Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by Rpcfly
I seriously doubt you're going to get audited. I change my address with UA at least 1-2 times a year depending where I am doing most of my work. . Last year it was the UK and the US. This year it's been Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur. I do have residences in each place and update my address change whenever I arrive. I had to call for my GS credentials this year as they'd been sent to KL and I was in Tokyo for a couple of months, then on to Europe and didn't want to trek back to KL to pick them up. I only wanted them because some of the Asian/European *A carriers get a little weird when you don't have your card with you.

It does seem very strange that the new $$ spending is for US based MP members but then again nothing that UA does any more surprises me
They of course don't think about people like you. I wonder if they just look at the address on 12/31. I doubt they even normally track the changes.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:36 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by gnaget
They of course don't think about people like you. I wonder if they just look at the address on 12/31. I doubt they even normally track the changes.
I'm just wondering how many people will be "moving" dec next year to make it on miles if they don't reach the $$ threshold ? I've got room for at least 16-18

Various Continents, Countries and addresses available !!!!

Last edited by Rpcfly; Jun 21, 2013 at 4:49 am
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:39 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I'm just wondering how many people will be "moving" dec next year to make it on miles if they don't reach the $$ threshold ? I've got room for at least 16-18

I was thinking the same. I got basically "unlimited" room and a utility bill like a cell phone contract (which can be done for a few $/month) could be profitable

I should start a site - UAMPEXPAT.COM
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:54 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I have noticed that the website started to direct you to the local site automatically whereas in the past if you entered .com then you went to the US site. Now .com has language and location options.
This has been around for awhile, but in the last month it's gotten totally flaky and seems to randomly change the language / locale of the website without rhyme or reason.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:56 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by jason8612
I was thinking the same. I got basically "unlimited" room and a utility bill like a cell phone contract (which can be done for a few $/month) could be profitable

I should start a site - UAMPEXPAT.COM
Now you're getting crafty !!!! I'm sure they'll be at least 100+ takers on that offer.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:14 am

Here are the DL rules for reference.

Effective January 1, 2014, members with a primary residence in the United States (50 states and the District of Columbia) will begin qualifying for Medallion status based upon the following criteria:

Address Change

Country of residence is determined by the primary address in the member’s SkyMiles account at the time of qualification for Medallion status. Documentation may be required for some types of address changes. Please see the SkyMiles Membership Guide for more information and a list of acceptable documentation. Delta reserves the right to audit an account at any time for residency requirements, request further supporting documentation and update the address for any member's SkyMiles account using the National Change of Address (NCOA) data filed by relocating postal customers, but shall have no obligation to do so. Accounts found in violation are subject to penalty, up to and including termination of Medallion status and closure of the SkyMiles account.

Address Change
Using their Delta password, members may update their account address information by visiting My Profile. You can also update your account a
ddress by submitting the information via fax, mail, or by phone using your password. Members should include their SkyMiles number and signature on all requests and documentation. Certain address changes, including those moving from a primary addresses within the 50 United States and the District of Columbia to one outside of the United States, require the submission of additional documentation to complete and cannot be completed over the phone or online. Members will need to submit one of the following documents via mail or fax to complete the address change request, and the document must reflect a residential address and may not be the address of a corporation or business:

• Government issued ID with new address (Drivers License, learner’s permit,
Country/State-issued photo ID card
• Utility bill in customer’s name showing new address, dated within the past 60 days
• Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, or residential rental/lease agreement showing proof of ownership at new address, with customer’s name and signature. Lease must be dated within the past year.
• Bank statement with customer’s name and address, dated within the past 60 days (may block out sensitive information)
• Payroll statement with customer’s name and address, dated within the past 60 days (may block out sensitive information)
• Postal Service change of address confirmation form
• Current automobile or life insurance bill, or homeowners or renter insurance bill (cards or policies are not accepted)
• Copy of school records/transcript from a school in which the applicant is currently enrolled, issued by an accredited school
• Postmarked mail with forwarding address label (must display the customer’s full name)
• Receipt for personal property taxes or real estate taxes paid within the last year
• Letter from member’s employer on official company letterhead, detailing member’s current address. Letter must be signed by employee’s supervisor with supervisor’s full contact information Delta reserves the right to periodically audit any SkyMiles member’s account for address
accuracy, request further supporting documentation, and update the account address using the National Change of Address (NCOA) data filed by relocating postal customers, but shall have no obligation to do so
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:35 am

