Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cepheid
As just one example, IAD-SFO on a federal YCA fare is $168 one-way, or $336 round-trip.
Those that often fly on YCA are also *REQUIRED* to fly the contract carrier, which makes it much more challenging to achieve 1K.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by GBadger
Those that often fly on YCA are also *REQUIRED* to fly the contract carrier, which makes it much more challenging to achieve 1K.
They don't need to get 1K though, just silver to get to the top of the upgrade list.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
It matters LESS, but YES it matters

I say yes. I am a domestic 1K. I fly out of LAX/JFK/LGA to major US cities.

It matters to be #1 during IRROPS and get on the last flight home
It matters to the PMUA agents who still remember the value of a loyal customer
It matters because 100% bonus on 100k miles worth of domestic flights adds up
It matters because I can turn GPU's into domestic upgrades on transcons
It matters because 4 RPU's are better than 2
It matters because I'm ever closer to the top of the upgrade list
It matters for meal selection onboard (when followed)
It matters when check-in separates GS/1K from the rest
It matters as the cost of the UC is cheaper
It matters because you (theoretically) have access to higher quality phone agents, sometimes GS
It's gonna matter when I cross MM and my wife is 1K

FOR A DOMESTIC 1K IT MATTERS. Lots of international flyers are clouding the picture. You cant fly LAX-JFK/ORD/PDX on SQ or LH.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I say yes. I am a domestic 1K. I fly out of LAX/JFK/LGA to major US cities.

It matters to be #1 during IRROPS and get on the last flight home
It matters to the PMUA agents who still remember the value of a loyal customer
It matters because 100% bonus on 100k miles worth of domestic flights adds up
It matters because I can turn GPU's into domestic upgrades on transcons
It matters because 4 RPU's are better than 2
It matters because I'm ever closer to the top of the upgrade list
It matters for meal selection onboard (when followed)
It matters when check-in separates GS/1K from the rest
It matters as the cost of the UC is cheaper
It matters because you (theoretically) have access to higher quality phone agents, sometimes GS
It's gonna matter when I cross MM and my wife is 1K

FOR A DOMESTIC 1K IT MATTERS. Lots of international flyers are clouding the picture. You cant fly LAX-JFK/ORD/PDX on SQ or LH.

+1. I know I already gave my two cents but you said it much better than I did save replacing domest1K flying from NYC/LAX with domest1K flying from WAS.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Being based in SYD
Being 1k has meant the difference on always being on whatever flight had an open seat heading out or heading back so even when flights are canceled i'm always on the other option without fail or much drama

My 6 GPU's have proven to be worth $2200 each in fare savings with some creative use this year
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

As an International based (Saudi) 1K I soundly agree with the last several posts. As a 1MM & 1K member, my wife gets 1K status automatically, provided I retain 1K. The upgrades, the preferrential IRROPs treatment, the special Award Seat/Upgrade Inventory, and the 1K call center are very nice benefits. I may fall a few thousand miles short this year and the cost to buy 5,000 EQMs will be $2K or $3K but I will pay it to remain a 1K.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:39 pm

It matters to get my $60 statement credit because I need it!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by gpicur
The upgrades, the preferrential IRROPs treatment, the special Award Seat/Upgrade Inventory, and the 1K call center are very nice benefits.
1. Upgrade inventory for elites clears out of RN and upgrade inventory for non-elites clears out of R. Under previous management, RN > R, which meant that those with status got more upgrade inventory. Under current management, RN = R, which means there is no benefit to being elite in terms of accessing more elite inventory. You get the same inventory as a 1K as someone with Silver status would get.

2. The current management regime eliminated the 1K line and replaced it with a "Premier Line" which has different types of agents and is available to other status levels, not just 1K. This is no longer an incremental benefit of being 1K.

Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Being based in SYD
My 6 GPU's have proven to be worth $2200 each in fare savings with some creative use this year
To provide a counterpoint to this:

Last year, I used 2 GPUs for a 4-hour domestic flight that, under prior management team, I'd have been able to UG for free as CPU. Another 2 GPUs simply expired because they failed to clear on every flight I tried to use them on.

They ended up being worth nothing. First time in my life that I found myself in that situation. Under previous management team, I'd cleared all my GPUs on valuable international trips.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Govt flyers are generally-speaking paying less than you for their ticket. It simply has flexibility features.

GSA negotiates city pairs for exactly this reason.

