Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition

Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ddrost1
you said it yourself "tail between your legs"...UA is now the survival of the fittest. if you show up asking to be trampled over by the beast, it will do just that.

not saying that is how it should be, but that is how it is unfortunately.
I don't understand, what was I supposed to do? Argue and risk getting taken off the plane? There was no other possible outcome that would have worked in my favor
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Parikh1234
Its amazing that in the past month, ive written to united once and will probably write to them again expressing my concerns. In the 10+ years I have been a onepass / mileage plus member, I have NEVER complained about anything. Heres a recap of my past 3 days flying united:

Flew LAX - SFO on Wed night. CPU processed and I was assigned 3A. On my way down the Jetway, a united rep chased me down and handed me a boarding pass for 8A. No equipment change, etc. I asked why I was downgraded (not really caring because its an hour flight, but more curious) and she said that she gave it to a guy who was complaining at the counter. I told her I was a 1k and was next in line for the upgrade. She said she wouldnt, not couldnt, do anything about it and told me to sit in 8A. I didnt want to cause a fuss so I tucked my tail between my legs and sat in 8A.

Flew the next day SFO - ewr red eye to make a 9 am meeting. Everything was great, got in 15 mins early. My bag didnt. I went to baggage services at EWR and the lady said they put my bag on the next flight. I arrived to SFO with more than ample time (about 1.5 hours before). I told her I was flying out today again to LHR and I had items I needed in that bag. She said I would get the bag back in 24 hours. I told her that didnt work and showed her my boarding pass, after she asked for both SFO - EWR, EWR - LHR. She said, "Im not touching your phone, stop showing it to me". I told her the only reason I am showing her my BP is because she asked for it. She said she would only state policy to me, over and over like a freaken robot, would not even reason with me. I told her I would wait by baggage claim and sat around for 2 hours to wait for my bag after a 5 hour red eye. I called 1k baggage, the lady was very nice. Said it was odd what I had to go through, I have her the rep's name. She said to call back after I got my bag and they would compensate me.

I called back later, the new 1k baggage rep said they dont compensate. I asked why my bag was taken off the plane, they said because of weight and balance. I had a <20 roller, the kind you can carry on. He said they usually dont take the priority bags off, but "it doesnt matter anymore". What the hell?!?

Now I get to the baggage checkin counter today for my EWR - LHR flight and I ask if there were any seats open in BF I could buy up to. The rep says, "I am not going to look for you, but you can surely look on the machine yourself." What kind of customer service is this? I thanked her for her time and left.

What kind of mutants does UA have working for them. Ive never experienced 3 days of travel like this in my whole time with CO / UA
Do you spend much time here in the forum? Nothing here that's out of the ordinary for the past 2-3 years. The only thing that surprises me is that, out of all these experiences, you never heard "there's nothing I can do" ... I'd have expected that to be stated to you at least a few times.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Do you spend much time here in the forum? Nothing here that's out of the ordinary for the past 2-3 years. The only thing that surprises me is that, out of all these experiences, you never heard "there's nothing I can do" ... I'd have expected that to be stated to you at least a few times.
You know I've been a member here forever. But I haven't been reading the bad experience threads. Also I'm embarrassed to say, I rarely post unless I have a bad experience that I need help with. I'll try and participate more
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:13 pm

You know I've been a member here forever. But I haven't been reading the bad experience threads.
If you do, you'll realize that your experience is not unique.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I don't understand, what was I supposed to do? Argue and risk getting taken off the plane? There was no other possible outcome that would have worked in my favor
seems to me neither case you reported actually happened on the plane, so you wouldn't be putting yourself at risk of that.

in the case of SFO-LAX downgrade you should have asked for downgrade compensation, which is valid even in the case of CPU and at times can be quite lucrative. that, or complained louder than the other guy who you said took your seat by complaining

in the case of the baggage situation, you should have just dealt with a different rep. EWR is a large airport and although it is very hard to find someone there with a decent attitude it can be done. another option would have been to allow the bag to go unclaimed and reclaim it at baggage service office when you got back to EWR later that day for your LHR flight.

my point is that unfortunately in this day and age at UA, you have to not only know the ins and outs of all the rules but you also have to be forthright. the most important line to know is "i'd like to speak to a supervisor". it's sad that this is what is has come to but it is what it is if you want to fly UA.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ddrost1
seems to me neither case you reported actually happened on the plane, so you wouldn't be putting yourself at risk of that.

in the case of SFO-LAX downgrade you should have asked for downgrade compensation, which is valid even in the case of CPU and at times can be quite lucrative. that, or complained louder than the other guy who you said took your seat by complaining

in the case of the baggage situation, you should have just dealt with a different rep. EWR is a large airport and although it is very hard to find someone there with a decent attitude it can be done. another option would have been to allow the bag to go unclaimed and reclaim it at baggage service office when you got back to EWR later that day for your LHR flight.

my point is that unfortunately in this day and age at UA, you have to not only know the ins and outs of all the rules but you also have to be forthright. the most important line to know is "i'd like to speak to a supervisor". it's sad that this is what is has come to but it is what it is if you want to fly UA.
For me, none of these issues would have been worth making a fuss. Not for a one hour flight, and not for a two hour bag delay. Walking away is sometimes the right thing to do.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by planeluvr
Not the best way to value items.
Maybe not but that's the going price in the "underworld". I value them at the price of a bottle of 24-year old single malt each.

I've been 1K since moving over to UA from AC a few years ago and dropped down to Plat for this year. My plans were to requalify for Plat but with the spat of $600-$800 MRs to the Middle East/Israel I decided it would be easy enough to earn the additional 25K+ for a reasonable $1400. There is enough of a difference I've found to make it worth the investment and that doesn't include the SWUs/GPUs.