So my guess is that it is illegal in some countries to offer discounts or extras services to passengers who have a higher monetary spend (it's prohibited in the U.S. for goods under Robinson-Patman Act, but the Act does not apply to services, e.g. air travel, and there are other exemptions for the airline and travel industry in the U.S. as well).

Accordingly, it is illegal to engage in any promotions or marketing of these types of arrangements in those countries. This includes sending postal mail or email. Both DL are UA are very specific in saying residency is by the primary address you use for communication with them. The laws in these countries do not make any kind of distinction as to whether the person is resident or not. It is simply illegal to engage in these activities in those countries full stop. I also suspect that under contract law, DL can require that the address for the purpose of communication be a legitimate residential address, but they can not require that it be in the U.S. or that it must be your official primary residence.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Now you're getting crafty !!!! I'm sure they'll be at least 100+ takers on that offer.
I have just 'rented out' my spare bedroom upstairs to 20 disgruntled MP elites yesterday

Originally Posted by 5khours
So my guess is that it is illegal in some countries to offer discounts or extras services to passengers who have a higher monetary spend (it's prohibited in the U.S. for goods under Robinson-Patman Act, but the Act does not apply to services, e.g. air travel, and there are other exemptions for the airline and travel industry in the U.S. as well).
It has nothing to do with legality
a) Delta didnt do it, so UA had to follow
b) the move would make UA (and MP) extremely uncompetitive internationally. The only thing UA can compete on with the international customer is price and an excellent mileage program. Those are the only positive attributes of UA to people with choice of carriers.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
It has nothing to do with legality
a) Delta didnt do it, so UA had to follow
b) the move would make UA (and MP) extremely uncompetitive internationally. The only thing UA can compete on with the international customer is price and an excellent mileage program. Those are the only positive attributes of UA to people with choice of carriers.
I'm pretty sure it has to do with legality. (Caveat. I'm no expert and would love to have a lawyer chime in here.) Price discrimination laws are pretty prevalent in nearly all jurisdictions, and the problem both DL and UA run into is that to make the the contracts enforceable they have to have a method to serve process. Various laws make it acceptable to serve process by mail if the counter-party has the option to provide an address of an "abode" or maybe place of employment. If they DL/UA forces the counter-party to provide an address more specifically than just an abode, then the courts won't accept it as substitute method for service of process.

If the counter-party provides a foreign address then DL/UA has to comply with laws in that jurisdiction.

So they have a Hobson's choice, either they don't accept foreign addresses which means they can't serve process (except in person) and the contract is unenforceable, or they accept foreign addresses and they have to comply with the price discrimination laws in those countries.

Bottom line (I think) is that the only thing they can do is require you to provide the address of a legitimate place of abode, it doesn't have to be your legal residence, domicile or primary residence.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: UA GS MM, HHonors Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, AA, DL
Problems I do not have

Originally Posted by flyingbrick
Dunno about SHARES, but based on past experiences with non-US addresses, I would not be overly surprised if:

1) You could never check-in online
2) You sometimes were required to show the purchase cc at check-in
3) Sometimes have online purchase issues if your MP address and cc address don't match
4) TSA Pre may be a distant memory.
1. I have a US credit card, but live in Ecuador. I almost always check-in online without problems.
2. I am never asked to show the cc at the counter.
3. I don't make purchases thru MP. I have no problem with amazon.com which I use heavily and have shipments made to many different addresses using the MP cc.
4. I have both Global Entry and TSA Pre with no problems.

