"I am not your Mom!" Wow!

Old Jun 22, 13, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Of course I was being polite and said please, thank you, etc.
Old Jun 22, 13, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer89 View Post
Working in a customer service/ retail job as a college kid, words or phrases like "Please" "Thank you" goes a long way, both on my end and the customer's (I do make it easy when they say those "magic" word)
Depends on where we are. Certainly in the States, but the SQ girls, for example, don't want to hear "please" and "thank you" (at least per my experience). The Germans also see it as overly gratuitous to say "thank you" and "please" for everything.
Old Jun 22, 13, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by tlott View Post
I am not defending bad manners, but an employee in a customer facing position should be able to tolerate rude (or rather, not positively polite) customers without potentially offending the customer.
Of course they should. But everyone has their dignity and no one is immune from bad treatment. There is a breaking point and I rather have her snap at someone saying "yeah, gimme a tea" than take her resentment out the non-offending flyers.

Rudeness is cumulative and it goes both ways. I get edgy taking a dozen flights a month... i can't imagine what it's like to take a dozen a week and still remain civil.

As for the OP. If you're still counting the years since it was legal for you to drink, you are a victim of your generation. Right or wrong, you guys are viewed as helpless and take it for granted that someone is going to do everything for you. It's not without reason... but the FA definitely shouldn't have do that. Joke back with her and walk away. Do your best to smooth it over....the alternative of fighting back is not a good idea.

One caveat, if the poster was clearly like a Transformers the Movie poster, you deserved it.
Old Jun 22, 13, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
"You're not my real Mom!"
Old Jun 22, 13, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
Honestly, the only answer in that situation would be "Of course you're not my Mom, my Mom is much younger than you".
Originally Posted by LaserSailor View Post
:-:

Ouch!
That will leave a mark.
Old Jun 22, 13, 6:31 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by Hadrian35 View Post
I get edgy taking a dozen flights a month... i can't imagine what it's like to take a dozen a week and still remain civil.
If you are an FA and flying makes you toss your civility, you are in the wrong line of work my friend.

I don't think the OP's age/generation have anything to do with it. FAs don't get a pass because some customers are younger/older than others.
Old Jun 22, 13, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Was the tube oversized? Were the over-head bins full? In that case, the FA's comment may have been over-the-top. If not, you come across as not knowing how to stow your carry-on. More and more UA a/c don't have closets which means such requests really annoy the FA's...not your problem per se but that's the context. I would also refrain from using 'madam' in addressing people. Ma'am is OK particularly if you pull it off with some southern drawl.
Old Jun 22, 13, 7:07 pm
Formerly damitssam

This entitlement needs to go away. This is your job. Everyone gets yelled at by a boss / customer in any other job. What makes an FA different. Suck it up and smile on.

That's what you get paid for. Personally, I would have been offended and caused a massive stir but that's just me.

Then again, I don't treat FAs as a servant. I would rather prefer everything be la carte and you can go into the back and take what you want... but that would never fly in an airline.
Old Jun 22, 13, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Bet that the tube did not fit in the carry on box at the gate.
Too bad the FA did not make the OP check it
Old Jun 22, 13, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE View Post
Bet that the tube did not fit in the carry on box at the gate.
Too bad the FA did not make the OP check it
My umbrella doesn't fit in the box, but if an FA told me I couldn't put it in the bin, I'd look at them like they were crazy. Long, thin things are generally permissible under the "let's all be reasonable" rule.
Old Jun 22, 13, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
Originally Posted by mediator View Post
The FA directed my request to another FA. The FA took my tube, looked at me in the face and said" I am not your mom, OK? !"
So she thought the other FA was your mom?
Old Jun 22, 13, 11:16 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM / Hilton Diamond
"Please"...hmmm
It all depends on the delivery. If she was trying to be funny maybe you just missed it. I wasnt there and maybe she was being snappy - roll with it. Say "with sugar on top" and wink. Maybe she gets the joke maybe not. You tried and she will recognizze that - maybe not until later.
Why waste time getting ticked about it - it profits you not.
Old Jun 23, 13, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Depends on where we are. Certainly in the States, but the SQ girls, for example, don't want to hear "please" and "thank you" (at least per my experience). The Germans also see it as overly gratuitous to say "thank you" and "please" for everything.
Really? Because bitte seems to be quite overused there. From "please" to "excuse me" to even "thank you".
Old Jun 23, 13, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Actually the tube fits the closet quite well. But if I stuck it into the overhead, other PAX will have hard time to put their carry on into the overhead. It was a full flight.
Old Jun 23, 13, 1:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I would disagree with your comment about politeness in Germany/as commonly practiced by Germans. I find Germans to be very polite, using the words for please and thank you very often.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: