrsfo Jun 24, 2013 8:09 am

Originally Posted by pruss2ny (Post 20977349)
wow..am i the only one not to see huge problem with "not your mom" comment

The problem I see is that she probably should have said "I'm not your grand-mom!";)

BadgerBoi Jun 24, 2013 8:19 am

Originally Posted by omegadeal (Post 20970727)
"You're not my real Mom!"

^

emanon256 Jun 24, 2013 9:31 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 20979292)
The problem I see is that she probably should have said "I'm not your grand-mom!";)

Reminds me of this song. They need a Grand-Mom version :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ENMaN6bg9U

PV_Premier Jun 24, 2013 10:06 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNkp4QF3we8

jpezaris Jun 24, 2013 10:21 am

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE (Post 20972393)
Bet that the tube did not fit in the carry on box at the gate.
Too bad the FA did not make the OP check it ;)

Poster tubes are standard fare for graduate students and post-doctoral fellows to take their presentations to scientific conferences. All airlines are familiar with them, and they are nominally taken as carry-on luggage. They fit just fine in overhead bins (maybe not on the smaller CRJs, I don't exactly recall), but are small enough to fit in nearly any closet. The OP is correct that they can interfere with multiple other passengers' use of the overhead bins due to their length, and for the sake of not hogging space, are best put in a closet on a full flight.

In my field alone (neuroscience), there are tens of thousands of presentations annually, each of which has a poster, most of which are carried on. Over all fields of science, there must be a million posters transported annual (but that's a WAG). I'd assume that any FA that isn't familiar with posters must be new.

So, why the comment about not being the OP's mother? I don't care how bad a day the FA was having, or how young and helpless the OP looked, such comments are not appropriate for a professional in customer service.

valor155 Jun 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by bsb21 (Post 20969312)
Feel as if there is something missing here.

In think most of us would be livid at such a comment.

I once asked an FA for a tea and she said "Please?". I was pretty pissed.

Did you ask nicely in the first place?

I will say it is a little annoying when you use your manners, as you should, "please" and "thank you", and what you get back is "uhh-huh" and "yup". Like it is so painful to return the courtesy.

Oh well . . . still better to take the high road.