Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rpcfly
I seriously doubt you're going to get audited. I change my address with UA at least 1-2 times a year depending where I am doing most of my work. . Last year it was the UK and the US. This year it's been Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur. I do have residences in each place and update my address change whenever I arrive.
When the MileagePlus computer crashes on the address check, we know you caused it
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 5khours
Exactly right. There is nothing that says the address has to be your legal residence, domicile or primary residence. ...
...yet. I wouldn't put it past them to roll out a T+C change that requires a foreign address to be substantiated by an employment document, government residency card, drivers license or tax return depending on the number of new foreign addresses that hit the system between now and 12/31.

For now I'm comfortable with my utility bills and bank statement as sufficient proof - hopefully that doesn't change and hopefully some program security auditor doesn't start deciding that ex-US address changes occurring after Tuesday's announcement are for spend avoidance and arbitrarily close accounts.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:07 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by bocastephen
...yet. I wouldn't put it past them to roll out a T+C change that requires a foreign address to be substantiated by an employment document, government residency card, drivers license or tax return depending on the number of new foreign addresses that hit the system between now and 12/31.

For now I'm comfortable with my utility bills and bank statement as sufficient proof - hopefully that doesn't change and hopefully some program security auditor doesn't start deciding that ex-US address changes occurring after Tuesday's announcement are for spend avoidance and arbitrarily close accounts.
Don't think they can ding you just for avoiding the spend allowance. You have to do something that's actually fraudulent. Also as noted, DL allows you to provide proof with one of any of about a dozen different types of documents. So it's not too onerous. As long as you have a legitimate address it should not be a problem.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:16 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Don't think they can ding you just for avoiding the spend allowance. You have to do something that's actually fraudulent. Also as noted, DL allows you to provide proof with one of any of about a dozen different types of documents. So it's not too onerous. As long as you have a legitimate address it should not be a problem.
That's the T+C today - but we're talking about the 'new' United which could change the rules overnight if it felt the 'spirit' of the new revenue requirements was being avoided by too many MP members suddenly going 'expat'.

At least DL is waiving the requirements for *all* SM Medallions who meet spending requirements on their credit card, and appears poised (although I don't trust them) to enhance the Medallion experience for the remaining members once they "rid the membership rolls of undesirable riff-raff".

Did UA offer an adjunct announcement that introduced new benefits for members in 2015 who meet the spend requirements? No. Probably because more service cutbacks are planned.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 4:52 am

That's the T+C today - but we're talking about the 'new' United which could change the rules overnight if it felt the 'spirit' of the new revenue requirements was being avoided by too many MP members suddenly going 'expat'.

At least DL is waiving the requirements for *all* SM Medallions who meet spending requirements on their credit card, and appears poised (although I don't trust them) to enhance the Medallion experience for the remaining members once they "rid the membership rolls of undesirable riff-raff".

Did UA offer an adjunct announcement that introduced new benefits for members in 2015 who meet the spend requirements? No. Probably because more service cutbacks are planned.
Again, I think the reason for the foreign exemption is legal. UA and DL don't have any choice so I don't think they can change them.

As a 1k I look at the recent changes as a major enhancement for me since there will be significantly less competition for UGs and award tickets. (Of course, it's certainly possible that a strike against 1K/GS is about to be delivered from the Death Star but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
And none of those would apply for someone retired and living in a country where driving is not necessary and where government residency cards don't exist.

Proof of address I can (potentially) understand, the rest not so much.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:24 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
I just have to say anyone legally residing in the US thinking they will circumvent the spend requirements in 2014 with an address 'trick' is deluding themselves.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
I have noticed that the website started to direct you to the local site automatically whereas in the past if you entered .com then you went to the US site. Now .com has language and location options.
This has been around for awhile, but in the last month it's gotten totally flaky and seems to randomly change the language / locale of the website without rhyme or reason.
Yes the option to change site has been present for a long time (on CO.com) and my experience of UA/ CO not remembering your chosen site (despite remembering your account) also goes back years. One of a few glitchy things inherited from the CO website.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I just have to say anyone legally residing in the US thinking they will circumvent the spend requirements in 2014 with an address 'trick' is deluding themselves.
Why? Many of us have legitimate addresses in other countries - it's certainly not a 'trick' to move our accounts to that address as it's perfectly in line with the program T+C. Is United going to analyze the motivation of every member who moves their account? United cannot prove our motivation unless they discover the actual address for the account is not legitimate.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I don't think that's correct. I think you may run into trouble if you don't have a legitimate foreign residence, but I don't think it will be a problem if you have a foreign residence and also are legally residing in the U.S.

Why? Many of us have legitimate addresses in other countries - it's certainly not a 'trick' to move our accounts to that address as it's perfectly in line with the program T+C. Is United going to analyze the motivation of every member who moves their account? United cannot prove our motivation unless they discover the actual address for the account is not legitimate.
+1
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Here's why I think they exclude foreigners:

1) It's nearly impossible to spend < $10,000 for foreigners to get 1K unless they fly to the US and do lots of cheap flights. The < 10 cpm fares are typically domestic coast to coast for ~$300 so you earn 5,000 miles for $300. The cheapest K fare for LAX-NRT is $1250 not including taxes (does include YQ). So that's more than 10 cpm: 11,000 miles for $1250.

