Wiki Posts
Search

MileagePlus Account Audit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond
MileagePlus Account Audit

I have had to request missing miles twice this year. Each time my account was credited more PQM's than I was entitled. The first instance was a missing fare class bonus. Instead of removing the incorrect flights, they added the flights again with the new fare class. The second instance was missing miles from a partner flight that does not qualify for PQM's. They credited the flight with PQM's.

Does United audit accounts at the end of the year? Will they eventually correct these errors (which are clearly in my favor)? I even tried calling the MilagePlus Service Center, but they didn't know what to do.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Yes, in December 2011, they audited accounts, and removed erroneous postings.

Despite promises by UAInsider to honour earned status with said errors "no need for MRs", it was just a lie, and the promise was never kept.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yes, in December 2011, they audited accounts, and removed erroneous postings.

Despite promises by UAInsider to honour earned status with said errors "no need for MRs", it was just a lie, and the promise was never kept.
Definitive proof of the 2nd item? I saw #1, never saw someone actually lose status.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Definitive proof of the 2nd item? I saw #1, never saw someone actually lose status.
There were a few (rightfully angry) folks that dropped status due to corrections made in their 2012 MP balance (in Q1 2013)... and when they called MP, they were SOL.

They couldn't even purchase additional PQMs since it was well after Dec 31st.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
IIRC they also audited accounts for posting errors around the time of the merger almost a year after the fact (there was a lot of outcry on FT).

OP don't plan on keeping those extra miles, and don't plan on UA telling you when they disappear either.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcho
There were a few (rightfully angry) folks that dropped status due to corrections made in their 2012 MP balance (in Q1 2013)... and when they called MP, they were SOL.

They couldn't even purchase additional PQMs since it was well after Dec 31st.
Thanks. I would be beyond livid at that one.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personal experience? Lost 11000PQMs, noone at UA had a clue, Numerous PMs and appeals to UAInsider after the fact, dropped to Gold for 2012.

I would've been fine, or made a last minute run, if they just didnt lie and said erroneously earned status would be honoured.

I tried searching, and I cant dig out the thread
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Personal experience? Lost 11000PQMs, noone at UA had a clue, Numerous PMs and appeals to UAInsider after the fact, dropped to Gold for 2012.

I would've been fine, or made a last minute run, if they just didnt lie and said erroneously earned status would be honoured.

I tried searching, and I cant dig out the thread
Ah, pre Day 1. Now I understand - there was the same issue post Day 1 and they honored all the 2012 mistakes.

This is a different instance.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, pre Day 1. Now I understand - there was the same issue post Day 1 and they honored all the 2012 mistakes.

This is a different instance.
yup. Dec.2011. Last minute. "no need for MRs, we are honouring all status earned" BS.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: UA GS/Global Entry
In June of last year (2012), I took an LH flight from CPH-FRA booked through UA in a P business class fare. This flight is well under 1,000 miles (only about 45 mins in the air). Anyways, around September of last year, the miles/PQMs had still not posted so I wrote to GS customer service. They said it was a problem with the P fare, and while they would not be able to get the miles posted for a few days, as a gesture of goodwill the agent offered me 12,500 miles (not PQM). About an hour after I got this email, I checked my UA account and saw that the agent put in 125,000 miles by accident (I was ecstatic). While I did not notify UA, I decided to not spend the extra miles that were mistakingly awarded. This decision payed off, as last December I got an email from GS letting me know about the mistake and that they were removing the extra miles. The short answer is yes, they do frequently audit accounts, and while you will not get in trouble because the mistake isnt your fault, they will take the extra miles back.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Well, it's very simple. If you know you earned these miles in error, don't count them. You really have no right to them anyway. If you've earned 9800 PQM's in error it would be smart to make sure you fly 109800 miles to expect 1K. If UA never takes anything away from you, it's a nice gift and if they do, you were prepared for it but I have little sympathy for someone that counts on miles they know they have no right to
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium; Hyatt - Globalist; United - 1K
Miles Removed

I recently had third-party miles removed (Avis) for unknown reasons. It was ~ 2000 miles (not PQM), which sucks, but wasn't worth a follow-up.

So yes, they do audit accounts in some fashion.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:25 am

I have a hard time understanding how these audits for UA (non-third party) miles are cost-effective.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetAway
I have a hard time understanding how these audits for UA (non-third party) miles are cost-effective.
Trend analysis. If you see it in one account, you see it in thousands. That adds up....but from a beancounter perspective only. It only miffs customers.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 am

Trend analysis. If you see it in one account, you see it in thousands. That adds up....but from a beancounter perspective only. It only miffs customers.
Are you saying that UA makes thousands of mileage posting mistakes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.