Last edited by Ecuacoflyer; Jun 23, 2013 at 4:10 am Reason: spelling error
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
so its clear there are no other major drawbacks besides account audit. Is united gonna use our flight pattern to screw us? While i have many legit addresses, most of my flights are in the USA
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: UA *G MM
For heaven's sake. Why don't they just reduce EQMs on cheap tickets like many other airlines? This is so bloody complicated.

I wonder what happens next year when I leave Japan. I would then change the address to Sweden. According to this they don't require anything if you change from outside US.

Originally Posted by 5khours
Here are the DL rules for reference.

Effective January 1, 2014, members with a primary residence in the United States (50 states and the District of Columbia) will begin qualifying for Medallion status based upon the following criteria:

Address Change

Country of residence is determined by the primary address in the member’s SkyMiles account at the time of qualification for Medallion status. Documentation may be required for some types of address changes. Please see the SkyMiles Membership Guide for more information and a list of acceptable documentation. Delta reserves the right to audit an account at any time for residency requirements, request further supporting documentation and update the address for any member's SkyMiles account using the National Change of Address (NCOA) data filed by relocating postal customers, but shall have no obligation to do so. Accounts found in violation are subject to penalty, up to and including termination of Medallion status and closure of the SkyMiles account.

Address Change
Using their Delta password, members may update their account address information by visiting My Profile. You can also update your account a
ddress by submitting the information via fax, mail, or by phone using your password. Members should include their SkyMiles number and signature on all requests and documentation. Certain address changes, including those moving from a primary addresses within the 50 United States and the District of Columbia to one outside of the United States, require the submission of additional documentation to complete and cannot be completed over the phone or online. Members will need to submit one of the following documents via mail or fax to complete the address change request, and the document must reflect a residential address and may not be the address of a corporation or business:

• Government issued ID with new address (Drivers License, learner’s permit,
Country/State-issued photo ID card
• Utility bill in customer’s name showing new address, dated within the past 60 days
• Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, or residential rental/lease agreement showing proof of ownership at new address, with customer’s name and signature. Lease must be dated within the past year.
• Bank statement with customer’s name and address, dated within the past 60 days (may block out sensitive information)
• Payroll statement with customer’s name and address, dated within the past 60 days (may block out sensitive information)
• Postal Service change of address confirmation form
• Current automobile or life insurance bill, or homeowners or renter insurance bill (cards or policies are not accepted)
• Copy of school records/transcript from a school in which the applicant is currently enrolled, issued by an accredited school
• Postmarked mail with forwarding address label (must display the customer’s full name)
• Receipt for personal property taxes or real estate taxes paid within the last year
• Letter from member’s employer on official company letterhead, detailing member’s current address. Letter must be signed by employee’s supervisor with supervisor’s full contact information Delta reserves the right to periodically audit any SkyMiles member’s account for address
accuracy, request further supporting documentation, and update the account address using the National Change of Address (NCOA) data filed by relocating postal customers, but shall have no obligation to do so
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
For heaven's sake. Why don't they just reduce EQMs on cheap tickets like many other airlines?
because others havent done it...

because they tried in the past and failed...

next is reduction of partner earnings (a la Delta)... redemption chart devaluation... then KLTS 50% earning.... give it time.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
And even if UA does audits based on address, what's to stop someone saying they are in the USA for work and that's where the company send them? Or traveling across the Canada-USA border to fly a cheaper ticket?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
And even if UA does audits based on address, what's to stop someone saying they are in the USA for work and that's where the company send them? Or traveling across the Canada-USA border to fly a cheaper ticket?
Exactly right. There is nothing that says the address has to be your legal residence, domicile or primary residence. As I said, I think there is some risk if you provide them with an address where you are never resident, but other than that I believe you are safe footing if you provide an address where you actually have a residence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.