Large companies negotiate similar deals. What is a deeply discounted inflexible fare bucket for most gets people, including the govt, the same treatment as if they had paid the full boat. But, they haven't. Nothing to worry about.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I deliberately dropped from 1K to PP last year because, even before the spending criteria, it was no longer worth it.

A point of clarification, they've never said that you have to "cough up" $10,000 to become 1K. In fact, they've said that you have to spend $10,000 in "qualifying" dollars to become 1K.

This means:

1. You need to spend more than $10,000 for them to arrive at something they'll count as $10,000, and

2. You'll need to spend more time trying to figure out which dollars count and which dollars don't count, and

. . . .

In my view, this brings the true cost well above $15,000. Perhaps even $20,000, depending on how you value your time, and the frustrations involved.
. . . .

1K makes no sense anymore. None whatsoever - for anyone who has choices.

I don't know what I'll end up doing for this year. But, it's likely to be Gold if anything at all. I'm inclined to dump the whole thing and walk away but I've got a pile of vouchers to use due to service delivery failures last year, and just burning those will get me close to Gold. ;_)
Thank you MitchMu--you have summarized my feelings exactly on the spendy part of the new qualification; and, I think my 2m gold status will be enough to navigate UA when it is the best bet. But it is just not worth the costs or hassle for travelers like myself who mostly go on our own dimes.

Flyer 420
in Seattle
Old Jul 19, 2013, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer420
Thank you MitchMu--you have summarized my feelings exactly on the spendy part of the new qualification; and, I think my 2m gold status will be enough to navigate UA when it is the best bet. But it is just not worth the costs or hassle for travelers like myself who mostly go on our own dimes.

Flyer 420
in Seattle
Yeah if I was a 2MM I would not fly UA. It is pretty much a garbage airline right now. I would fly whomever would deliver the best service and schedule, knowing of course that I could fly UA whenever and still have status.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by aacharya
The real number on purchased tickets then is $12,500 to $13,000 (assuming 20% of a ticket cost is tax, which is a very high estimate), not this hyper-inflated $20K garbage.
$2500 TATL ticket, $700 in taxes
2 GPU's applied
2 GPU's failed, though I did have the "joy" of being the bubble boy on the second flight - on a B fare (other segment was U fare).
2 GPU's I may need to call to have returned as they may not necessarily redeposit automatically.

Last edited by richk_30; Jul 19, 2013 at 10:29 pm Reason: Accurate ticket value
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by richk_30
$2500 TATL ticket, $700 in taxes
2 GPU's applied
2 GPU's failed, though I did have the "joy" of being the bubble boy on the second flight - on a B fare (other segment was U fare).
2 GPU's I may need to call to have returned as they may not necessarily redeposit automatically.
That doesn't sound like the 20% tax rate that aacharya is asserting as reality.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
That doesn't sound like the 20% tax rate that aacharya is asserting as reality.
I have gone thru my fares YTD (20+ RTs), all domestic, the base fares have run 84% to 92% (averaging 88%) of total fares. Understand certain international airports (sometimes based on cabin) can have additional taxes but I will need to leave those to others to run the numbers. So, for now, 2x $10K estimates appear to be a bit on the extreme side.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

MITCHMU, WOW that is news to me. About 10 days ago I bought a W class ticket for my wife ORD to Paris. When I checked the FARE CLASS bucket on United.Com I thought I saw R-0 RN-1. I have seen on other itineraries O-0 ON-1, etc. So I think there is a bit of an advantage for 1Ks. Also, the 800 XXX-1000 number I use is open to all premiers ? Who knew ?
1. Upgrade inventory for elites clears out of RN and upgrade inventory for non-elites clears out of R. Under previous management, RN > R, which meant that those with status got more upgrade inventory. Under current management, RN = R, which means there is no benefit to being elite in terms of accessing more elite inventory. You get the same inventory as a 1K as someone with Silver status would get.

2. The current management regime eliminated the 1K line and replaced it with a "Premier Line" which has different types of agents and is available to other status levels, not just 1K. This is no longer an incremental benefit of being 1K.

To provide a counterpoint to this:

Last year, I used 2 GPUs for a 4-hour domestic flight that, under prior management team, I'd have been able to UG for free as CPU. Another 2 GPUs simply expired because they failed to clear on every flight I tried to use them on.

They ended up being worth nothing. First time in my life that I found myself in that situation. Under previous management team, I'd cleared all my GPUs on valuable international trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.