Last edited by Shareholder; Jun 21, 2013 at 10:26 pm
Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
That ended on 10/1/2010, with the final unplug on 3/3/12.

That coincided with my final year as a 1K, and it was awesome.
so what airline do you fly now?

BTW, im writing this as I am waiting to fly in a middle economy seat to LHR. This is going to be painful....
I dripped down and kept Gold on a mix of SQ+UA and gave some domestic to WN.

My usual run rate would get me to Plat. When I hit 1K in '09-'11 it was due to me buying an extra transpac on my own dime to get there.

No regrets giving up 1K. The new regime shattered the key travel/award benefits of that level.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 3:33 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Last week I fought my way home SJC to ALB through IRROPS and weather, ended up taking 4 segments to get home, all on standby. I was number 1 on all segments, cleared every one, was upgraded on 3/4 and made it home that dat against Mother Nature. Is 1K worth it? My kids thought so!
Old Jun 22, 2013, 4:20 am

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Flew the next day SFO - ewr red eye to make a 9 am meeting. Everything was great, got in 15 mins early. My bag didnt. I went to baggage services at EWR and the lady said they put my bag on the next flight. I arrived to SFO with more than ample time (about 1.5 hours before). I told her I was flying out today again to LHR and I had items I needed in that bag. She said I would get the bag back in 24 hours. I told her that didnt work and showed her my boarding pass, after she asked for both SFO - EWR, EWR - LHR. She said, "Im not touching your phone, stop showing it to me".
Now I get to the baggage checkin counter today for my EWR - LHR flight and I ask if there were any seats open in BF I could buy up to. The rep says, "I am not going to look for you, but you can surely look on the machine yourself." What kind of customer service is this? I thanked her for her time and left. ".
I would say that both incidents are less UA and more EWR. This is typical of the uniformly bad attitude I've encountered over the years there. I used to fly CO from EWR quite a bit and even though the service was convenient (avoiding the then-awful LHR-EDI/BFS/GLA connections) it wasn't worth putting up with the bad Newark attitude. Perhaps the connections aren't as frequent but maybe next time LAX-IAH/IAD-LHR will work better? I know that IAD isn't the greatest airport but I've never encountered the kind of rude service you're describing there. IAH may be longer but it's a decent airport with polite people.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: UA GS
What kind of mutants does UA have working for them. Ive never experienced 3 days of travel like this in my whole time with CO / UA
Your experiences sound awful. I've been flying UA for about 4 years now (was AA before company switched contracts) and have been generally happy with all of my experiences. I've never encountered any horror stories like this, and even the agents I've had to interact with at EWR have been friendly.

Maybe I just don't interact with the customer service side of the house as much on all my travels.

I have no doubt that your stories are true, and indeed terrible, and all I would recommend is you send an email to customer service with as much detail as possible (maybe even to Smisek's office) as you'll likely get some compensation.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn
I would say that both incidents are less UA and more EWR. This is typical of the uniformly bad attitude I've encountered over the years there.
As a 1K through 2012, EWR was always a strange mix of terrible and fantastic. Some of the gate agents were amazing, others could barely work the computers. Same dichotomy for service levels, and I could never predict.

One favorite: Before deciding to let 1K drop, we showed up at EWR to check in for an international business class flight to Europe. Go to business check in area. EMPTY. Awesome, I think. Agent guarding the area lets us through. FOUR agents at four stations standing, checking their phones and chatting.

I walk up, hand over documents and the agent says "Oh, you're 1K," and I'm pleased to be recognized. She hands back our itinerary and passports and continues, "You should be fine using the kiosk, we're here to help if you have problems" and goes back to her phone. So I check us using the kiosk that is directly in front of her, at her station.

I have no issues using the kiosks and do so all the time, but didn't feel like dealing with the passports, etc. and it was empty. My (WN A+/Companion Pass flyer) wife's comment was "wow, 1K AND in international business class? Southwest has much better/friendlier service."

That day was a (not the sole) factor in my decision. YMMV.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
For me, none of these issues would have been worth making a fuss. Not for a one hour flight, and not for a two hour bag delay. Walking away is sometimes the right thing to do.
And that's one of the reasons things have gotten to where they are. UA continues to cut costs and service standards until there is pushback from the pax.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Is 1K worth it...?

Interesting question of late..(and I am not referencing the PQD stuff).

I ended up on a US Air leg this week. UA option involved a CR2, which I will not fly absent dire emergency, so I flew a rare non-UA domestic flight.

Service was VERY good.

Interaction with Ticket Counter: No line, friendly service, engaging attitude. Made sure my M+ number was on the record and gave me a much better seat, I imagine due to Star Gold.

Gate Agent: Easy going, professional, non-chaotic. Why is it that every UA flight lately is like it is their first time boarding a plane? Rushed, frantic, yelling over the PA, etc.

Flight: On time, friendly FA (though I don't care for their uniforms ), clean plane. No waiting for ground crew, baggage was amazingly quick.

This is not a "I am bailing on UA" thread, but as UA continues to down-guage my home airport options and cannot seem to get a UAX flight on time...it does increase the volume of the little voice in my head which seems to be sAAying a lot lately.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Its amazing that in the past month, ive written to united once and will probably write to them again expressing my concerns. In the 10+ years I have been a onepass / mileage plus member, I have NEVER complained about anything. Heres a recap of my past 3 days flying united:
You have been extremely lucky in the past. Those three days just bring the average a bit closer to UA normal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.