2) It's unreasonable to expect foreigners to consistently buy UA 016 tickets for non-UA Star Alliance.

I also think 2) is unreasonable for "global" people like myself. Fortunately, I have legitimate non-US addresses and my mileage plus address is currently in Japan.

Counting PQD for RTW tickets is going to be a huge mess. And it's outrageous considering that if you call UA and say that you want to buy a RTW starting in Japan with a first leg to Frankfurt they will say, sorry, we can't sell that to you. Meanwhile there is a great tool on the *A website that allows easy planning and booking with knowledgeable people who answer the phone instantly. They are LH staff and the tickets are LH stock.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think by convention, the first over-the-water carrier tickets RTW tickets. I wonder say if you do NRT-ICN-FRA, what happens.... Assuming UA still has NRT-ICN, would UA ticket?

Still, the biggest puzzle right now is how UA will calculate the revenue for non-016 tickets that are partially operated by UA.

I have no problem providing phone number/address/documentation/door keys for residences in 3 countries. However, if one looks at my MileagePlus transactions, it is obvious I live in the US.

I guess what happens might depend on how many people take advantage of the exception... If it is bad enough, they will probably figure a way to crack down on it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 23, 2013 at 11:51 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by username
I think by convention, the first over-the-water carrier tickets RTW tickets. I wonder say if you do NRT-ICN-FRA, what happens.... Assuming UA still has NRT-ICN, would UA ticket?

Still, the biggest puzzle right now is how UA will calculate the revenue for non-016 tickets that are partially operated by UA.
Not true. You can book anything via the *A website tool, which is effectively LH with LH ticket stock.

I have booked 2 RTWs this year starting with UA (ironically).

But UA would be so incompetent in dealing with a RTW ticket that it's not worth my time.

For your second question, I asked on the *A forum and someone gave some feedback about what SQ does; they have fixed amounts for segments. They have two separate paths to status. One by miles and one by revenue. Of course, they are stingy about giving miles for cheap tickets, which would be the better option for United.

For the latter, UA could still award full miles for cheap tickets (and not alienate infrequent non-status pax who spend 3 years for their domestic round trip) and then cut PQM for cheap ticket classes.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:58 am

+1
I honestly see no problem, unless UA starts vigorously cracking down by asking for proof of current residence etc.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
UA may have no CC offerings outside the US but almost every major airline WORLWIDE is tied up w at least one CC from the home country. I can't imagine it would be difficult for UA to negotiate some kind of seal w banks in Japan or the UK. Granted, the big banks are already tied in with airlines like BA, JL, NH etc but there are plenty of other banks who would probably jump at a deal. I imagine UA may have some kind of deal w Chase prohibiting this
UA does have overseas offerings (I have the UK MBNA Amex) but they suck, no sign-up bonus, no perks and earn 1 mile per 1 spend (i.e. 66% of the US rate).

Originally Posted by flyingbrick
Dunno about SHARES, but based on past experiences with non-US addresses, I would not be overly surprised if:

1) You could never check-in online
2) You sometimes were required to show the purchase cc at check-in
3) Sometimes have online purchase issues if your MP address and cc address don't match
4) TSA Pre may be a distant memory.
I can confirm I could checkin online with my US passport before moving to the US with a UK address on my account, I was never asked to show my cc at checkin, nor did I have issues with non-matching addresses. TSAPre is connected with your trusted traveller number and nothing else.

Originally Posted by txp
... by changing the definition of "US residence" from "country declared as residence on UA profile" to "country where your credit card is issued."
So would that be the country where my UK MP credit card is issued or my US MP credit card is issued? Those of us who have multiple claims to residence have multiple credit cards. Anyway I don't store a credit card on file with UA and the one I use for booking with vary on a journey by journey basis.

Originally Posted by dgdevil
TSA Pre might fall by the wayside, but I somehow qualified for that even though I'm not a US citizen.
I don't see why, GE isn't limited to US residents (US citizens qualify) and TSA simply rely on the airline providing your known traveller number to them at checkin.

Originally Posted by o mikros
However, they still want to woo international customers to fly with/credit to them, especially since they make money from pax on other airlines crediting to MP. The only way they can make that reasonable for those of us based outside the States (since our "domestic" travel is never on UA) is to waive the PQD requirement.
This seems most likely, I stuck with UA when overseas because of their relatively good redemption policy and the *A network meant I could earn status fairly easily. For non-US residents the key benefit of MP rather than *G on another carrier is E+; CPU probably doesn't matter as it's not available on the int'l leg and the luggage and boarding benefits are *G benefits anyway.

Again, I think the reason for the foreign exemption is legal. UA and DL don't have any choice so I don't think they can change them.
I doubt it, they already have plenty in the T&Cs (e.g. can change anything at any time, cancel account without compensation) that would be unlawful within most EU countries under their consumer protection regulations. This is much more likely about retaining overseas travellers who don't actually consume much of their benefits from UA but still credit miles to them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.